Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:49 am If we’re gonna credit the big 12 poy for cushioning Garrett’s numbers, then let’s also fault the hesitant shooters and spazoid big he had to work with with as pg.
last year's team was an example of the whole being LESS than the sum of its parts. Individual players were fine, but not together. As evidence, we're scoring about a dozen more points per game while giving up about the same number as last year even though a lot of the pieces are the same. Guys got better, but fit and complementation matter.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

And perhaps most of all, experience matters.

Ochai and Braun are playing like they aren’t afraid of their own shadow any more.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He definitely doesnt deserve all the blame but you tend to think of seasons with the players intended to lead, fair or not.

21 was a covid disaster led by an underwhelming Garrett. The expectations were unfair...he was a front runner for B12POY and instead made the 2nd team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This too has been said, but much of the blame is on Self.

weird roster composition last year.

Weird game plans and stuff too.

Guards just standing on the perimeter while Dave is flailing around trying to Dirk his way through a double team? Better keep forcing it to him!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It reminds me of the global pandemic. If you forgot your mask one day, but take other precautions you're probably ok. If you can't socially distance but did everything else, you'll likely be fine. If you haven't gotten your booster but will soon, you'll probably be ok. But if you fail to do all those things repeatedly you're very vulnerable.

We could deal with a PG who can't shoot, or a timid Och, or bad shot selection Braun, or freshman wall Wilson, or inconsistent spazz Dave. But not all of those things, not all together. It just left us way to vulnerable.

Any team is beatable, but having that many things that can go wrong at once means you can set records for how many points you get your ass kicked by. Which we did.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Id listen to an argument that Self actually did as best he could with the guys he had.

( and of course the guys he had was largely a product of his doing )
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:42 am It reminds me of the global pandemic. If you forgot your mask one day, but take other precautions you're probably ok. If you can't socially distance but did everything else, you'll likely be fine. If you haven't gotten your booster but will soon, you'll probably be ok. But if you fail to do all those things repeatedly you're very vulnerable.

We could deal with a PG who can't shoot, or a timid Och, or bad shot selection Braun, or freshman wall Wilson, or inconsistent spazz Dave. But not all of those things, not all together. It just left us way to vulnerable.

Any team is beatable, but having that many things that can go wrong at once means you can set records for how many points you get your ass kicked by. Which we did.
Reported this post.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:11 am Id listen to an argument that Self actually did as best he could with the guys he had.

( and of course the guys he had was largely a product of his doing )
I...uh...don't think you get to make this argument when you have a glaring need for perimeter punch and get...checks notes...4.6ppg on 35% shooting from a McD's AA guard.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Bryce is really tearing it up at OkieSt.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remember when Self played Bryce Marcus and Dajuan at the same time?

3 perimeter guys who didnt even need to be guarded on the perimeter!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:54 am Remember when Self played Bryce Marcus and Dajuan at the same time?

3 perimeter guys who didnt even need to be guarded on the perimeter!
Dave's current spazzing could be ptsd from those defenses collapsing on him.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Meh, it shouldn’t matter much for a player like Dave.

He should know how to score before he gets the ball, rather than wait to score until after the d has had a chance to double.

But yeah, dangit last year. Dave would already be doubled, and the guards would be standing stationary, just making half assed attempts to move the ball for nothing more than maybe another ill-advised feed to Dave.

I dunno how we managed to both have our big man doubled and also still not have any guards getting open looks, but somehow we managed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If they are in the top 25 in 3FG% then I'm super interested.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess he and Graham are only within 6 shots of one another.

But I dunno if anyone expected Oubre to become a top 3 shooter in the league.

And weren’t they the same class at KU?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They arent in the top 60.
Both are shooting around 37 percent.
Interested but not super.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

How is Frank Mason not on a roster rn?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Would this lineup make the playoffs?

https://twitter.com/nba_jayhawks/status ... 61891?s=21
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes. It looks as good as Philly's lineup and they're safely in the playoffs right now.