21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

I think Jalen is most likely to turn a corner. He’s already a really good rebounder. And his shot will get more consistent. If he hits a couple more jumpers and finishes a couple more drives per game, he could be like a 16 and 10 kinda guy.

And if we do see more of him at the 5/teeny ball, hopefully it’s not as a crutch, but as a matchup advantage. Maybe we figure out how to exploit 5 out enough to make up for a lack of size - even if only for a few minutes a game (eg that mid-first half stretch when the reserves are in anyway)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Jalen also may be least afraid to be thee guy, perhaps? Dude hit some big shots last year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Least afraid to be the guy would be Remy.

Jalen's shot improving would help him and us. I'm just not sure that we haven't already seen close to Jalen's ceiling, though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I could see it being a kiss of death for certain teams.

Under 12 timeout against the kitties, we come out teeny and go on like a 28-3 run, delicious
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:10 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:05 am Remy is a higher profile transfer than Moss.

Again, I think the real question regarding starting lineups, is how many small ball-handling guards Self wants out there
Sounds like 1 judging by his comments.
This quote?

“There’s going to be more times this year where we play two of those four [point guards] together,” Self said
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:12 am Least afraid to be the guy would be Remy.

Jalen's shot improving would help him and us. I'm just not sure that we haven't already seen close to Jalen's ceiling, though.
Driving is a big part of his game, but last year he didn’t consistently finish.

That’s the sort of thing that tends to become more consistent after freshman year.

Jumpers too.

But yeah we may be close to his ceiling, considering he couldn’t even jump up and touch the ceiling in most Lawrence apartments.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:14 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:10 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:05 am Remy is a higher profile transfer than Moss.

Again, I think the real question regarding starting lineups, is how many small ball-handling guards Self wants out there
Sounds like 1 judging by his comments.
This quote?

“There’s going to be more times this year where we play two of those four [point guards] together,” Self said
We were also going hard after guys like Sahvir Wheeler and De'Vion Harmon--clear what direction we're headed in.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:16 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:12 am Least afraid to be the guy would be Remy.

That’s the sort of thing that tends to become more consistent after freshman year.

Jumpers too.

But yeah we may be close to his ceiling, considering he couldn’t even jump up and touch the ceiling in most Lawrence apartments.
I think he needed to get into better shape, and Self says he has, so maybe we see a great bump.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Not familiar with those recruits but guessing they’re small ball-dominant guards?

But yeah, we’ve got 5 small guards on the roster this year. That’s 2-3 more than normal, and like 4 more than last year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:19 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:16 am

Jumpers too.

I think he needed to get into better shape, and Self says he has, so maybe we see a great bump.
Yea, now that I think about it he may have had some baby fat last year that he could loose

Think he got more ink too!
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

If Jalen takes a big jump with shooting -- which I think is possible because his shot is not broken -- then I don't think we've seen his ceiling. In the college game, the fear of him shooting 40% from 3 opens up a ton for him and the offense. He would immediately become one of the best players in the Big 12.

A 7% increase isn't a given and I'm not predicting it, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility. That type of shooting coupled with his feel for the game immediately raises his ceiling rather high, I think.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

Jalen is also among the best 4s we’ve had as far as grabbing a bored and starting the fast break himself. Dude’s got good handles for his size and position.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:12 am Jalen's shot improving would help him and us. I'm just not sure that we haven't already seen close to Jalen's ceiling, though.
Guy is a sophomore ( doesn't matter that he redshirted ) with one year of college under his belt.
Already pretty much seen his ceiling.

:/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, by that metric, a lot of these guys may be “low ceiling”

Maybe Och learns to drive? Or Mac learns to dunk? Or Braun shows something more than Face Ass 2.0? Or Dajuan stops looking like the little brother that mom says we have to let him play with us too?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:20 am Not familiar with those recruits but guessing they’re small ball-dominant guards?

But yeah, we’ve got 5 small guards on the roster this year. That’s 2-3 more than normal, and like 4 more than last year.
I think of Cuffe as more of a very undersized 3. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a shirt now that he has this injury. Gives Bill the ability to say "Well, uh, uh, Kyle, I know you reclassified to get here early, but with this injury, you're going to be behind everyone else, so, uh, uh, might be a better idea to exchange this year for a fifth year."
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:04 am Oh I think Mitch is ass too. I think there's a good chance we see Jalen at 5 for more minutes per game than Cam or Mitch. But I could see situationally where Mitch and Cam have to play -- slow start, Dave foul trouble, etc.

Self has shown more willingness of late to do those funky lineups where you would see Jalen at the 5. In that scenario, it alleviates the log jam we have elsewhere in the lineup, particularly 1-3. Remy, Yes, Braun, OA, and Jalen would be tough for anyone to exploit unless they have an elite big.
I think we will see almost no Jalen at the 5 this year unless we are in desperation need a 3 mode.

We will see Cam at the 5 whenever Dave is out. Not sure who else can really play the 5 tbh.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

can he dunk yet?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am
hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:04 am Oh I think Mitch is ass too. I think there's a good chance we see Jalen at 5 for more minutes per game than Cam or Mitch. But I could see situationally where Mitch and Cam have to play -- slow start, Dave foul trouble, etc.

Self has shown more willingness of late to do those funky lineups where you would see Jalen at the 5. In that scenario, it alleviates the log jam we have elsewhere in the lineup, particularly 1-3. Remy, Yes, Braun, OA, and Jalen would be tough for anyone to exploit unless they have an elite big.
I think we will see almost no Jalen at the 5 this year unless we are in desperation need a 3 mode.

We will see Cam at the 5 whenever Dave is out. Not sure who else can really play the 5 tbh.
I'm happy to bet on that. I'm certain I could be wrong, but you're counting on a D2 player who actually isn't all that big by center standards to come in and be the main sub for Dave? Just name the dollar amount.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:38 am

I'm happy to bet on that. I'm certain I could be wrong, but you're counting on a D2 player who actually isn't all that big by center standards to come in and be the main sub for Dave? Just name the dollar amount.
I'm not at all defending this, but I'd put a pretty substantial bet on Mitch being the first guy off the bench when McCormack comes off.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:38 am

I think Cam is more viable as a 5 than Jalen....and hopefully more viable than Mitch.