Redshirts

Clemence
Cuffe

Won’t play

Wilhite
Teahan
Jankovich
McCarthy

I don’t see how Self whittles this down to an 8-man rotation by conference play. The first unit is gonna play. You’re going to see Yesufu play a lot for his defense, Wilson is gonna play a ton, Coleman-Lands is our 2nd best 3pt threat.

Maybe that’s your 8? I think Pettiford has a small window to PT. Mitch is gonna play when Dave is in foul trouble.

I don’t see how Cam Martin or KJ Adams see the floor. Might take an injury…

Clemence and Cuffe have to be the RS favorites.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
hasbeen

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by hasbeen »

"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

It was a ways back but there was a lively discussion around the 5 spot behind Dave and rebounding effectiveness.

It's Thursday night and I have a lot going on so I took a look at KenPom and Sports-Reference:

- In the last 5 games (all KenPom has), Jalen played a greater percentage of the available minutes at
5 than Mitch did.
- Per Sports-Reference, Dave had an ORB%* of 19.5 and a DRB%** of 26.5%. Jalen, on the other hand,
had an ORB% of 8.6 and DRB% of 22.7%. Jalen is easily a good enough rebounder to get a lot of run
as the biggest player on the court if/when Dave has to sit.

*An estimate of the percentage of available offensive rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor
**An estimate of the percentage of available defensive rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor

I'm so tired of always being right.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

In case anyone is wondering, Mitch's numbers were 11.1 ORB% and 14.8 DRB%.

- lobser
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:52 pm Folks, I'm going to like this guy.

https://twitter.com/mctait/status/14560 ... 81249?s=20
Nice to see some honest self reflection by a player. Yeah, I like his attitude out there. If he gets it dialed in and starts increasing his percentage of good decisions, he will be great. Too many bad shots. those go in against a D2 team. They miss against a P5 team. They get blocked or stolen against a FF contender.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:51 pm It was a ways back but there was a lively discussion around the 5 spot behind Dave and rebounding effectiveness.

It's Thursday night and I have a lot going on so I took a look at KenPom and Sports-Reference:

- In the last 5 games (all KenPom has), Jalen played a greater percentage of the available minutes at
5 than Mitch did.
- Per Sports-Reference, Dave had an ORB%* of 19.5 and a DRB%** of 26.5%. Jalen, on the other hand,
had an ORB% of 8.6 and DRB% of 22.7%. Jalen is easily a good enough rebounder to get a lot of run

*An estimate of the percentage of available offensive rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor
**An estimate of the percentage of available defensive rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor

I’ve been bullish before too on Jalen at the 5. It has the potential to actually create mismatch issues, maybe even ones we can exploit.

All of a sudden, the other team’s center has to deal with a dood who can drive, can shoot, and can grab a bored and run the fast break. And yeah Jalen’s our best rebounder so might be better off with him on the glass than Mitch.

The trade-off, which I think you mentioned, is if we face Timme or some other elite big with legit size. Fortunately there’s not a ton of them around, and fortunately we still have Dave either way.

And while Dave has his own limitations, I think he’s still best equipped to guard elite bigs. Even if he’s not elite bu KU or national standards, he’s still prob a top 10 (or so?) D1 big, and among the toughest matchups the Timme types would see all year.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:21 am
hasbeen wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:51 pm It was a ways back but there was a lively discussion around the 5 spot behind Dave and rebounding effectiveness.

5 than Mitch did.

I’ve been bullish before too on Jalen at the 5. It has the potential to actually create mismatch issues, maybe even ones we can exploit.

All of a sudden, the other team’s center has to deal with a dood who can drive, can shoot, and can grab a bored and run the fast break. And yeah Jalen’s our best rebounder so might be better off with him on the glass than Mitch.

The trade-off, which I think you mentioned, is if we face Timme or some other elite big with legit size. Fortunately there’s not a ton of them around, and fortunately we still have Dave either way.

And while Dave has his own limitations, I think he’s still best equipped to guard elite bigs. Even if he’s not elite bu KU or national standards, he’s still prob a top 10 (or so?) D1 big, and among the toughest matchups the Timme types would see all year.
Agreed with all of this.

- lobser
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Lot of interesting comments in this video. Self gives a pretty good indication of the rotation -- Harris, Remy, Braun, Ochai, Jalen, and Dave will get most of the minutes. He gives some shoutouts to the freshman but specifically talks about Yes a few times, so safe to assume he'll fill in behind Harris and Remy. Jesse Newell also some good insight on the NCAA investigation timeline at the very end:

https://twitter.com/TheFieldOf68/status ... 72875?s=20

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Against the kitties or other type team. Or, even if it was like a mid-1st half lineup against the other team’s reserves.

Jalen
Braun
JCL
Joe
Dajuan

Not many teams can rest starters while getting even faster.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:26 am Lot of interesting comments in this video. Self gives a pretty good indication of the rotation -- Harris, Remy, Braun, Ochai, Jalen, and Dave will get most of the minutes. He gives some shoutouts to the freshman but specifically talks about Yes a few times, so safe to assume he'll fill in behind Harris and Remy. Jesse Newell also some good insight on the NCAA investigation timeline at the very end:

https://twitter.com/TheFieldOf68/status ... 72875?s=20
That's what I've been saying. Three man rotation between the little guards, three man rotation between the big guards, two man rotation between the bigs (with DMac getting the vast majority of those minutes).

I'm not sure if it's coachspeak or not, but it doesn't sound like Jalen necessarily has a guaranteed starting spot when he returns. He loves Harris... Or he's using Harris to try to motivate the other guys.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Or Harris is simply the only true point guard who will actually run the offense instead of chuck Russell Westbrook guarded jumpers early in the clock.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But if Jalen doesn’t get his starting spot within a few games of returning, that’s cuz somebody else is balling out, and that’s not a bad problem to have.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Self saying Cam Martin is only planned redshirt. Kyle Cuffe Jr is possible redshirt as well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So much for Ous's dream of D2 Tats getting Lightfoot's minutes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang.

I was hoping this bump was about who starts
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:52 pm Self saying Cam Martin is only planned redshirt. Kyle Cuffe Jr is possible redshirt as well.
Don't think anyone saw Cam redshirting. Clemence will need to be good.

Cuffe situation I assume means Bill wants him to shirt and he doesn't want to. We have no need for Cuffe this year.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Cuffe should be a senior in HS this year, right?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Yep.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I really like pettiford. I think hes gonna be a stud in time
Just Ledoux it
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Yesufu only played 6 minutes; Pettiford has already passed him by.