21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:28 am It goes both ways. If Illy says no way Yesufu is ahead of CB and the response is "did you see him play?" then the same question can be said about anyone thinking Yesufu could be ahead of CB. Doubt too many are finding reddit streams of Drake games. Only thing we know is that he played pretty well towards the end of the season at a much smaller program and league.
And ftr I am not bashing Yesufu...but i don't think he's battling a returning starter who plays a different position for minutes at this point. If he can't beat out Remy or Harris for small guard minutes (whether we play 1 or 2 at the same time primarily or not) then taking minutes from CB doesn't even strike me as realistic.

Sure, JCL could take minutes from Braun. I just don't think he will.

I think JCL and Yesufu are more likely to be battling for that 7th or 8th spot in the rotation than they are to be battling to knock a returning starter out of the lineup (or take minutes from him in the rotation).

I think the safest bet is that DMac CB Jalen Och and Remy play ALL the minutes they can handle.

And why anyone would think disrupting the on court chemistry they have built playing together over multiple seasons somehow makes us better sight unseen is strange to me but it happens every year. Last year it was that guy who had 3 names who was suppsoed to be an NBA player (TGF i think was his name). Where is he now?
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am This whole thing of Self saying this past week that we could play 10 guys is kind of interesting. Don't recall him saying exactly those words. Hoping it is because the team is so loaded like 2008/2010 and not because all of the bench guys suck equally like 2021.
I missed that quote, but yes that would be interesting.

And in reality, many nights we will blow teams out and 10 guys will play...so fwiw anything i am predicting or expecting is in regard to close games/important games where historically Self tightens the rotation way up.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:26 am
Braun is better than JCL. And also ahead of him in the rotation.

All of your takes are being made with your heart and not with your head (brain).
How would I make a take with my head?

By, perhaps, pointing out empirical evidence such as…oh I dunno…how JCL averaged almost 5 ppg better last year, including how he outscored Braun in both head-to-head matchups?

But I don’t mind takes made with my heart, cuz again, don’t get me wrong. I heart them both!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:37 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am This whole thing of Self saying this past week that we could play 10 guys is kind of interesting. Don't recall him saying exactly those words. Hoping it is because the team is so loaded like 2008/2010 and not because all of the bench guys suck equally like 2021.

And in reality, many nights we will blow teams out and 10 guys will play...so fwiw anything i am predicting or expecting is in regard to close games/important games where historically Self tightens the rotation way up.
We talk about 10-deep rotations at this point every season
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:44 am

We might, but Self pushing it this week seems unprecedented. Wonder what the cause is. We also have an old team, so maybe it's a workload thing.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:41 am

All of your takes are being made with your heart and not with your head (brain).

By, perhaps, pointing out empirical evidence such as…oh I dunno…how JCL averaged almost 5 ppg better last year, including how he outscored Braun in both head-to-head matchups?

But I don’t mind takes made with my heart, cuz again, don’t get me wrong. I heart them both!
1 played at KU.

1 played at Iowa State. A team who won 1 more game than Kansas State.

That matters.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:44 am

True. Self usually has some off season comments about it too.

Truth is, if our guys are in shape, you don't need a 10man rotation in close/important games. Pick your best 7 or 8 and roll.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:48 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:41 am

1 played at KU.

1 played at Iowa State. A team who won 1 more game than Kansas State.

That matters.
That’s the other side of the coin. JCL played on a shitty team.

It’s also a question of whether Self would recruit a super duper senior for a year to actually play, or to just be a practice guy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What makes sense is to recruit Remy and JCL to play in 2022 and Yesufu to play in 2023 and 24.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And another thought re: “1 played at KU, yeah, one did play at KU,” and even started…for one of the worst seasons the team has had in decades.

It’s some sorta cognitive dissonance thing - that we as fans were all about overhauling last year’s roster, while also being hesitant to reduce the roles of the familiar faces.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 amIt’s some sorta cognitive dissonance thing - that we as fans were all about overhauling last year’s roster, while also being hesitant to reduce the roles of the familiar faces.
Get rid of Jalen, then. No one fell apart worse than he did last season. Bryce may be the one exception.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 am What makes sense is to recruit Remy and JCL to play in 2022 and Yesufu to play in 2023 and 24.
There’s that too.

But again comes down to the multiple small guards lineup. And whether Dajuan or Yes is further along. I’ll guess Dajuan may be the more established pg, while Yes might be more a shot of instant offense
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:05 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 amIt’s some sorta cognitive dissonance thing - that we as fans were all about overhauling last year’s roster, while also being hesitant to reduce the roles of the familiar faces.
Get rid of Jalen, then. No one fell apart worse than he did last season. Bryce may be the one exception.
Dang. Maybe so.

Dude had a stretch of conference play he was a double double machine, but yeah the last few games of the season his production declined
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hindsight is always 20/20, and again we could prob say this in October before every season, but even if we aren’t playing 10 deep, I think we’ll have sufficient options to be able to substitute for anyone who isn’t producing.

We’ll be able to swap in upperclassmen and senior transfers, rather than freshmen and juco guys.

My biggest concern is frontcourt depth, but even then, I think we’ll be ok.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 am What makes sense is to recruit Remy and JCL to play in 2022 and Yesufu to play in 2023 and 24.
And when Yesufu committed we didn't even know if we'd get/have Remy in 2021.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, that’s true too.

and Yes was considered one of the gems of the transfer portal before Remy even came along
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 am And another thought re: “1 played at KU, yeah, one did play at KU,” and even started…for one of the worst seasons the team has had in decades.

It’s some sorta cognitive dissonance thing - that we as fans were all about overhauling last year’s roster, while also being hesitant to reduce the roles of the familiar faces.
1 of Kansas worst teams in decades is still 1 of Iowa States best teams in decades. So there's that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well if you’re wondering how an ISU player from last season might do at KU this season, boy have I got news for you!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:34 am
And when Yesufu committed we didn't even know if we'd get/have Remy in 2021.
Correct. I think the staff has known a long time they wanted someone to come in and play in 2022 and the Yesufu commitment did not change their desire to bring in Remy, Marcus Carr, or even Sahvir Wheeler. The fact that we got Remy, though, could have changed their plans for Yesufu, though, considering the desire to bring in JCL.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:36 am Well if you’re wondering how an ISU player from last season might do at KU this season, boy have I got news for you!
He may be good. He may not play. He may not be at KU only for basketball. Education. Business opportunities is KC. He isn't really a pro prospect at this point.

Braun is a pro prospect. I think he will change some opinions this year of some of our fans who aren't crazy about him.