KU TCU Official Gamethread

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: KU TCU Official Gamethread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Very rarely.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:17 am Harris was great last night, but that offensive output was more because of a change in offensive philosophy and making shots never hurts. Garrett played in the WVU game which was another great offensive performance and against a better opponent.

Harris is decidedly our backup PG.
Also, TCU is not nearly as good defensively or athletic or long as Texas.

That being said...it's great to ACTUALLY HAVE a backup PG. And he's earning an increase in PT.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:10 pm This may be the big question:

How much should Harris and Garrett be on the floor at the same time?
Quite a bit. Turn Garrett loose on the opponents best offensive player.

Harris is showing he's good enough to get minutes. But those minutes come from Enaruna, TGF, and Thompson...not Garrett.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I also worry about having 2 nonshooters on the floor at the same time, but Harris doesn't seem to be much worse there than TGF or Enaruna in that regard. We can get away with that even more when Wilson is at the 5.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:53 pm I also worry about having 2 nonshooters on the floor at the same time, but Harris doesn't seem to be much worse there than TGF or Enaruna in that regard. We can get away with that even more when Wilson is at the 5.

This^^^
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Isn’t Enaruna billed as at least sort of a shooter?

And/or wasn’t that supposed to be Mitch’s pet project during his redshirt?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

dajuan harris gives off lowkey chris paul vibes. tiny little 170 pound guard with a natural feel for the game and the players around him
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:09 pm Isn’t Enaruna billed as at least sort of a shooter?

And/or wasn’t that supposed to be Mitch’s pet project during his redshirt?
I'd take Enaruna's shot over Harris's, but not nearly enough to offset what Harris does for this team otherwise. It probably adds up to something like .5ish more 3's per game if Enaruna has Harris's minutes, but Harris creates so many more points elsewhere.

We're not missing out on 45% from 3 from Enaruna. He does look and feel like he's about a perfect small ball 4, but just has so long to go from a game feel standpoint. Especially when you consider that Jalen Wilson might actually already be a perfect small ball 4.

Mitch worked on his shot (which looks better!) in an attempt to play next to DMac, but Wilson quieted that terrible notion.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I want Enaruna to be good, and he has the tools.

But man, I'm not sure I've seen a guy make as frequent dumb/careless/unlucky mistakes as he does. I mean, I used to think he couldn't catch a break, but no one has that kind of bad luck.

It's like how some guys are just in the right place at the wrong time and you can't coach it...it seems like he's the opposite.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Enaruna and TGF look like they haven't played a lot of organized high-level basketball before KU, and they haven't.

But, it also means that we can pair some top 25 guys with upperclassmen Harris, Braun, TGF, Enaruna, etc. Bill has really figured out how to be good every single season in this era.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Harris can also be a pest on defense.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Why not small ball 5, then? (Re: Tristan)

I don’t know if Mitch worked on his shot just to play next to DMac, or to have the benefit of a big who can chuck regardless of lineup.

And granted Dajuan isn’t an all-Merican guard like Devon (yet...why not? *crosses fingers*), but Marcus has been on the court with another non-shooter guard for the last two years now.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, Self will figure it out.
Last edited by ousdahl on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I wonder whether TGF has enough skill to catch up to his athletic ability.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

small ball 5 is good in small doses, for certain matchups.

It's a good way to get your assed kicked and ensure you have no chance in the tournament if you go to it as your predominant set.

There's a reason that mid-major teams play small ball and most power conferences and pretty much all elite programs don't.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:11 pm Why not small ball 5, then?

I don’t know if Mitch worked on his shot just to play next to DMac, or to have the benefit of a big who can chuck regardless of lineup.

And granted Dajuan isn’t an all-Merican guard like Devon (yet...why not? *crosses fingers*), but Marcus has been on the court with another non-shooter guard for the last two years now.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, Self will figure it out.
Enaruna needs to get a lot stronger to play as the lone 5 for long stretches. Also plays too much like a perimeter player, which is his basketball future.

We got away with Marcus playing off-ball last year because of Udoka. It's pretty clear this team needs to shoot and hit a lot of perimeter shots to win. It's easier for this team to get to the 80's/90's than other teams, but they also kind of need to.