Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:46 pm
Deleted User 863

If Braun leaves it makes a lot more sense. Even more sense if Yesufu Cuffe or Pettiford transfer, although I think he would likely be capable of beating those guys out.

Here's a breakdown of some of the top choices...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 84902/Amp/
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:26 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:27 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:42 pm Duke in the davis hunt now. Doubt he comes here.
Less to do with Duke and more to do with us having multiple guys at his position. But gutter meter me if you must.
I mean, you're the one who established the context there ...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:08 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:42 pm Duke in the davis hunt now. Doubt he comes here.
Fits.
Sorry.
Was thinking Bates here.
Davis a different story.

While I’d prefer our guys to play, I’d take a high scoring smaller guard, something we won’t have and Self covets.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:28 am
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:08 pm
Fits.
Sorry.
Was thinking Bates here.
Davis a different story.

While I’d prefer our guys to play, I’d take a high scoring smaller guard, something we won’t have and Self covets.
I hope that's Yesufu.

I also think if we lose CB JW and Dave that we are sort of in a year where we may be another year away from being great anyway, in which case I'd prefer to go ahead and let the multi year guys (DH Yesufu Cuffe Pettiford KJ Clemence Udeh) develop together. Rather than plug and play another 1 year guy.

Had we not won the national title Remy would be viewed quite a bit differently by me. He was a national title or bust kind of transfer in my eyes. And boy did he come thru when it mattered most. Alls well that ends well. Maybe I am just being stubborn because i like "our guys".
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Interesting that in the basketball banquet Self said

on pettiford "he will be the next great guard here"

on Yesufu: dont remember the exact statement but was along the lines of "he played good in some games, won us some games, had some ups and downs, can be a good player. Has had some tough times I hope he sticks it out and becomes part of something great"
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:42 pm What does everyone think the odds are of Yesufu starting vs. Yesufu transferring as of today knowing that KU is showing interest in Kendric Davis and Jahmir Young?

My preference in order is Davis, Yesufu, Young.
I don't think Yesefu will transfer unless something dramatic happens. His problem is that Self loves Harris and the bulk of Yesefu's minutes will come as a PG and not a wing.

I tend to view our system like this

1 ball handler
3 wings
1 big

I think McCormack might be the last of that kind of big. I'd be surprised if we ever have a guy play 2,331 minutes over 96 starts and go 1-5 from the three point line.

Although so much of this is purely speculation until we get confirmation that Braun, Wilson and McCormack are all gone. I personally think all three are gone, but stranger things have happened.

Ball handlers - Harris, Pettiford, Yesefu

Wings - Dick, Rice, Adams, Cuffe

Big - Udeh, Ejiofor, Martin

TBD - Clemence. Could see him being either a wing or a big depending on how the roster finalizes.
Last edited by Cascadia on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

From what we’ve seen, Clemence won’t be able to switch out on the perimeter, so he looks like a 5.
Deleted User 863

I think Clemence is a 5 and KJ is a 4.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:45 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:14 pm Also, on a personal note, the one season transfer isn't the same as cheering for a guy you've seen grow at KU.
Same. Remy was my least favorite rotation player this year (i am not counting Yesufu KJ or Clemence as rotation players for purposes of this convo). Not a knock on him. Just a personal preference thing.
Chrome. Trailer hitch. Sorry about the national championship.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:09 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:42 pm What does everyone think the odds are of Yesufu starting vs. Yesufu transferring as of today knowing that KU is showing interest in Kendric Davis and Jahmir Young?

My preference in order is Davis, Yesufu, Young.
I don't think Yesefu will transfer unless something dramatic happens. His problem is that Self loves Harris and the bulk of Yesefu's minutes will come as a PG and not a wing.

I tend to view our system like this

1 ball handler
3 wings
1 big

I think McCormack might be the last of that kind of big. I'd be surprised if we ever have a guy play 2,331 minutes over 96 starts and go 1-5 from the three point line.

Although so much of this is purely speculation until we get confirmation that Braun, Wilson and McCormack are all gone. I personally think all three are gone, but stranger things have happened.

Ball handlers - Harris, Pettiford, Yesefu

Wings - Dick, Rice, Adams, Cuffe

Big - Udeh, Ejiofor, Martin

TBD - Clemence. Could see him being either a wing or a big depending on how the roster finalizes.
not sure why you would view our system that way, given last year was the first time weve ever seen it. self has always preferred having 2 guards. we only had 3 wings last year because self is willing to adapt to having his best players on the court. but you cant always expect that much playmaking from the wings. those were 3 experienced and talented wings
Deleted User 863

Sparko wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:15 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:45 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:14 pm Also, on a personal note, the one season transfer isn't the same as cheering for a guy you've seen grow at KU.
Same. Remy was my least favorite rotation player this year (i am not counting Yesufu KJ or Clemence as rotation players for purposes of this convo). Not a knock on him. Just a personal preference thing.
Chrome. Trailer hitch. Sorry about the national championship.
Weird.

If I don't like Remy more than DH that's a problem for you?
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Bill loves/trusts Dajuan so much that I don't think the highest rated recruit/transfer would take his starting spot...the recruit/transfer might start next to Dajuan, but he's not starting over Dajuan.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:18 pm Bill loves/trusts Dajuan so much that I don't think the highest rated recruit/transfer would take his starting spot...the recruit/transfer might start next to Dajuan, but he's not starting over Dajuan.
kinda why I don't see the point unless Self is giving up on Yes, thinks Cuffe isn't ready and ONLY sees pettiford as DH's backup.

Besides, if CB and Wilson both leave, don't we need wing depth?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I don't think Harris is a 100% lock to be the starting PG next year but he's clearly the favorite. I think a scenario exists where he becomes the backup PG.

And yes, if CB and Wilson leave we need more depth at wing. Enter Emoni Bates.
Deleted User 863

I don't know why Yes would leave. But weirder things have happened.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:22 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:18 pm Bill loves/trusts Dajuan so much that I don't think the highest rated recruit/transfer would take his starting spot...the recruit/transfer might start next to Dajuan, but he's not starting over Dajuan.
kinda why I don't see the point unless Self is giving up on Yes, thinks Cuffe isn't ready and ONLY sees pettiford as DH's backup.

Besides, if CB and Wilson both leave, don't we need wing depth?
Wing seems like we have guys that are definitely going to play in Dick, Adams, and Rice. That might be set, but maybe we take a chance on Bates.

As for combo guards, I am really starting to think we lose one of Yes or Pettiford. I would rather lose Pettiford--I still believe in Yes's upside and Pettiford's injury history has to be a little troubling for the staff. And still think Cuffe isn't anywhere near ready.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Selfs comments at the banquet sure make it seem like Pettiford isn't going anywhere
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's just numbers for me.

You're going to have 1-2 "Combo Guards" on the court together. You have 4 guys - DH, Yes, Pettiford, and Cuffe.

You're going to play 2-3 Wings, assuming Wilson and Braun leave, that's Adams, Dick, Rice. If you play 3 wings you have no subs.

Then we play 1 big, we have Clemence, Udeh, Adams, Martin, and Zubey assuming McMack leaves.

Even with Rice, Dick, and Adams it seems like we may need depth at the wing.

Until I hear that a guard has entered the portal, I'm not assuming someone's leaving. We know that Wilson Braun and Dave are weighing their options.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.