KU at Texas Official Game thread

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: KU at Texas Official Game thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:53 am
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:49 am holiday nails it - though I would say, I think this team, if they stick together, will be a top 10 team next season.

Jalen and Bryce will grow exponentially.
Ochai will be ready to take on a larger role.
DMac will work on positioning and letting the game come to him.
Braun will find his shot again.
Normally I'd agree...but this season other than NBA draft picks leaving, there's no reason to assume the teams ahead of us don't stay about the same roster wise. I don't know that we leapfrog 10-15 teams ahead of us.
Transfer PG to replace MG.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

The best lineup we had last night was BT, Harris, Wilson, Braun, and Och.

Don’t know why Self didn’t play it more than he did.

Forget Sims. Not like Texas posts up their bigs. They are just athletic bodies out there...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 am
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:49 am holiday nails it - though I would say, I think this team, if they stick together, will be a top 10 team next season.

Jalen and Bryce will grow exponentially.
Ochai will be ready to take on a larger role.
DMac will work on positioning and letting the game come to him.
Braun will find his shot again.
Normally I'd agree...but this season other than NBA draft picks leaving, there's no reason to assume the teams ahead of us don't stay about the same roster wise. I don't know that we leapfrog 10-15 teams ahead of us.
I know fran mentioned that.

But who is out there that could make a big difference?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Harris has surpassed my expectations.
I don't think he should be playing for long stretches this season.
Bryce however is showing something no one on our team has - speed.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

sdoyel wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 am The best lineup we had last night was BT, Harris, Wilson, Braun, and Och.

Don’t know why Self didn’t play it more than he did.

Forget Sims. Not like Texas posts up their bigs. They are just athletic bodies out there...
That lineup played great.

But Texas made adjustments. I know the argument is MG was in for BT...but I think their adjustments were to us playing 5 out generally. I don't know that swapping MG for BT in the second half changes anything. And that's the lineup that blew the lead.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 am

Don’t know.

Definitely can see it helping, though. Garrett’s D is good, but this group is starting to play really good team defense.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 am This team is best when MG plays off the ball and his sole focus is defending. He can get buckets when he is the second or third option on ISO plays. When you ask him to be 'the man' like Dtae, Frank or even Dot was that just isn't his game. He sat a good amount in the first half and should have had fresh legs but you could see in the second half his explosiveness was gone.

Dave, might be the most vilified player that I can remember in some time. Some of that is on him because he gets sped up. When he gets sped up he makes mistakes. When he slows down and lets the game come to him he can be a very efficient player. The problem is the rest of this team is just as prone to spaz outs just like him. Och, can't defend and is nothing more than a spot up shooter. Braun, scrappy but is also a spot to moving shooter. Harris, true PG but brings you nothing on offense. Wilson, probably the best player on this team but he is prone to making bad decisions forcing his offense.

Self, is asking two players - Dave and MG to be players they simply aren't. Not, at least against really good to elite competition. The problem is there are no other options to turn to. This team is what it is. They don't have elite, next level talent on this roster and when they play against teams that do it shows. Until Self can start recruiting those players again and mixing those in with guys that are great role players - i.e. Dave and MG these are the types of seasons I will expect.
I think it is pretty simple: this team just needs to add 1 nba draft worthy stud.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

It was funny. In the first half I thought early on Texas best offense was throw the ball up at the rim, crash the glass and get second chance opportunities but you could see, as Self as pointed out numerous times before how do you close the half. Texas, started to turn the tide going into the half and picked up right where they left off going into the second.

MG, has to be on the floor. If nothing more for the defense and rebounding. Going small wasn't going to win because eventually teams will figure out Bryce can only go right and Harris can't score.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TBD
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:12 am

TBD
But I'm looking at the pool of players. There's not a game changing pg out there. And it's a big ask to have a first year player run the show. Dotson did that...but he's about the only one. Even Tyshawn was playing next to Collins.

I tried googling lists of top PGs for this season...here's what I found. Marcus is on most of those lists, and I don't see anyone great who seems likely to be available.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

just looking at the transfer portal for 2021, there are 2 4* combo guards that are undecided, Nimari Burnett and Jaykwon Walton
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:15 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:12 am

TBD
But I'm looking at the pool of players. There's not a game changing pg out there. And it's a big ask to have a first year player run the show. Dotson did that...but he's about the only one. Even Tyshawn was playing next to Collins.

I tried googling lists of top PGs for this season...here's what I found. Marcus is on most of those lists, and I don't see anyone great who seems likely to be available.
I think just having a PG that’s a legit threat to hit perimeter shots would do wonders for the team. It’s a pretty glaring weakness.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I can’t imagine a transfer guard would be able to come in and make a bigger splash than Dajuan and Bryce are poised to...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

With seniors not having to count their seasons, if we aren't in NCAA trouble, you could get a upperclassman wanting to be on a bigger scene.

Guy like Paul Scruggs from Xavier.
Jalen Crutcher from Dayton.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:18 am I can’t imagine a transfer guard would be able to come in and make a bigger splash than Dajuan and Bryce are poised to...
Bryce should make big improvements.

Harris would be a major surprise. I just don’t foresee massive jumps with him at any time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

We’re balancing Dajuan’s potential contributions to the massive unknown of bringing in a senior transfer and expecting them to learn the system and be noticeably better in one year, though.

It seems just as likely we bring in a guy like that and bury them on the bench behind the known commodities.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Yeah, I just can’t see a transfer PG coming in and being the answer.

I think we see a team again next year with no “true” PG most of the time.

Thompson
Wilson
Agbaji
Braun
McCormack

There’s next years starting 5.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Are you presuming Marcus gets shown the door, then?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am We’re balancing Dajuan’s potential contributions to the massive unknown of bringing in a senior transfer and expecting them to learn the system and be noticeably better in one year, though.

It seems just as likely we bring in a guy like that and bury them on the bench behind the known commodities.
I just don’t see that being a big unknown. If you can shoot and play at this level, you won’t forget how to do it after a transfer.

And I would definitely rather gamble on it than put our eggs in the wrong PG basket 2 years in a row.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

sdoyel wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:34 am Yeah, I just can’t see a transfer PG coming in and being the answer.

I think we see a team again next year with no “true” PG most of the time.

Thompson
Wilson
Agbaji
Braun
McCormack

There’s next years starting 5.
I also think this is very possible.

Or having a junior recruit reclassify.