21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:00 am Not sure I'd bet on with that, the latter 3 are going to see a ton of court time regardless of the sets.

The roster is huge, but it's pretty clearly set up to be another tight rotation--a solid 8. The good thing is that the guys left out will be almost all freshmen.
Rites of the board:

May-October: "Bill might play ten or eleven guys!"
November - April: Bill plays 8.5 guys.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm also seeing Mitch as Dave's replacement.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:42 am
hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:38 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am
I think we will see almost no Jalen at the 5 this year unless we are in desperation need a 3 mode.

We will see Cam at the 5 whenever Dave is out. Not sure who else can really play the 5 tbh.
I'm happy to bet on that. I'm certain I could be wrong, but you're counting on a D2 player who actually isn't all that big by center standards to come in and be the main sub for Dave? Just name the dollar amount.
I'm not at all defending this, but I'd put a pretty substantial bet on Mitch being the first guy off the bench when McCormack comes off.
Sure, in the sense that Bill values experience and familiarity. But do we expect Dave to play 30 mins a game? He was at like 24 last year and I would expect that to come up, but not to 30. That leaves over 10 minutes available at the 5. I think Mitch is likely to be the first off the bench, but if Dave is unplayable for any reason down the stretch, I would bet Jalen is at the 5 over Mitch and Cam.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah he’s not all that big by center standards, but he’s still bigger than our other option in Mitch.

Inch taller, with way broader shoulders too. Think he’ll look a lot bigger once we see him next to Mitch.

If he can 1. Not get pushed around as much as Mitch and 2. Actually score a little too, that’s a big upgrade.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am
hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:04 am Oh I think Mitch is ass too. I think there's a good chance we see Jalen at 5 for more minutes per game than Cam or Mitch. But I could see situationally where Mitch and Cam have to play -- slow start, Dave foul trouble, etc.

Self has shown more willingness of late to do those funky lineups where you would see Jalen at the 5. In that scenario, it alleviates the log jam we have elsewhere in the lineup, particularly 1-3. Remy, Yes, Braun, OA, and Jalen would be tough for anyone to exploit unless they have an elite big.
I think we will see almost no Jalen at the 5 this year unless we are in desperation need a 3 mode.

We will see Cam at the 5 whenever Dave is out. Not sure who else can really play the 5 tbh.
I'm happy to bet on that. I'm certain I could be wrong, but you're counting on a D2 player who actually isn't all that big by center standards to come in and be the main sub for Dave? Just name the dollar amount.
Agreed. Mitch is the betting fave to be Dave's spell.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:46 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:42 am

I'm not at all defending this, but I'd put a pretty substantial bet on Mitch being the first guy off the bench when McCormack comes off.
Sure, in the sense that Bill values experience and familiarity. But do we expect Dave to play 30 mins a game? He was at like 24 last year and I would expect that to come up, but not to 30. That leaves over 10 minutes available at the 5. I think Mitch is likely to be the first off the bench, but if Dave is unplayable for any reason down the stretch, I would bet Jalen is at the 5 over Mitch and Cam.
I would hope it would depend on the opponent. I'm with you I think - unless the other side has a big that can really hurt us, I'd prefer Plan B to be four guards plus Jalen.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:46 am Yeah he’s not all that big by center standards, but he’s still bigger than our other option in Mitch.

Inch taller, with way broader shoulders too. Think he’ll look a lot bigger once we see him next to Mitch.

If he can 1. Not get pushed around as much as Mitch and 2. Actually score a little too, that’s a big upgrade.
But not a physical player.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Mitch has played at Kansas for a like a decade and I've lost count of how many times Bill has screamed and pulled him after a single missed defensive assignment. I don't expect Mitch to improve that much and I don't expect Bill to change all that much.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mitch put up 3.4 points and 2.5 boreds in 10 minutes a game in a season we were desperate for depth at the 5. With Mac playing 24 a game, that’s still 6 minutes a game we were trying something besides our backup 5.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:48 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:46 am Yeah he’s not all that big by center standards, but he’s still bigger than our other option in Mitch.

Yeah, it would be one thing if Cam was known as a banger near the rim but with an elite outside shot, but he isn't. He's either going to hit a million threes or not and I just don't think that's who Bill is going to play for extended minutes.

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mitch played in all 30 games last year averaging about 11 minutes.

It's not a big role by any means, and if Cam can unseat it, then great. Just seems very unlikely.

Cam is about as "everything is gravy" of a player as we've ever had.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Do we know that? (That Cam’s not physical)

Are we calling Mitch a physical player?

What does our reserve 5 playing outside in do for our offense as a whole? Could that open the floor up for everyone else?
Last edited by ousdahl on Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Does anyone know how many minutes Jalen spent at the 5 last year?

Or rather, someone besides Mitch and Dave at the 5
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:50 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:48 am

Yeah, it would be one thing if Cam was known as a banger near the rim but with an elite outside shot, but he isn't. He's either going to hit a million threes or not and I just don't think that's who Bill is going to play for extended minutes.
The only thing that makes me optimistic for Cam is that I don't think Boschee would send over a player that he absolutely knows wouldn't be able to handle spot minutes.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:51 am Do we know that?

Are we calling Mitch a physical player?

What does our reserve 5 playing outside in do for our offense as a whole? Could that open the floor up for everyone else?
Yes.

No. That's why I don't want him to play either.

It helps, especially when you want to get your best 5 players out there, hence Jalen at the 5 instead of the other two jobbers.

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, pointing out the reality of Cam is not a defense of Mitch.

I love this upcoming team, but ready for the Mitch chapter to be over, like I was with Jamari.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Often in these discussions, I mix what I want to happen with what I think will happen. I don't think Yes will start over Braun, but I want it.

On the Jalen point, I both want and expect it to happen. I'm as clueless as anyone else about what's going on in Bill's head, but he's talked about athleticism and shooting since the USC loss and in crunch time, if Dave is out, Jalen gives the best mixture of both available.

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mitch is a physical player as a role.
He's just not built to excel in that role at a place like KU.
But he knows the system, has learned a lot from Self and gives good effort ( play hard! ).

He is better than advertised at timing when to go up for the block.
Sometimes he can surprise down low on offense.

I think he gets 8-10 minutes this season.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:52 am Does anyone know how many minutes Jalen spent at the 5 last year?

Or rather, someone besides Mitch and Dave at the 5

I just tried to find it but couldn't. I'm certain the information is out there but maybe only through those advanced data firms.

- lobser
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think Cam vs Mitch (vs Clemence for that matter) is going to be based on defense. If there is no difference defensively between Cam and Mitch, then you'd think Cam would get the minutes.

Mitch gets blocks and charges, but he doesn't rebound well on that end and makes a lot of mistakes (resulting in the ass-chewings hasbeen referred to). Doesn't seem like that high a bar.