Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

But we do know that KU is recruiting Davis and Young.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

tempted to make some joke about how likely Bobby stays and Yes goes cuz of Self's weird infatuation with guards who can't shoot
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, you've really kept that one under wraps the last two years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:15 am But we do know that KU is recruiting Davis and Young.
Right, it doesn't make sense to me, other than from a stockpiling talent perspective.

Maybe Self knows CB and JW are likely to return.

Otherwise it seems like we should be more aggressive about wings, unless Self wants to play two bigs, one wing, and two combo guards.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

My understanding is that Cuffe is not a ball handler, but an undersized scoring guard. So, a wing for KU.

Harris, Yesefu and Pettiford are the only ball handlers/combo guards on the roster.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:19 am My understanding is that Cuffe is not a ball handler, but an undersized scoring guard. So, a wing for KU.

Harris, Yesefu and Pettiford are the only ball handlers/combo guards on the roster.
I don't consider him a wing, Which is why I'm saying we play 1-2 G and 2-3 Wings. If Cuffe is in the game, that's 2 G and 2 Wings...to me.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:19 am Right, it doesn't make sense to me, other than from a stockpiling talent perspective.

Otherwise it seems like we should be more aggressive about wings, unless Self wants to play two bigs, one wing, and two combo guards.
I mean, the two big thing starts to make sense when you look at the personnel and I start to get anxiety--so going to ignore that further.

But I think you are overselling all of Yesufu, Pettiford, and Cuffe. I want someone else in that mix even if it means losing 1-2 of them--very skeptical on counting on Pettiford or Cuffe for 2023. Or, like Dajuan, it could push one of them into vast improvement.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:22 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:19 am Right, it doesn't make sense to me, other than from a stockpiling talent perspective.

I mean, the two big thing starts to make sense when you look at the personnel and I start to get anxiety--so going to ignore that further.

But I think you are overselling all of Yesufu, Pettiford, and Cuffe. I want someone else in that mix even if it means losing 1-2 of them--very skeptical on counting on Pettiford or Cuffe for 2023. Or, like Dajuan, it could push one of them into vast improvement.
I like using the portal to fill holes, or to get a truly great player.

I don't really like the precedent of using it to recruit over guys, it's like running in sand. You run off guys with 3 years of eligibility and bright futures for one year of a guy you think is better right now...and you know is going to struggle for the first two months to get his footing.

Then you have to build through the portal again the next year, and so on.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:26 amI like using the portal to fill holes, or to get a truly great player.
I think Davis gives us both on that, but maybe no one else does.

I'm sure Bill knows a lot more about who is coming and going, so I think any holes start to become more evident beyond just me not expecting much of anything out of Pettiford or Cuffe in 2023.

I see more lineups next year like we saw when Remy was playing next to Dajuan. I think we need another shooter in between Harris and Dick--that can be filled with a combo guard.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:30 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:26 amI like using the portal to fill holes, or to get a truly great player.
I think Davis gives us both on that, but maybe no one else does.

I'm sure Bill knows a lot more about who is coming and going, so I think any holes start to become more evident beyond just me not expecting much of anything out of Pettiford or Cuffe in 2023.

I see more lineups next year like we saw when Remy was playing next to Dajuan. I think we need another shooter in between Harris and Dick--that can be filled with a combo guard.
This might be our disconnect.

You think Davis is a significant upgrade. I think he's an incremental upgrade who's also going to have a learning curve.

I also am hesitant to have a lineup where new guys like Dick and Rice (maybe Udeh) are going to play a lot of minutes, and then throwing one more newcomer into the mix when we have 4 guys who've been here, 3 of whom have played, one of them for 2 years.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:17 am tempted to make some joke about how likely Bobby stays and Yes goes cuz of Self's weird infatuation with guards who can't shoot
are we sure Bobby can't shoot?

in very limited action he shot 53% from the field to Yesufus 38%.
Just Ledoux it
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:37 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:17 am tempted to make some joke about how likely Bobby stays and Yes goes cuz of Self's weird infatuation with guards who can't shoot
are we sure Bobby can't shoot?

in very limited action he shot 53% from the field to Yesufus 38%.
0-3 from 3 in 112 minutes.

I think saying he can't shoot is giving him the Harris treatment where you equate won't and can't.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There will be a learning curve, but I think it's pretty clear that Davis would be our most talented guard.

If Dajuan were a scorer, I'd be less concerned. Yesufu, Pettiford, neither one gave me freshman Sherron vibes off the bench, i.e. where we were very comfortable with a bench guy assuming a large role.

I think the only way any good tourney stuff happens next season is going the transfer route, but I am concerned about not developing guys for the longer future.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:43 am There will be a learning curve, but I think it's pretty clear that Davis would be our most talented guard.

If Dajuan were a scorer, I'd be less concerned. Yesufu, Pettiford, neither one gave me freshman Sherron vibes off the bench, i.e. where we were very comfortable with a bench guy assuming a large role.

I think the only way any good tourney stuff happens next season is going the transfer route, but I am concerned about not developing guys for the longer future.
I think this is overly pessimistic. It wouldn't surprise me if either Yesufu or Pettiford (or, shit, both) takes a big step forward this offseason, having spent a year in the program.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:49 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:43 am There will be a learning curve, but I think it's pretty clear that Davis would be our most talented guard.

I think this is overly pessimistic. It wouldn't surprise me if either Yesufu or Pettiford (or, shit, both) takes a big step forward this offseason, having spent a year in the program.
It might just be semantics, but I meant like Final Four good rather than a 2009 Sweet 16 type season. I think the latter is certainly possible even if we add no one.

But given the way Yesufu looked and Pettiford's injury history, I'd want a little more assurance at the off-guard spot. Of course, though, both those guys could take big strides like Self players often do.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

If Bill is going to bring in a guard transfer it seems like Davis would make the most sense, but if that doesn't work out for some reason I'd be totally good with Grant Sherfield.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i am a big fan of developing the kids that we have on the roster.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:14 pm i am a big fan of developing the kids that we have on the roster.
Same.

1 yr transfers make sense sometimes. Remy made a ton of sense. Next year it makes less sense to me unless Dave CB and JW all come back and we are chasing a repeat.

Imo, if Davis was a total team changer super talent he'd be leaving for the NBA.

I think building for the 2023-2024 season is important. Senior DH, Yes, jr KJ Clemence bobby, sophomore Dick MJ Udeh. We can try to "win now" next year with those guys, while also developing for the future. The 1 yr transfer to boost NBA stock isn't that appealing to me. It takes time to build chemistry.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KJ such an obvious Jalen replacement.

https://instagram.com/stories/kjxadams/ ... MyMTA2M2Y=
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:22 pmImo, if Davis was a total team changer super talent he'd be leaving for the NBA.
Talent is not why guys like Davis, Remy, Frank Mason don't leave early for the NBA.