Jayhawks making $$$

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Jayhawks making $$$

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:27 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:23 am On one hand there’s this argument for some sort of aesthetic beauty of it or whatever. Who needs money involved when we can all play basketball for the love of the game!

On the other hand, other posters have told me on the pols bored that humans can’t be expected to do a single thing in this world unless there’s some monetary incentive. Why would anyone play basketball unless they’re getting paid?
The money's already there. Always has been.
Right; those "highest paid state employees" graphic has been around for 20 years.

If anything, NIL democratizes college sports, and pushes money down the ladder, from haves to have-nots.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"some sort of aesthetic beauty of it or whatever"

This eye rolling treatment of that value ( lol basketball is beautiful, things can have value beyond money, psssh ) is directly linked with the dollar bill argument.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ad nauseam response to money down ladders - i want money off the ladder, in this particular case, not down it.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:27 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:23 am On one hand there’s this argument for some sort of aesthetic beauty of it or whatever. Who needs money involved when we can all play basketball for the love of the game!

On the other hand, other posters have told me on the pols bored that humans can’t be expected to do a single thing in this world unless there’s some monetary incentive. Why would anyone play basketball unless they’re getting paid?
The money's already there. Always has been.
Right; those "highest paid state employees" graphic has been around for 20 years.

If anything, NIL democratizes college sports, and pushes money down the ladder, from haves to have-nots.
the deep thinkers are thinking deeply today. it's a beautiful thing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, there’s that argument too.

UK players always had a Porsche to whatever to drive around. The only difference now is, it’s not under the table.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

So much of the excitement of college sports is essentially tribalism. (Whether that in and of itself is a good thing is for another thread). But when a HS student chooses a school based on what car he gets, and not the school, the coach, the location...some of that is lost.

Save me the "this has always been going on" speech, it wasn't how college athletics were presented by the media, but now it is. It's on espn, it's part of the telecasts, etc.

It does make me less interested. It's eroding what makes college sports special, for me. The connection between the students/alumni and the players is weakened.

And, like I predicted, it isn't about a Jr or Sr who played great getting some money to be in a commercial, it immediately became just a recruiting mechanism. The very thing people said wouldn't happen. This only furthers the gap between the haves and the have nots. The money isn't going to be awarded to the players who generate the most excitement, or increase ticket sales, or result in the most wins. It's just a recruiting tool to lure unproven players to a school. It's not a fair market, the players who will get the most money are the ones who play for one year and leave. It will be the Diallos and Alexanders getting paid, not Grahams and Masons.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 am Ad nauseam response to money down ladders - i want money off the ladder, in this particular case, not down it.
Where’s this line drawn?

Should coaches not get paid either?

Should athletic departments not cut deals with sneaker companies?

Should conferences not sign lucrative media contracts?

Genuinely asking.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m here for it quite intrigued by the idea of just getting money out of everything.
Last edited by ousdahl on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:42 am So much of the excitement of college sports is essentially tribalism. (Whether that in and of itself is a good thing is for another thread). But when a HS student chooses a school based on what car he gets, and not the school, the coach, the location...some of that is lost.

Save me the "this has always been going on" speech, it wasn't how college athletics were presented by the media, but now it is. It's on espn, it's part of the telecasts, etc.

It does make me less interested. It's eroding what makes college sports special, for me. The connection between the students/alumni and the players is weakened.

And, like I predicted, it isn't about a Jr or Sr who played great getting some money to be in a commercial, it immediately became just a recruiting mechanism. The very thing people said wouldn't happen. This only furthers the gap between the haves and the have nots. The money isn't going to be awarded to the players who generate the most excitement, or increase ticket sales, or result in the most wins. It's just a recruiting tool to lure unproven players to a school. It's not a fair market, the players who will get the most money are the ones who play for one year and leave. It will be the Diallos and Alexanders getting paid, not Grahams and Masons.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:42 am So much of the excitement of college sports is essentially tribalism. (Whether that in and of itself is a good thing is for another thread). But when a HS student chooses a school based on what car he gets, and not the school, the coach, the location...some of that is lost.

The Grahams and Masons were getting paid.

Right now the highest NIL value is Paige Bueckers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am
pdub wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 am Ad nauseam response to money down ladders - i want money off the ladder, in this particular case, not down it.
Where’s this line drawn?

Should coaches not get paid either?

Should athletic departments not cut deals with sneaker companies?

Should schools not sign lucrative media contracts?

Genuinely asking.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m here for it quite intrigued by the idea of just getting money out of everything.
No, coaches shouldn't work for free.
They also don't need to be paid 5 million dollars a year.
I don't have the exact answers ( just like no one has the exact answers for college athletics becoming a one big professional super conference ) but perhaps there would be restrictions on money earned, or the money would have to go to facilities of the university ( not just for athletics - but it could be ). And yea, get the sneaker companies out of CBB.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am
Where’s this line drawn?

Should coaches not get paid either? They should be paid less than they are. I'd like to see more of that revenue going to scholarships, to programs to helps student athletes who don't go pro, to taking care of student athletes who lose scholarships becuase of injuries, etc.

Should athletic departments not cut deals with sneaker companies?I would rather see it done at the NCAA level, or at least conference level, rather than each school having their own contracts

Should conferences not sign lucrative media contracts? I've mentioned this before, but the balloon of tv contracts was largely a funded by non-sports fans. Grandma payes $90 a month for cable to watch DIY and the food network, but those are $.75 of her monthley bill while the sports networks are $10 worth.

Genuinely asking.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am

A. Proof?
B. I would prefer them not to be besides what they get ( to be on campus with no difficulties whatsoever - which means a good healthy stipend, awesome staff, meal plans, room/board -- i.e. something that future student athletes will benefit from ).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am

Not fairly.

We need to stop pretending this is a meritocracy. Or that free market rules apply.

Who got paid more between Cliff and Devonte? Not the one who spent 4 years playing here racking up wins. And that's only going to continue, only now it will be shoved down our throats by ESPN, the same way sports gambling has been.

And the money they got paid was to come here, which is what I've always had a problem with.

No one is getting a bonus for making all conference, or for being the leading scorer on a F4 team. They get paid according to their RSCI ranking.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The funny thing is JFish and CnB are reading this and thinking, "this is crazy talk - less money in college basketball - who are these lunatics? It can't be done! Free market! Free market!"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We can talk about pie in the sky all day, but the environment is what it is.

NCAA was finally put in hot fucking water letting hogs line their pockets with millions in cash.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I give it three/four years before ESPN broadcasts, when the players graphics come up during the game, have college player videos animated on eating a Subway sandwich.

"Dick eats foot longs, you can too."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:54 am We can talk about pie in the sky all day, but the environment is what it is.

NCAA was finally put in hot fucking water letting hogs line their pockets with millions in cash.
I think the arguments you and Fish are making are just as pie in the sky as pdub's.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"We can talk about pie in the sky all day, but the environment is what it is."

"Awful.
I think I got about two to three more years left in me."

"The allergic reaction you have to the notion of people getting paid for the value they generate remains profoundly weird to me, someone who doesn't have a problem with the notion of people getting paid for the value they generate."

"A better answer here is,
"It's inevitable that amateur athletics becomes professional as we live in a society that regards the dollar bill over all other things so unfortunately, pdub, you'll just have to accept this. That doesn't mean you have to like it however."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:53 amNo one is getting a bonus for making all conference, or for being the leading scorer on a F4 team. They get paid according to their RSCI ranking.
They're all allowed to now. And Spencer Rattler is #1 in NIL for CFB.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:56 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:54 am We can talk about pie in the sky all day, but the environment is what it is.

I think the arguments you and Fish are making are just as pie in the sky as pdub's.
I don't speak for fish, but my biggest argument has always been you can't morally (or legally) disallow NIL. And NIL is here.