Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:51 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:37 pm "Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now."

Well. I don't think that's totally wrong.
Maybe it's not wrong, but it's not exactly insightful either.

Differences in programs have existed forever.

* Some schools have better academic reputations than others.
* Some schools play on TV more than others.
* Some schools have nicer player amenities than others.
* Some schools have more/better fans than others.
* Some schools have better arenas/facilities than others.
* Some schools tend to put more players in the NBA than others.
* Some schools have better traditions than others.
* Some schools have better coaches than others.
* Some schools have better scenery than others.
* Some schools are located in better cities/towns/states than others.
* Some schools offer more playing time than others.
* Some schools have better development track records than others.
* Some schools are more likely to win lots of games than others.

There's nothing magical or even fundamentally different about NIL. It is a factor influencing where kids will go, just like the dozens of other things that play into that decision.
There's an argument that NIL could actually help level that playing field.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:57 pm

He probably would have been preseason All Big 12 had he stayed at ISU. Likely plays 2+ more seasons.

And then think about how pissed off ISU fans would be and the conspiracies they would cook up if KU would grab him. I might want him more than anyone just for that.
Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now. KU players aren't making stupid money in NIL so I definitely don't think that is what is driving this move. Seems like being a PG on a shitty offense is the bigger problem for Hunter and why he is looking to leave.
My new boss is paying $500 for 2 illini players (not the super high profile players) to come to his wife's birthday party for 30min. They're season ticket holders and huge fans. Had to sign contracts and everything so that income is disclosed for tax purposes.

So I guess it depends what "stupid money" is, but i think it's very realistic for higher profile guys to be earning well over 6 figures a year via NIL if they desire to put the time/work in. I don't see the "here's $500k for 25min of work" for a commerical type stuff happening as much as i expected, which is a good thing. But these kids can/do get paid well for stuff.
I don't think getting 500 bucks for a birthday party is the example you want to use to state how realistic it is for athletes to make well over 6 figures a year. They don't have that kind of time and the demand just can't be there.

Now the social media ad dollars can be quite real and light work and that is why we are seeing female athletes getting nice NIL dollars.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:35 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm

Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now. KU players aren't making stupid money in NIL so I definitely don't think that is what is driving this move. Seems like being a PG on a shitty offense is the bigger problem for Hunter and why he is looking to leave.
My new boss is paying $500 for 2 illini players (not the super high profile players) to come to his wife's birthday party for 30min. They're season ticket holders and huge fans. Had to sign contracts and everything so that income is disclosed for tax purposes.

So I guess it depends what "stupid money" is, but i think it's very realistic for higher profile guys to be earning well over 6 figures a year via NIL if they desire to put the time/work in. I don't see the "here's $500k for 25min of work" for a commerical type stuff happening as much as i expected, which is a good thing. But these kids can/do get paid well for stuff.
I don't think getting 500 bucks for a birthday party is the example you want to use to state how realistic it is for athletes to make well over 6 figures a year. They don't have that kind of time and the demand just can't be there.

Now the social media ad dollars can be quite real and light work and that is why we are seeing female athletes getting nice NIL dollars.
Maybe not the best example.

$500 per hour is why i used the example. They could do 1 or more of those almost every single day during the offseason. There are people lined up around the block willing to pay them for appearance fees. 500/hr means 200hrs of work and you're at $100,000. That's realistic.

It's also the only example with an actual dollar amount I am aware of. I have no idea how much Mitch makes from 1-800-GOT-JUNK.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Deleted User 863

Estimated post value? For the athlete or the company/brand?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:39 pm$500 per hour is why i used the example. They could do 1 or more of those almost every single day during the offseason. There are people lined up around the block willing to pay them for appearance fees.
For birthday parties--that sounds awful.

And I do hesitate to agree that a lot of these guys have a long list of appearances lined up. Especially for things like birthday parties.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:41 pm Estimated post value? For the athlete or the company/brand?
For the brand, but why would the athlete charge anything less?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Tyrese hunter, Iowa st pg. entered the transfer portal. thats a big time loss for them that kid was a really good freshman pg. big 12 freshman of the year

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iowa-state-b ... 07282.html
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:19 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:37 pm "Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now."

Well. I don't think that's totally wrong.

There's nothing magical or even fundamentally different about NIL. It is a factor influencing where kids will go, just like the dozens of other things that play into that decision.
Yes. I’ve thought all along that NIL will help the have nots more than the have’s
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A&Ms boosters just reportedly spent 30 million on their recruiting class.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:54 pm

Yes. I’ve thought all along that NIL will help the have nots more than the have’s
Absolutely. It's a thing that can be an inducement to go a school that is very easy to offer; one can't just decide to have history or tradition or TV appearances or 16,300 or McCarthy Hall or on and on. A booster CAN, though, simply decide to make a compelling NIL offer.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:54 pm

My hesitancy on that now is that I think we are seeing that the athletes are really starting to pay attention to reach and audience and I think the transfer portal is reflecting that.

A local example would be Caroline Crawford who really has no great reason to transfer away from KUVB when you consider her background and how good both she and the team will be. But apparently NIL was the biggest reason for the move as Wisconsin is coming off the National Title and just generally takes VB more seriously than KU.

Then you have Armando Bacot who by all accounts would get drafted this summer. But he might be CBB's biggest star name entering next season and then throw the UNC brand on top of it--he's staying for a great and unique NIL opportunity.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If you're Iowa State or Kansas State, though, you should really welcome NIL.

You have the Power 5 TV contract, fanbases that care, and playing time to offer.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:11 pm If you're Iowa State or Kansas State, though, you should really welcome NIL.

You have the Power 5 TV contract, fanbases that care, and playing time to offer.
Sure. The rest is just money. None of the numbers being thrown around are at all prohibitive for alumni/booster bases of ANY Power 5 schools.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I guess this is not against the rules because he’s a transfer?

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:39 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:35 pm

Maybe not the best example.

$500 per hour is why i used the example. They could do 1 or more of those almost every single day during the offseason. There are people lined up around the block willing to pay them for appearance fees. 500/hr means 200hrs of work and you're at $100,000. That's realistic.

It's also the only example with an actual dollar amount I am aware of. I have no idea how much Mitch makes from 1-800-GOT-JUNK.
The notion that each of these players has 200 of these things, each at $500 per event, that they could do is as silly as thinking they have 200 days a year they could do them.
Deleted User 863

I said nothing about 200 days. I said 200 hours per year at that level of compensation.

And the 2 players in my actual real life example are the equivalent of Lightfoot and Teahan. Not even the stars of the team, those guys cost more I would imagine.

Of course the market is different at each school and for different level of players.

How much do you think the KU guys got paid to work at Raisin' Canes the other day? My guess is a lot more than any of the actual employees made that day.

There is good money in NIL.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wonder if Self is assuring possible transfers that he won't be suspended and/or we won't be banned from the NCAA tournament.
Deleted User 863

Not sure how he could?

But whatever happens, i am hopeful they will be coach specific punishments (Self and/or KT) and not carry over to the team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 amNot sure how he could?
It's within the realm of possibility that the NCAA and Self/KU could come to a joint agreement.

IF that were to happen, the lawyers and parties would know if settlement was imminent.