Remy's Knee Thread:

Kansas Basketball.
sdoyel

Re: Remy's Knee Thread:

Post by sdoyel »

You couldn’t have watched the first weekend of March Madness last year and not know who Joe Yesufu was.

This kid was jumping out of the gym, hitting big time shots, showing leadership, swag, the works.

I think what we are seeing is that the athleticism and skill in the Big 12 vs Mo Valley is night and day.

Joe has struggled, mightily to adapt.

Does he have 1 explosive play yet this season? I don’t recall any.

I think anyone would be disappointed in Joe after the dominant run he had to close out last season…

That said, let this year be his learning curve. He’s still got 2 more seasons on campus.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, he has way more talent than Tharpe, it's just a sharp learning curve for guards here.

It is a way different level, though. You don't get to coast here. Even Remy is finding that out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:37 pm Yesufu is in a footrace with Ty Appleton for being the least impactful transfer guard in year one.
I thought about that soup gif today too, ha.

The difference being the transfer thing. Yes is supposed to be a known D1 commodity, not some question mark athlete you take a flyer on.

And wasn’t Ty a juco guy?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:52 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:37 pm Yesufu is in a footrace with Ty Appleton for being the least impactful transfer guard in year one.
I thought about that soup gif today too, ha.

The difference being the transfer thing. Yes is supposed to be a known D1 commodity, not some question mark athlete you take a flyer on.

And wasn’t Ty a juco guy?
I consider juco players transfers, but if you want to make the distinction, Yesufu is below Charlie Moore in Cunliffe territory.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Who’s the best juco guy been?

Mario Little by a more than little margin right?

And he was little more than a placeholder for when the Morrises was in the doghouse with Remy.

Which is to say, TGIF.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

🤷‍♂️
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Do you remember when self never played him all season and then threw him out there for quite a few minutes in the ncaa tourney?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Ty Appleton was a juco guy and came in the year after the championship team. So he was added to a really bad rebuilding team. Yes is on a really deep team
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:49 pm Yeah, he has way more talent than Tharpe, it's just a sharp learning curve for guards here.

It is a way different level, though. You don't get to coast here. Even Remy is finding that out.
I dont think the guys are coasting. Self has just always heavily favored guys with experience in his system. He expects guys to play his style of play.

So even if you were 1st team all pac 12, or a surprise ncaa tourney star, you still have to buy in and start over here at kansas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:45 pm You couldn’t have watched the first weekend of March Madness last year and not know who Joe Yesufu was.

This kid was jumping out of the gym, hitting big time shots, showing leadership, swag, the works.

I think what we are seeing is that the athleticism and skill in the Big 12 vs Mo Valley is night and day.

Joe has struggled, mightily to adapt.

Does he have 1 explosive play yet this season? I don’t recall any.

I think anyone would be disappointed in Joe after the dominant run he had to close out last season…

That said, let this year be his learning curve. He’s still got 2 more seasons on campus.
Athleticism isn't the issue. He went off against usc, the team that was too big and too athletic and absolutely dominant against KU last year

He just hasn't gotten the freedom or opportunity to showcase that explosiveness at ku. A far less athletic guy (dajuan) is eating up all the minutes because he has a 2 year head start playing bill self level defense and running bills offense
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:30 pm Remy can be a great player for us this year, but he's at best our 3rd best player imo. Maybe closer to 5th if good Dave sticks around.
5th best Crimscore.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yesefu is still the most explosive guard on our roster. His problem is he hasn't learned to guard at the level self expects (which is higher than at drake)
And his big problem is x's and o's. He is still learning where to pick his spots within KU's system where he can use his explosiveness
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The way for yesefu to improve, what he needs more than anything, is playing time. Self knows it and says it in interviews. But in the games self just feels safer with dajuan out there.

How did dajuan gain that experience and comfort level? Playing time. He got it last year cause we were trash
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

sorry, randy, but Yes has been given ample time to make an impression

as has been said, it’s incredibly telling that Pettiford immediately took all the backup minutes after injury

he’s obviously not doing what Self wants, in practice or in his game minutes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:39 pm

🤷‍♂️
Remy, is a grown man. If he can’t handle criticism when he isn’t playing well then big time basketball may not be for him. We also don’t know how things go behind closed doors but I will say sometimes I wish Self would keep these kind of thoughts between himself and the player.

Clearly something is wrong with Remy whether that be mentally or physically so why the need to dog him out publicly? If Ku has any aspirations of winning the whole thing it won’t happen with Juan getting 38 minutes and Remy getting 15.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m not sure Self “dogged” him out there. Said he tried too much, which he did, and Jalen was playing well. If Self isn’t pulling Harris and Jalen is lighting it up, Remy may not get as many minutes as he thought.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That said, Harris had a dog shit second half so I dunno Self.

We got lucky on that no call on the turnover.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yeah Juan was pretty bad in the 2nd last night, at least as far as his own offense is concerned

if he’d have hit those three floaters, things would look a lot different
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Here's my hot take...

Had JW not gotten a DUI I think Remy would have started the beginning of the year as our 6th man (and maybe contiued that role the entire year).

DH
Och
CB
JW
DMac

That lineup has been together for 3 years. Experience together creates continuity and comfortability.

How does Self move JW back to the bench now once Remy gets healthy?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:11 am yeah Juan was pretty bad in the 2nd last night, at least as far as his own offense is concerned

if he’d have hit those three floaters, things would look a lot different
Kansas has missed an unreasonably high number of bunnies, floaters and layups in the last three games. Braun and Harris have had a lot of shots roll of the rim lately that normally drop at a far higher percentage.