3 point offense

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: 3 point offense

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:53 pmI think he became the scapegoat early on and fans became convinced he was the problem and then they dug their heels in when it's become clear he's no longer the problem.
Yes, but only seeing those types mostly on twitter and not here. Dave's play isn't the problem now. He's actually played about as well as we could hope for since X-mas. He's just not very good and his best stats most often come when the rest of the team can't get going. That's a big problem.
Maybe it's just a matter of perspective and we're saying the same thing...but I feel like Dave bails us out some when we struggle on the perimeter.

I'd love to see us hit some 3s and penetrate even a little....or *gasp* get points in transition and lighten the load on Dave. I just think the onus to that is on the perimeter players. Also, we don't get any better as a team with Mitch in the game and his usage is pretty low. To me that means the perimeter guy are struggling whether getting the ball to the post is option #1 or option #5.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"or *gasp* get points in transition"

Would be great.
I dunno if we have the horses.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And yes, while it's only worth two points, it's good to see a bucket go down.
There have been points when we've gotten it to DMac and he hasn't done his fade away jumper deal and just quickly gets a hook for 2 - and you think, OK, maybe this can start something.

And then some random guy who has made like 4 3's in his career sinks a 28 foot shot.
Or something like that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:05 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:53 pmI think he became the scapegoat early on and fans became convinced he was the problem and then they dug their heels in when it's become clear he's no longer the problem.
Yes, but only seeing those types mostly on twitter and not here. Dave's play isn't the problem now. He's actually played about as well as we could hope for since X-mas. He's just not very good and his best stats most often come when the rest of the team can't get going. That's a big problem.
Maybe it's just a matter of perspective and we're saying the same thing...but I feel like Dave bails us out some when we struggle on the perimeter.

I'd love to see us hit some 3s and penetrate even a little....or *gasp* get points in transition and lighten the load on Dave. I just think the onus to that is on the perimeter players. Also, we don't get any better as a team with Mitch in the game and his usage is pretty low. To me that means the perimeter guy are struggling whether getting the ball to the post is option #1 or option #5.
"Dave bails us out some when we struggle on the perimeter."

Which is frankly what we primarily needed from him this season. But in no way should we double down on the 2015 Perry Ellis offense because Dave is just not good enough to do so. We have to find something to match our personnel and get them going again.

Sure, the perimeter players absolutely deserve blame here, especially Garrett, but I place so much of the blame on the staff for it being February and they have no clue how to find sets that gets the most out of players. The WVU box score is probably the way to get a couple of wins in March with this particular squad.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dave ain't gonna be TRob.
But our offense could be fine if he was our 2nd leading scorer at 14 PPG.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if Och wasn’t supposed to be this team’s star, then who?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I thought it'd be Garrett ( maybe not the leader in PPG but in overall impact i.e. KCrim score ).
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:46 pm I thought it'd be Garrett ( maybe not the leader in PPG but in overall impact i.e. KCrim score ).
I think the weirdest thing there is the fact he lost the ability to throw lobs. Last year he threw most of them because Dot sucked at it. Now Garrett can't throw them accurately.

Also really weird that he's our best 3 point shooter this year (minimum 2 attempts per game).