Remy's Knee Thread:

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Remy's Knee Thread:

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Again, I don't think we'd have this conversation if Remy and Pettiford would have stayed healthy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:44 am When Malik struggled early, no one was saying Clay Young should be getting 35 minutes a night instead.

Yes we play better with Harris, albeit in a low ceiling kinda way. If we’re better offensively and run more with him, then how are so many of these games still in the 60s?
I think it's a combo of not having Remy Martin and the Big 12 being the best defensive conference in the nation. At least that is what I am telling myself for now.
Yea.

Winning is winning, and I’m glad this team is grinding out these down-to-the-last-possession victories, but I think we’re capable of more.

Maybe if this year’s January slump is a few games only in the 60s, then we’re doing just fine
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

DH makes us "low ceiling" but Yesufu makes us something else?

I think he makes he makes us worse.

Ous think he makes us high ceiling because he jumps high and scored pts for Drake as a volume shooter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Tell us what else ous thinks!
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:43 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:39 am
I mean, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Every recruit is gonna get immediate playing time, every backup is better than the starter.

Yesufu looked great in last year's ncaa tourney, but Harris has been better all season.
The one scenario where I will sort-of defend Yesufu is that Bill brought him in and did promise him at least a chance at PT this season. Yesufu is who Bill has right now and Bill handpicked him. So, if we are in a position where we need Yesufu at the end of the season and he's not ready to play, that's at least partially on Bill when you consider our soft non-con.
This is something I think Self has made a mistake with more in the past.

Yesufu has 115 minutes in 15 team games and only 2 DNPs, I think he's gotten enough PT where you can't really say he's not ready.

The one thing I think Self NEEDS to do, and we've said this before, is pick between Pettiford and Yesufu.
I think the problem there is every time he seems to pick one, that one goes out and plays so badly that they're unplayable.

Yesufu is broken. He can't play with a short leash. His constant mistakes on both ends are mental, and you can physically see his lack of confidence out there. And Bill isn't going to lose games just to make him feel like he has a long leash. This relationship isn't going to work. And I don't fault Bill for that.
Last edited by Mjl on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:17 am Why is Yesufu "more talented" at basketball than DH? Just because he jumps higher? Scored a bunch of pts at Drake?

They're the same age. One looks significantly better than the other, especially at every aspect of basketball other than scoring.
Yesefu jumps higher, is stronger, bigger frame (dajuan is a rail thin twig), better shooting ability, better scoring ability, is a lot quicker, combine quickness strength and leaping ability and you have an explosive guy that is hard to guard. Dajuan is not hard to guard.

But dajuan plays smart, knows his role, is unselfish, plays hard defense, and defers to the more talented players around him
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

after every win the oushdale logs on to tell us how yesufu should have played more. i look forward to it.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am Tell us what else ous thinks!
You're the one who constantly throws around things like "DH makes us low ceiling"....& "CB makes us low ceiling". It's dumb and it's wrong. Especially from someone who has admitted you don't watch all the games.

When else are you seeing Yesufu? Watching Drake replays and thinking it translates to KU?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:43 am

The one scenario where I will sort-of defend Yesufu is that Bill brought him in and did promise him at least a chance at PT this season. Yesufu is who Bill has right now and Bill handpicked him. So, if we are in a position where we need Yesufu at the end of the season and he's not ready to play, that's at least partially on Bill when you consider our soft non-con.

Yesufu has 115 minutes in 15 team games and only 2 DNPs, I think he's gotten enough PT where you can't really say he's not ready.

The one thing I think Self NEEDS to do, and we've said this before, is pick between Pettiford and Yesufu.
I think the problem there is every time he seems to pick one, that one goes out and plays so badly that they're unplayable.

Yesufu is broken. He can't play with a short leash. His constant mistakes on both ends are mental, and you can physically see his lack of confidence out there. And Bill isn't going to lose games just to make him feel like he has a long leash. This relationship isn't going to work. And I don't fault Bill for that.
Yesufu has two more seasons, right?

I think he gets a shot at starter minutes next season assuming CB is going to the NBA.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:53 am DH makes us "low ceiling" but Yesufu makes us something else?

I think he makes he makes us worse.

Ous think he makes us high ceiling because he jumps high and scored pts for Drake as a volume shooter.
Yesefu doesn't need to be a volume shooter. All I want is him to play 10-15 minutes a game. I want to see him beat his man off the dribble and kick the ball out to ochai braun and Wilson for open shots. And occasionally get to the rim.

Yesefu has the quickness strength and low center of gravity to routinely beat his man off the dribble. Hes explosive. Dajuan is slow and doesn't give us that element
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Teams with a lead guard that struggle to beat their man off the dribble are missing a huge element of the game
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:38 am Yesufu was one of the gems of the transfer portal before Remy was even on our radar.

But go figure, they can keep each other company in the dog house.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -to-texas/

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... gs-2021-22

Yesefu was ranked #57 on this CBS list of transfer portal players and was outside of the Top 100 on the ESPN list. Not exactly a "gem" so maybe some of the frustration is based on poor memory and unrealistic expectations.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm all in on the yesefu train. But its not a dajuan or yesefu argument here. Its dajuan and yesefu. We need dajuan to be a safety net for us. But not for 30+ minutes a game. We need yesefu to give us some of what dajuan can't. Even if its just 10/15 minutes of penetrating and kicking the ball out. That opens up the entire offense. Its what Dotson did to make our shooters look so good a few seasons ago
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:17 am Why is Yesufu "more talented" at basketball than DH? Just because he jumps higher? Scored a bunch of pts at Drake?

They're the same age. One looks significantly better than the other, especially at every aspect of basketball other than scoring.
Yesefu jumps higher, is stronger, bigger frame (dajuan is a rail thin twig), better shooting ability, better scoring ability, is a lot quicker, combine quickness strength and leaping ability and you have an explosive guy that is hard to guard. Dajuan is not hard to guard.

But dajuan plays smart, knows his role, is unselfish, plays hard defense, and defers to the more talented players around him
DH has a high career shooting % than Yesufu.

At what point do actual stats/evidence matter more than eye test?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:03 am Yesefu has the quickness strength and low center of gravity to routinely beat his man off the dribble. Hes explosive.
the legend of yesufu grows on the website every single day.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes is prob moot, cuz like I already said, Remy’s gonna take the remaining guard minutes going forward.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yesufu 3.5 TO per 40.
Remy 3.3 TO per 40.
Dejuan Harris 2.2 TO per 40.

This may have something to do with it as well.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:03 am
Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 am

Yesufu has two more seasons, right?

I think he gets a shot at starter minutes next season assuming CB is going to the NBA.
As his biggest fan, my love for CB has obviously been unwavering.

But with that said, and just in case I haven’t made enough heads explode this morning, how’s this for a shotgun take:

Wilson is more likely than CB to go pro after this year.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

didn't they say last night that dh has the best assist to TO ratio in the BIG 12?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 am Yesufu 3.5 TO per 40.
Remy 3.3 TO per 40.
Dejuan Harris 2.2 TO per 40.

This may have something to do with it as well.
Yea.

Now compare them on the other per 40s!