ousdahl

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

backup to that “2nd round to undrafted” projection
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:22 pm backup to that “2nd round to undrafted” projection
That shit doesn't seem to bother kids much anymore.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lots of good stuff in here: https://theathletic.com/2581297/2021/05 ... er-portal/

Sam Martin said Remy never had intentions of returning to school — “none” — until May 6. While discussing the draft, he told Remy that if the process didn’t go how he expected, “we need to have a safe landing here.” With Arizona State’s roster nearly set, Remy replied: “I’ll put my name in the transfer portal just to be safe.”

“It’s a matter really of just trying to hedge his bets a little bit,” Sam said. “Just to make sure he has some options. He’s full-bore, straight-ahead on trying to get to the league. But if he doesn’t do as well as he feels he will, or he should, and if he needs to use that (extra year), then he will.”

Sam said Remy called Hurley on Friday and told him about the decision to enter the portal.

. . .

His NBA stock is uncertain. In his latest ranking of the draft’s top 100 prospects, The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie ranked Christopher (35th) and Bagley (38th) but left off Martin. This suggests the point guard will have to have strong workouts to have a chance. Sam Martin didn’t want to speak for his son, but he said if the NBA didn’t work out, he would prefer Remy return to college rather than play overseas.

On the transfer market, Remy will become a high-profile target, a guard who could turn a strong team into a national-title contender. As of noon Thursday, Sam Martin said he already had heard from 10 teams. (A Big East school called while he was on the phone for this interview.) “High-majors. Blue bloods,” he said. “I’m talking about top five in the country. And that’s just who has called me. I don’t know who has called him.”

Sam Martin said Hurley pointed out to him that he had 19 points (Remy’s average) to replace next season. He has done his best to do so, signing Toledo’s Marreon Jackson, Boston College’s Jay Heath and Illinois State’s D.J. Horne.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Wed May 12, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

But much of it is, if one has a legit chance at getting paid to play (wherever that may be), it doesn’t do much good to remain in a league that strictly prohibits getting paid to play.

The Rules could end up affecting the Remy and the Ochai types more so than the surefire OAD types
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

More transfer stuff. Mahan 32 MPG, 12.3 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 1.9 APG, 45% FG, 39-89 3's (43.8%), 90.6% FT.

Off-guard it seems, but that could help.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 93346?s=20
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How much can we expect from Yesufu? On or off the ball more?

Of all the currently committed guys coming in, he seems the most likely to contribute, with actual D1 experience and all.

But maybe I’m wrong, and Pettiford or Cuffe will be further along than expected.

Finally, is there a deadline to enter the transfer portal? Could we see this go on like all summer long?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Didn't Frankamp transfer in late August/early September?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Marty transferred like a week before the season started, and loost a semester of eligibility cuz of it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

July 1st, but going forward will be May 1st.

But Yesufu is better off the ball, but he'll be a combo guard, can handle the ball at any time.

Order of preference
Remy
TyTy

Wheeler

But think Pettiford and Cuffe are going to be great combo guards off the bench but still play a lot of minutes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’d be surprised if more than one (shall we say) lead guard come off the bench for critical mass minutes, and that’ll hopefully be Dajuan.

At least one of Pettiford or Cuffe seems destined for Rio Adams minutes, if not a shirt.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Should have said to start year. Harris is starting the year, until other guys get comfortable.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

After reading CJ Moore's article, Yesufu is expected to play mostly off the ball and Pettiford will compete with Harris for minutes. Bill thinks Cuffe is too young. He definitely wants to land a guy that can play on the rock.

Moore also compared Yesufu to Sherron, so we could all use a little brake tap.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TyTy decides tonight.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 am
Mjl wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 pm Maybe. But the last time I watched Arizona State they were on their way to a victory when he just pulled an EJ vs Michigan. His team was talented but he wanted to be the guy, team success be damned.
If they win, they're "ultra competitive". If they lose, they're "selfish".
Sports fans...
He was taking guarded, off balance 28-footers while the guys rolling off the picks were open.

I've never used the term ultra-competitive, and if I did it wouldn't be for this situation.

You used Sherron, and yes, that's a perfect example. That Oklahoma game broke him, he was never the same, kept trying to replicate it by chucking awful shots at clutch moments. I don't want post-Oklahoma Sherron.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I know it is the annual hate-on-Sherron season on this board, but I can't agree that Sherron was broken in clutch moments for his last full season and a half.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm I know it is the annual hate-on-Sherron season on this board, but I can't agree that Sherron was broken in clutch moments for his last full season and a half.
Strange revisionist history.

Same with the LeBron haters. Reality is different for them.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm I know it is the annual hate-on-Sherron season on this board, but I can't agree that Sherron was broken in clutch moments for his last full season and a half.
Strange revisionist history.

Same with the LeBron haters. Reality is different for them.
It's not revisionist history, it was my opinion at the time and it's still my opinion. It's not necessarily right, like anything that's an opinion, but the term revisionist history doesn't even make sense in the context of something unprovable.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinions. Except for if the opinion is that Dajuan Harris should be KU's starting PG for every game in 2022. We can't have that shit out there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think both of these things can be true:

Sherron wasn’t broken in clutch moments

and

Our offense relied on Sherron isos too heavily (no pun intended), when we can and should have had a more balanced attack, particularly considering all the other weapons we had, as well as the fact Sherron’s conditioning deteriorated as his career progressed.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:02 pm Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinions. Except for if the opinion is that Dajuan Harris should be KU's starting PG for every game in 2022. We can't have that shit out there.
So what would the lineup look like if we miss on TyTy and get Remy? We'd have no good distributors in the starting lineup.