21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 am
pdub wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 am If it's just offense, i'd have rather seen Jalen Coleman Lands at the moment.
He's shooting 25% from 3 but I can remember several of those that spiraled in and around the bucket and just spun out unfortunately.

I have faith Jalen will round into form and be more a factor eventually.
I also think he complements the other starters better. Lot's of redundancies between och Braun and wilson.
JCL is even worse than Wilson defensively it appears.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:17 am You guys aren't really giving up on Jalen after a few bad games are you?

He's quite clearly one of our 4 best players.
No. He'll get it figured out and will eventually play much better than he has. Same with DMac.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:22 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 am
pdub wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 am If it's just offense, i'd have rather seen Jalen Coleman Lands at the moment.
He's shooting 25% from 3 but I can remember several of those that spiraled in and around the bucket and just spun out unfortunately.

I have faith Jalen will round into form and be more a factor eventually.
I also think he complements the other starters better. Lot's of redundancies between och Braun and wilson.
JCL is even worse than Wilson defensively it appears.
I mean, compared to Wilson last year, but he's been playing some matador defense in his three games this season. (course you could say that about most of our players in that tournament)
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We lost so many assignments in the Dayton game.
Bill Self wanted to launch himself to the moon.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:59 pm We lost so many assignments in the Dayton game.
Bill Self wanted to launch himself to the moon.
They literally seemed to run the same few simple plays over and over because we couldn't adjust or stop their cuts/motions.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yesefu feels like the x factor on this team. Our ceiling depends on how well he can fit in, because he is definitely one of our most talented players. Dajuan is the base line, a very sound role player who does what Bill wants.

If yesefu can keep getting better defensively and keep learning the offense and when to get his buckets within the offense, there is no reason he can't be playing big minutes before too long. He's just so damn explosive and talented as a scorer
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 am In Jalen’s first game back, he seemed to integrate pretty well right back into the team.

He had one bad game and apparently on a lot of shit lists because of it.

And while he’s more of a wing or forward than a guard, he still brings a net gain in terms of ball handling abilities.

He might also end up being the best slasher on the team.

And while I guess Harris has been reliable about certain things, I’m also concerned we’re once again giving big minutes to a guy who’s not a scoring threat, and the other team can get away with barely guarding him. even if he’s “reliable” or whatever, he’s still just not very productive
Wait, which was the bad game, the last game or the one before?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:56 pm Yesefu feels like the x factor on this team. Our ceiling depends on how well he can fit in, because he is definitely one of our most talented players. Dajuan is the base line, a very sound role player who does what Bill wants.

If yesefu can keep getting better defensively and keep learning the offense and when to get his buckets within the offense, there is no reason he can't be playing big minutes before too long. He's just so damn explosive and talented as a scorer
I'm curious what a lineup with him and Remy out there would look like. I don't think Yesefu has played any minutes at the point this year, and likely wouldn't along Remy, but it would be nice to see him along side someone other than Harris or Pettiford.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:56 pm Yesefu feels like the x factor on this team. Our ceiling depends on how well he can fit in, because he is definitely one of our most talented players. Dajuan is the base line, a very sound role player who does what Bill wants.

I'm curious what a lineup with him and Remy out there would look like. I don't think Yesefu has played any minutes at the point this year, and likely wouldn't along Remy, but it would be nice to see him along side someone other than Harris or Pettiford.
I think that might be due to those two seemingly getting lost most often, on both ends, in terms of executing as Bill wants them to.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Harris is good at his role, which is defense, running the offense smoothly and hustling. Yesefu is getting better at his role, which is to be an aggressive scorer. It's good that this squad has so many roles covered. I just hope we find a "reliable post scorer" at some point.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder if we could be better off abandoning the reliable post scorer mindset.

Run the offense through the guards! Even if it means Dave is just setting screens, or - gasp - just going 5 out.

And while I guess Dajuan is a serviceable distributor and defender, I just dunno if he’s a statistically productive or eyetest complete enough player to warrant the kind of minutes he’s getting.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:21 pm I wonder if we could be better off abandoning the reliable post scorer mindset.

Run the offense through the guards! Even if it means Dave is just setting screens, or - gasp - just going 5 out.

And while I guess Dajuan is a serviceable distributor and defender, I just dunno if he’s a statistically productive or eyetest complete enough player to warrant the kind of minutes he’s getting.
I think you might be thinking of it wrong.

Self doesn't want to go to the post every trip down the floor for 40 minutes. He's using it to set up all those other things that you want to do. It's like establishing the run so that your play action is more effective.

If the defense knows your going to the post, it opens the pick and roll game and cutters, etc.

Now, I don't know if Self is right and you have to go inside-out, but he's going inside to free up all the things you want.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:21 pm I wonder if we could be better off abandoning the reliable post scorer mindset.

I think I have more faith in an offense throwing Dave the ball on the block more than I do an offense that involves Dave setting multiple screens. Spazzing out and taking a fade away against a guy 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter won't result in 3 offensive fouls each game. Hell, the shot might even go in once in a while too.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:36 pm

I think you might be thinking of it wrong.

Self doesn't want to go to the post every trip down the floor for 40 minutes. He's using it to set up all those other things that you want to do. It's like establishing the run so that your play action is more effective.

If the defense knows your going to the post, it opens the pick and roll game and cutters, etc.

Now, I don't know if Self is right and you have to go inside-out, but he's going inside to free up all the things you want.
You're 100% right that every thing you do during the course of the game isn't just to score that possession, but also set up future plays and schemes. Even with 5 guards, you still need paint touches. You just find different ways to get them.

You guys are both right. Still need to establish an inside game, I just think it has to be something other than letting Dave post his guy one on one.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Self doesn't want to go to the post every trip down the floor for 40 minutes. He's using it to set up all those other things that you want to do. It's like establishing the run so that your play action is more effective."

And he's not.
Dave had 6 shots v Iona.
Lightfoot had 8 but 2 were outside of the post.
Clemence went 0-1 from 3.
If we are counting Adams then Adams went 2-4 but I think maybe 1 of those mighta been out of the post - but let's say it wasn't.

So we had 12 ( or 16 ) 'post' shots in the Iona game.
Out of 71 shots.

Some people have lost their minds with DMac.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think in the end, I agree the usage could be spread more.

Ochai should be taking the most shots per 40 ( he is currently ).
Then one of Remy or Braun.
Then third ( imo ) DMac b/c I feel his FG% will adjust to his norm - so you're getting efficient 2 pointers - and you want to create space by providing an interior threat and get guys in foul trouble.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If only we had a big man who could play above the rim too…

But then I remembered why he got kicked off the team

And then I saw that caption, and…cringe!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW6qe8CruZp ... =copy_link
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

SDS didn't do anything outside of 3 or 4 games in the final four run that proved he was anything that would warrant replacing Dave. He couldn't even gwt off the bench the next year.....and when he did he looked like he should've stayed in the locker room.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Desousa prob wont make all conference in whatever conference he transferred to.

Dave was B12 2nd team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I posted that more than anything to cringe at that caption