21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 89

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by Deleted User 89 »

hasbeen wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm what do i care who earns the minutes. i'm about the name on the front of the jersey. what's best for the name on the front of the jersey, is best for me.
jesus christ are you 80 years old?
he's gotta pretty close to that, actually
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:54 pm
hasbeen wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm what do i care who earns the minutes. i'm about the name on the front of the jersey. what's best for the name on the front of the jersey, is best for me.
jesus christ are you 80 years old?
he's gotta pretty close to that, actually
Must be. I get not caring about conversations like this because ultimately they're pointless (Self will play who he wants and is more qualified to make the call than anyone here), but the Leroy Jenkins-ing/Koolaid man-ing burst in to talk about the name on the front of the jersey gives me big WWII vibes.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I dont know why people are questioning if yesefu is good enough. hes good enough. hes not necessarily tall. but he is very strong and athletic for a college guard. Yesefu was flat out dominant in 2 NCAA tourney games last season, which isn't something you could say about any of our returning guys. He was dominant against USC, and they beat us by 34. THIRTY FOUR. He reminds me a ton of Kyle Lowry (in college) same body and play style. I mean that as high praise (not saying Yesefu will play in the league for 10+ years but who knows)

Remy is good too. Dajuan was solid for us as a freshman, and has supposedly improved a lot. I think all 3 play meaningful (10+) minutes
Last edited by randylahey on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKAi0yGGUF0

Yesefu doesnt look too little to me
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:48 pm I dont know why people are questioning if yesefu is good enough. hes good enough. hes not necessarily tall. but he is very strong and athletic for a college guard. Yesefu was flat out dominant in 2 NCAA tourney games last season, which isn't something you could say about any of our returning guys. He reminds me a ton of Kyle Lowry (in college) same body and play style. I mean that as high praise (not saying Yesefu will play in the league for 10+ years but who knows)
Any idea why he didn't start for the majority of the season for them?
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:57 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:48 pm I dont know why people are questioning if yesefu is good enough. hes good enough. hes not necessarily tall. but he is very strong and athletic for a college guard. Yesefu was flat out dominant in 2 NCAA tourney games last season, which isn't something you could say about any of our returning guys. He reminds me a ton of Kyle Lowry (in college) same body and play style. I mean that as high praise (not saying Yesefu will play in the league for 10+ years but who knows)
Any idea why didn't start for the majority of the season for them?
He was a 6th man behind older players. He was a talented sophomore who took advantage of an opportunity once he got it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Wasn't playing with confidence, deferred to Penn and Hemphill. As soon as he gained that confidence, especially when Penn and Hemphill went down and they needed someone to score, he did great and got that confidence.

If he keeps that confidence he'll get some minutes. I think it's entirely possible that he'll regress. Hoping he doesn't.
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:38 pm
Wasn't playing with confidence, deferred to Penn and Hemphill. As soon as he gained that confidence, especially when Penn and Hemphill went down and they needed someone to score, he did great and got that confidence.

If he keeps that confidence he'll get some minutes. I think it's entirely possible that he'll regress. Hoping he doesn't.
Drake to Kansas is a BIG jump. That's what worries me....but he's young. We don't need him to be an AA this year. Just a solid role player.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It is a big jump, which is why I think there's a chance he'll lose that swagger.

But he was a helluva lot better against USC than any Kansas players, and that was with the defense focused primarily on him.

If I had to guess, he's not going to get a ton of minutes this year, and if that happens, every time Remy goes into bad decision mode, I am going to lose my shit in the game threads.

His playing time might end up linked to how well JCL shoots. If he doesn't shoot well, might as well play Yesufu instead.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am just glad that we seem to have enough good players that there is some legitimate question as to who is going to be in the rotation. Hopefully there are enough 3 point shooters in the guys that make the cut and we don't find ourselves facing a clogged lane all season due to having no shooters that need to be worried about. This first month or so of games will be really interesting to get a glimpse at all these new parts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Looking ahead, the next couple years of Dajuan/Joe/at least one of Kyle or Bobby will be a nice trio of guards in the backcourt rotation
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:44 am I am just glad that we seem to have enough good players that there is some legitimate question as to who is going to be in the rotation. Hopefully there are enough 3 point shooters in the guys that make the cut and we don't find ourselves facing a clogged lane all season due to having no shooters that need to be worried about. This first month or so of games will be really interesting to get a glimpse at all these new parts.
Agreed. These seasons are fun. We've got a handful of good (but not great) players fighting for minutes.

The seaons where we have "great" players and the rotation is obvious are fun too. Just a different kind of fun.

I am not expecting a national title out of this group this year, but i expect a lot of wins and some exciting games.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 am I am not expecting a national title out of this group this year
roiboi-11
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i expect a national title most every year, because most every year KU has as much (if not more) of a chance than anyone
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I wouldn't go as far to say there should be an expectation of a natty every year because it implies that anything less is a disappointment--not meeting expectations is a disappointment.

But, I do think it is fair that under Bill, there is an expectation that the realistic goal every year should be a Final Four at minimum.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ff's are hard. nc's are hard. i gave up a while back expecting either of those come tourney time. now it's just a big bonus when it does happen.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Trying to think of "fair" expectations that apply to every single season.

Finish top half of a 10-team league and make the tournament every year? I think if the team does less than that it puts a ton of pressure on Bill for the next season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Every single Kansas season?
Bill has cornered himself into higher 'fair' expectations than that.
If you win 14 straight, well, expectations are win the league and get to the 2nd weekend.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm i expect a national title most every year, because most every year KU has as much (if not more) of a chance than anyone
I hope for a national title every year because most every year KU has enough to be considered a serious contender but I never expect it. The game is too volatile and there are too many teams that have really good players that can crush your expectations in one hot shooting tourney game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I expect to be a 4 seed or better every year. You're in the conversation for a natty if you're a 4 seed or better, so I expect to be in that conversation every year.

My expectations are not higher than normal with this squad. I had higher expectations in '16 and '20 than I do for this team. My expectations going in to '15 were less.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.