ousdahl

Re: Kansas v Iowa State Official Gamethread

Post by ousdahl »

“ even if they can't score. We can play behind that.”

…can we?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bill Self: CB isn't nearly shooting enough and Och has to play way more aggressive and take the ball to the rack.

Also Bill Self: Make sure you're always looking to throw the ball to the post for a bricked shot.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Lightfoot 61% FG.
DMac 49% FG.

Not as many bricked shots as we are making it out to be.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:15 am “ even if they can't score. We can play behind that.”

…can we?
Yes. It moves the defense.

Mitch is shooting 61%fg this season. Dave shooting 49%fg.

They don't suck nearly as bad as some of you think they do. Offensively or Defensively.

If you're mad about the quality of players we are landing on the recruiting trail, then so be it. But stop expecting Dave and Mitch to play like Tim Duncan every single game to be satisfied. And stop pretending the answer is always somewhere down the bench, because unfortunately this season it isn't.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Watching Auburn-Bama last night made me jealous. We wonder why we get blown out by teams like those in the tourney.

Mitch is not scoring on back to the basket post moves. Dave can, but not efficient enough to run the offense through him like Udoka or Cockburn.

But again, Self has been way better this year with the offense than pretty much any prior season. Can't criticize much until Remy gets to full strength and comfort within the system. That quote about forcing passes into the post even for a miss, though, is contradictory and dumb. Stubborn, but very successful, ball coach.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I want Dave and Mitch to play like Landen Lucas.

Mitch needs to not get rag dolled around, and Dave needs to not freak out.

Mitch’s problem is physical, and Dave’s is mental.

Put ‘em together and that would be quite a big man.

Especially cuz that big man would be 13 and a half feet tall.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

He didn't say "for a miss". He said even if they can't score. That means dump it in and kick it out. Opens more things up for the guards.

Agree about Auburn. But speaks to how great Self is actually doing with this team. We don't have an ultra talented roster and we are complaining that he should be getting even more out of the players we do have.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I do think this team’s peak is if we can get Dave playing with vision.

Couple dimes a game from the post could go a long way
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:33 am He didn't say "for a miss". He said even if they can't score. That means dump it in and kick it out. Opens more things up for the guards.

Agree about Auburn. But speaks to how great Self is actually doing with this team. We don't have an ultra talented roster and we are complaining that he should be getting even more out of the players we do have.
Our guards know that Dave has been a black hole his entire career. Kickouts would be great.

Not even Bill Self could convince me that throwing the ball to Mitch on the block early does anything for us but take time off the shot clock. Mitch's usage rate is high because he's mostly getting the ball with single digits on the clock or off of a penetration and dish.

The team's biggest strength, by far, is transition offense. No one in the country is better. Use it. And, Remy does get us back to doing that, so we're certainly in a little bit of a holding pattern right now with style and rotations.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:17 am Bill Self: CB isn't nearly shooting enough and Och has to play way more aggressive and take the ball to the rack.

Also Bill Self: Make sure you're always looking to throw the ball to the post for a bricked shot.
I know, right?

I wonder if the players are as confused as we are.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Dave was great in the closing minutes last night. he got the ball multiple times out of position and didn’t try to do too much. at least twice i was expecting him to hoist a 15-footer
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Stunning the number of ISU fans who feel like the flagrant foul on the ISU player who elbowed JCL in the face was a bad call. Are people not aware that the rule was changed a few years ago to remove the determination of intent? It doesn't have to be a purposefully swung elbow with the intent of hitting someone to be a flagrant.

ISU fans are out of their minds that the fix was in because of the missed goaltending call. If they were going to fix the game then they wouldn't have called the 50/50 call on the illegal screen on DMac with less than a minute left. That gets ignored 10 times a game on each team.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ISU fans gonna weatherwax
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:48 am Dave was great in the closing minutes last night. he got the ball multiple times out of position and didn’t try to do too much. at least twice i was expecting him to hoist a 15-footer
I thought for sure he was going to jack up a 3.
Broham
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:17 am Bill Self: CB isn't nearly shooting enough and Och has to play way more aggressive and take the ball to the rack.

I know, right?

Clearly Harris is shooting too much.

Take his two attempts per game and give one to a big and one to CB/Och and we're good.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I know, right?

Only if they also confuse be more aggressive for shoot the ball every time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Harris being a good FT shooter seems puzzling. But, his jumper release is awkward and very slow, so he needs to be wide open.

Also just needs to shake the mentality that he's not supposed to shoot. Those airballs are from overthinking.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I hope it’s from overthinking.

Cuz his weird girl shot almost looks like he’s not even strong enough to get the ball to the rim.

But plenty of girls are good shooters, so prob is just mental.

But yeah, especially since he’s currently the only small guard playing big minutes, and cuz he’s a good free throw shooter, and cuz even more good things happen when a guard gets in the lane than when a big is force fed, I hope his mentality is more downhill either way.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

I know, right?

Take his two attempts per game and give one to a big and one to CB/Och and we're good.
Wait are you being serious?

He’s averaging 3.9 shots per game, which seems like it could be more, especially for a starting guard on a blue blood top 10 team. Balanced scoring ain’t a bad thing.

I dunno. It also feels weird to say Dajuan should be taking more shots.

And yeah Dajuan’s role is primarily facilitator, but it’s not like he’s some Rajon Rondo type, so elite at controlling the pace and playmaking that it makes up for his subpar scoring.

We need all the production we can get. Especially with Remy out. This team isn’t built for a deep run scoring 60 points a game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:36 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

I know, right?

Wait are you being serious?

He’s averaging 3.9 shots per game, which seems like it could be more, especially for a starting guard on a blue blood top 10 team. Balanced scoring ain’t a bad thing.

I dunno. It also feels weird to say Dajuan should be taking more shots.

And yeah Dajuan’s role is primarily facilitator, but it’s not like he’s some Rajon Rondo type, so elite at controlling the pace and playmaking that it makes up for his subpar scoring.

We need all the production we can get. Especially with Remy out. This team isn’t built for a deep run scoring 60 points a game.
No. I wasn't.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.