21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:03 am But yeah our D is gonna give up easy looks at the rim and such again
We're at 6.3 BPG right now, which is great, that's a lot of blocks.

4.0 last year which was Top 75 in the country.

But, likely to go down because we've had 2 games against small teams. CB is at 1.7, which is a whole block more per game than where he's likely to end up.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:02 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am Playing fast starts on defense.
The fastest way to play is to not play any defense.
Haha well, not on a Bill Self coached team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:59 am Yea.

Which is why you want your 5 to be more mobile, and be able to start the break himself, rather than an old school big who collects and has to get it to a guard

among other factors
Sure. But you've still got to get stops and get defensive rebounds.

My philosophy if i were Self would be that whenever Dave goes out CB/Och/Jalen are all 3 on the court with 1 small guard and then Mitch (maybe Clemence soon) because Och CB and Jalen all have size/strength and are good rebounding guards/wings....then whenever Dave is on the court there is more ability to be versatile and have 2 of the small guards in at the same time as well as the normal lineup with remy or harris and CB/Och/Jalen alongside him.
If we only have 1 small guard then we can’t play 2 small guards.

So rather than speeding it up and letting ballhandlers work in space, we’re slowing it down and running half court post offense through Mitch
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Remy
Och
CB
Jalen
Mitch?

We can do better than that for a second lineup.

Second lineup should be a dramatic change of pace, IMO.

Harris
Remy
Och
CB
Jalen
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Change of pace and also rest more than one starter. We just might have the depth

Dajuan
Joe
JCL
Either Braun or Och
Jalen

But the 1-2 can really be any 2 of Remy/Dajuan/Joe/Bobby
Last edited by ousdahl on Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Harris
Pettiford
Och
CB
Jalen

No one is catching that team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

But JCL appears good enough to play him regularly in the second unit while getting a spell for either Och or Braun
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bill Self via Matt Tait:

“I anticipate Jalen being a 30-minutes-a-game guy, regardless of what the role is,” Self said.

Might Wilson, who averaged 28.3 minutes and started 26 of the 29 games he played in a season ago, return to his starting role?

“He could,” Self said. “(But) he kind of put himself in this position, so it’s not a guarantee. If the team’s rolling, maybe Jalen’s better coming off the bench.”

. . .

“He’s probably our best defensive rebounder, as evidenced by last year,” Self began. “He’s our best in transition, as evidenced by watching him play every day for the last 2-3 months. He's a shot maker. He has an air about him that's very confident. And he’s a terrific leader.”

Self said Wilson’s return for the upcoming North Texas game — 1 p.m. Thursday in Orlando — would add a lot to the team in one specific area.

“You guys will be surprised how much faster we play with Jalen in the game because his ability to push it is by far the best we have in transition, from a speed standpoint,” Self said Wednesday. “It kind of puts pressure on everybody else to play faster.”

Self said Wilson had that ability in him last year, as well, but not quite to the extent he does this year. Beyond that, the coaches weren’t quite as aware of it a year ago either.

“He worked at it really hard during the offseason,” Self said. “He’s really good at bringing it. Right up there with some of the best that we’ve ever had.”

Self doubled down on that take following Thursday’s win over Stony Brook, when talking about Wilson’s return.

“Jalen is the best we have in transition, hands down, pushing the ball and everything,” Self said. “Better than Juan (Dajuan Harris), Remy (Martin), Joe (Yesufu), Bobby (Pettiford), whoever.”

When examining the lineup options that brining Wilson back into the mix would provide him, Self began laughing to himself when thinking about one option.

“The other thing that we haven’t done yet is I think that we can play Jalen at the 5 and get really quick,” he said.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:23 am Bill Self via Matt Tait:

“I anticipate Jalen being a 30-minutes-a-game guy, regardless of what the role is,” Self said.

Might Wilson, who averaged 28.3 minutes and started 26 of the 29 games he played in a season ago, return to his starting role?

“He could,” Self said. “(But) he kind of put himself in this position, so it’s not a guarantee. If the team’s rolling, maybe Jalen’s better coming off the bench.”

. . .

“He’s probably our best defensive rebounder, as evidenced by last year,” Self began. “He’s our best in transition, as evidenced by watching him play every day for the last 2-3 months. He's a shot maker. He has an air about him that's very confident. And he’s a terrific leader.”

Self said Wilson’s return for the upcoming North Texas game — 1 p.m. Thursday in Orlando — would add a lot to the team in one specific area.

“You guys will be surprised how much faster we play with Jalen in the game because his ability to push it is by far the best we have in transition, from a speed standpoint,” Self said Wednesday. “It kind of puts pressure on everybody else to play faster.”

Self said Wilson had that ability in him last year, as well, but not quite to the extent he does this year. Beyond that, the coaches weren’t quite as aware of it a year ago either.

“He worked at it really hard during the offseason,” Self said. “He’s really good at bringing it. Right up there with some of the best that we’ve ever had.”

Self doubled down on that take following Thursday’s win over Stony Brook, when talking about Wilson’s return.

“Jalen is the best we have in transition, hands down, pushing the ball and everything,” Self said. “Better than Juan (Dajuan Harris), Remy (Martin), Joe (Yesufu), Bobby (Pettiford), whoever.”

When examining the lineup options that brining Wilson back into the mix would provide him, Self began laughing to himself when thinking about one option.

“The other thing that we haven’t done yet is I think that we can play Jalen at the 5 and get really quick,” he said.
In to this
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:23 am Bill Self via Matt Tait:

. . .

BONER ALERT
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:46 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:26 am
Mjl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:05 am

Way too slow. Clemence can't play the 4 on D.
Not against a 4 out team, but the teams who beat us last year played 2 bigs and Jalen got worked over.
But those teams had big 4s that were also fast. Greg Brown and Isaiah Mobley, right? I don't recall Jalen struggling with them that much on the glass or defensively. I can't imagine Clemence trying to guard guys like that this year.
I guess if you don't think being able to match size with size is a good thing that's on you. I think a strength of this team is that it can beat you multiple ways. Wilson, and last years team in general struggled a ton against teams with big 4s. Last year, we could try to outrun them, and if that didn't work we got housed. This year we have options. If not Clemence, then it could be KJ, but it's nice to have more options than just Dave and Mitch as bigs and only having undersized 4s. KJ and Clemence played together last night for a stretch.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m hoping this year we have the experience and confidence to execute 5-out teeny ball, and be the one dictating the matchup

So the narrative then becomes less “how are we gonna match up against other team’s size” and more “how are other teams gonna keep up with us”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Last year we could try to outrun them, though we really didn’t even have a team built to run

This year we do
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

KJ at the 4 with Clemence actually works, you still have 4 perimeter guys on offense then, and 4 guys that can switch freely on defense.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 am I’m hoping this year we have the experience and confidence to execute 5-out teeny ball, and be the one dictating the matchup

So the narrative then becomes less “how are we gonna match up against other team’s size” and more “how are other teams gonna keep up with us”
Well, I've been wanting that to happen throughout Self's tenure here. One of the few things roi did better than self was dictate the style of play.

We got beat by Villanova because they housed us playing 4-out (a couple times plus Auburn, etc.). So we adjusted. But now when we play teams with two bigs, we get our asses kicked. So why didn't we give those teams the Villanova treatment?

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

cuz we couldn’t shoot for shit from outside
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:47 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 am I’m hoping this year we have the experience and confidence to execute 5-out teeny ball, and be the one dictating the matchup

Well, I've been wanting that to happen throughout Self's tenure here.

We got beat by Villanova because they housed us playing 4-out (a couple times plus Auburn, etc.). So we adjusted. But now when we play teams with two bigs, we get our asses kicked. So why didn't we give those teams the Villanova treatment?
Last year was because we played 4 guards, but none of them could get to the paint.

But, yeah, Self struggle(s)(d) with that. Mizzou forced Withey to the bench in 12 and Nova forced Udoka to the bench in 18. Those 2 should have eaten.

I also know that we want to be equipped to beat any kind of team come tournament time considering our goals, but it's just getting to the point where we will rarely, if ever, have to worry about guarding two tall, strong post players at the same time.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:45 am Last year we could try to outrun them, though we really didn’t even have a team built to run

This year we do
And maybe that's the strategy, getting beat by two bigs, Go even smaller and even faster.

Doesn't matter to me how we do it.

Like I said, I like the versatility.

We're only gonna go 8 deep. But you might change the guys you bring off the bench from game to game depending on how you want to play.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess we didn’t cuz we weren’t built to give the Villanova treatment

This roster seems better equipped.

At the very least, we might actually have a bench this year!

it seems our reserves are already further along than guys like Tristan and Latrell and Gethro and TGIF
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I have no idea what yall are talking about but Self has dictated style a bunch since he got here. I think you're just remembering the times he didn't much more than the times he did.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser