21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:29 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:26 am Let's just call a spade a spade, a portion of our fan base are hyper critical of our players who are white kids from Kansas (CB is better than sleeves and reed, but they got hated on too). Perry Ellis isn't white, but he experienced some of that treatment (false narratives, selective stat analysis, etc) as well being a native Kansan.
The exact opposite is what’s actually true. Too many emotional fans who want to cheer for the underdog, the hometown kid, the little engine that could, etc. and lose their shot when they are fairly criticized
There is a meaningful slice of fans who look at Kansas kids and, squinting, tell themselves they were that close themselves.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

@illy - You clearly don’t get the point. What’s there to discuss?
Last edited by Cascadia on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:53 am
Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:29 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:26 am Let's just call a spade a spade, a portion of our fan base are hyper critical of our players who are white kids from Kansas (CB is better than sleeves and reed, but they got hated on too). Perry Ellis isn't white, but he experienced some of that treatment (false narratives, selective stat analysis, etc) as well being a native Kansan.
The exact opposite is what’s actually true. Too many emotional fans who want to cheer for the underdog, the hometown kid, the little engine that could, etc. and lose their shot when they are fairly criticized
There is a meaningful slice of fans who look at Kansas kids and, squinting, tell themselves they were that close themselves.
Exactly
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:53 am @illy - You clearly don’t get the point. What’s there to discuss?
Your point was Braun had a bad 3 game/7 day stretch last year.

My guess: it won't happen this year.

You'd have been better off not picking up the baton ousdahl dropped.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:57 am Ous does have a plate of crow to eat on Braun, but I think he was more just frustrated in off-season that he knew Braun would start and play over Yesefu.

mjl was probably the only guy convinced the team would be better with Yesefu than Braun, but with the bias, it makes it a little more excusable.
^^
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Braun might also be our best passer to the post.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Know what? I’ll gladly eat that crow.

Except it’s actually spelled crauw.

Now some of you guys need to stop obsessing over me, please and thanks.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:05 am
Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:53 am @illy - You clearly don’t get the point. What’s there to discuss?

That was not the point.

No one is surprised that you missed it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 am Know what? I’ll gladly eat that crow.

What did you do to illy, man? He’s approaching MICH level dumb.
Deleted User 863

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:30 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:05 am

That was not the point.

No one is surprised that you missed it
What was your point then? Because other than shit talking that's the only thing of substance you've presented...
Deleted User 863

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:31 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 am Know what? I’ll gladly eat that crow.

What did you do to illy, man? He’s approaching MICH level dumb.
Pay attention.

He downplayed CB and created false narratives (about how limited CB is and how not limited other unproven players are) for weeks.

It's not malicious. Nobody has problems calling out me when i make dumb conclusions about our team. Ous can take it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I think I compared/contrasted CB and Joe’s performances against USC last year but didn’t directly say one should take the other’s minutes. They play different positions.

The hope that Joe (or Bobby) turns a corner is more with regard to Juan being a black hole on offense. Don’t think we can afford to play 5 on 4 again, and do think that’ll bite us at some point.

Or heck, maybe Dajuan will turn a corner and at least become worth more than someone the defense can get away with not guarding.

And yeah, I’m glad this team looks good so far, but I’m also wondering how we look against actual good teams. Cuz I mean we looked vulnerable pretty quick against a 2-3 Dayton team.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:38 am And I think I compared/contrasted CB and Joe’s performances against USC last year but didn’t directly say one should take the other’s minutes. They play different positions.

The hope that Joe (or Bobby) turns a corner is more with regard to Juan being a black hole on offense. Don’t think we can afford to play 5 on 4 again, and do think that’ll bite us at some point.

Or heck, maybe Dajuan will turn a corner and at least become worth more than someone the defense can get away with not guarding.

And yeah, I’m glad this team looks good so far, but I’m also wondering how we look against actual good teams. Cuz I mean we looked vulnerable pretty quick against a 2-3 Dayton team.
Eventually JW is going to be taking some of those Harris minutes. That is far more likely than Joe or Bobby taking Harris minutes imo.
Deleted User 863

At the end of games our best lineup should eventually be Remy Och CB JW and Dave.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I agree.

I suppose that much was obvious. 4 returning starters, plus the best and most experienced transfer.

2 small guard lineups notwithstanding.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Self does Self things and goes all ride or die with Dajuan’s 2ppg while Joe and Bobby (and Kyle) sit wondering if it’s too soon to enter the transfer portal.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:51 am Yeah, I agree.

I suppose that much was obvious. 4 returning starters, plus the best and most experienced transfer.

2 small guard lineups notwithstanding.
Och and CB have both improved their ballhandling enough that the need for 2 of Remy Harris Bobby Joe is not necessary. Especially with JW out there.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:53 am I also wouldn’t be surprised if Self does Self things and goes all ride or die with Dajuan’s 2ppg while Joe and Bobby (and Kyle) sit wondering if it’s too soon to enter the transfer portal.
I wouldn't be surprised. And i also wouldn't be surprised if that is actually what is best for this team.

You're looking at this solely offensively from an individual standpoint. Other than shooting/scoring Harris is probably better for this team than either of those 2 at every other meaningful aspect of basketball.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, Dajuan’s good at passing and defense.

If there’s something that might make it OK for Dajuan to play, it’s that even tho he can’t shoot, if he gets the ball he can at least get into space and move it in a hurry.

But still, Dajuan out there makes it that much easier for opponents to guard (or double) everybody else.

And just generally, elite teams tend to not have things like 2ppg starters
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 am Yeah, Dajuan’s good at passing and defense.

If there’s something that might make it OK for Dajuan to play, it’s that even tho he can’t shoot, if he gets the ball he can at least get into space and move it in a hurry.

But still, Dajuan out there makes it that much easier for opponents to guard (or double) everybody else.

And just generally, elite teams tend to not have things like 2ppg starters
Like i have said, he won't be a starter for much longer. JW will be the starter. Harris is starting by default right now because JW was suspended and is now struggling. He will snap out of it.

Harris will probably play 20-25mpg and will not be a part of the closing unit in close games.