Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:30 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:22 pm
randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 pm Wiggins is playing really good basketball this year. he's come a long way as an overall player. his stats look good but his feel for the game he looks like a different player than what he used to be. defense, passing, everything. I'm intrigued to see what the warriors look like when klay comes back. it'll open the court up even more for wiggs
Wiggins the perfect guy to be the third best player on a really good team.
this seems like such a backhanded compliment, particularly for a dude recognized since like age 9 to have superstar potential.

Same thing happened when I watched a dubs game the other night and the announcer called Wiggins something like a “phenomenal complimentary piece” and it kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Michael Jordan would have been a great 3rd best player too, but
Or you could say he's the second scoring option on a team with Steph Curry.

Other guys who are the second scoring option on their team: Anthony Davis and James Harden
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:24 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:16 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:57 pm

I wouldn't be so sure, unless he dies next year.
Yep. From what I have read, he has a $75 million dollar guaranteed contract with Nike and may have close to a hundred million by the time he is 26 even if he never plays another basketball game in his life.
So my question is.....
What real/true incentive and motivation does he have to work hard anymore? Unless he truly cares about his "legacy".
$100 million is a drop in the bucket to what he could earn if he was able to stay healthy and play to his potential through his career. Oubre's made $50 million just in salary at age 26 and he is a nobody.
Oh, I agree he stands to make a lot more than 100 million if he can stay healthy and play to his potential but there is very little to indicate he can/will stay healthy.
If you choose to believe what you can read from a somewhat reliable source, it seems maybe he doesn't really give a fudge about having a healthy productive NBA career.

https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/zion ... icans-bjs/

As far as Oubre, I understand your sentiment but calling him a "nobody" is a bit harsh. ;)

15th pick in the draft.
18.7 ppg and 6.4 rpg 2019/2020
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:30 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:22 pm
randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 pm Wiggins is playing really good basketball this year. he's come a long way as an overall player. his stats look good but his feel for the game he looks like a different player than what he used to be. defense, passing, everything. I'm intrigued to see what the warriors look like when klay comes back. it'll open the court up even more for wiggs
Wiggins the perfect guy to be the third best player on a really good team.
this seems like such a backhanded compliment, particularly for a dude recognized since like age 9 to have superstar potential.

Same thing happened when I watched a dubs game the other night and the announcer called Wiggins something like a “phenomenal complimentary piece” and it kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Michael Jordan would have been a great 3rd best player too, but
Everyone has a role they would be best at. I just don't think "Alpha Dude" for a franchise is Wiggins best role. Which is fine, not everyone has the right combination of ability and mentality. I think he can be a better player in this role than "Alpha Dude" role.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 pm

Yep. From what I have read, he has a $75 million dollar guaranteed contract with Nike and may have close to a hundred million by the time he is 26 even if he never plays another basketball game in his life.
So my question is.....
What real/true incentive and motivation does he have to work hard anymore? Unless he truly cares about his "legacy".
$100 million is a drop in the bucket to what he could earn if he was able to stay healthy and play to his potential through his career. Oubre's made $50 million just in salary at age 26 and he is a nobody.
Oh, I agree he stands to make a lot more than 100 million if he can stay healthy and play to his potential but there is very little to indicate he can/will stay healthy.
If you choose to believe what you can read from a somewhat reliable source, it seems maybe he doesn't really give a fudge about having a healthy productive NBA career.

As far as Oubre, I understand your sentiment but calling him a "nobody" is a bit harsh. ;)

15th pick in the draft.
That’s Wiggins production, for half the $
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 pm

So my question is.....

15th pick in the draft.
Players picked at #15 in the last 15 drafts:

2021: Corey Kispert
2020: Cole Anthony
2019: Sekou Doumbouya
2018: Troy Brown
2017: Justin Jackson
2016: Juan Hernangómez
2015: Kelly Oubre
2014: Adreian Payne
2013: Giannis Antetokounmpo
2012: Maurice Harkless
2011: Kawhi Leonard
2010: Larry Sanders
2009: Austin Daye
2008: Robin Lopez
2007: Rodney Stuckey

So I will definitely call him the 3rd best performing #15 pick in the last 15 drafts. I am glad he is playing as well as he is as KU hoops benefits from the success of every former player doing well in the NBA. Good for him, good for KU.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I might go with Lopez over Oubre, too, but we'll have to see in 7 years.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

why? he should have plenty of money.

either he just loves playing.....or he's terrible with his money.

I mean, I guess I'd play as long as I was able....but, I dunno, with the amount id money hea made in his career I might find it more pleasant to dissappear onto my Ranch or Villa somewhere.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:30 am why? he should have plenty of money.

I mean, I guess I'd play as long as I was able....but, I dunno, with the amount id money hea made in his career I might find it more pleasant to dissappear onto my Ranch or Villa somewhere.
He wants to give the NBA 1 more shot and this appears to be his best path back.

I doubt it's money. He could make more money doing things other than G League.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sign him Red Claws.
I'll go watch.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:30 am why? he should have plenty of money.

With COVID outbreak, I am wondering if his agent thinks he can get on an NBA team for some games this season. Chicago would take him. That guy has always loved to play hoops.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That would be cool if he got more nba minutes.

It’ll be tricky though, at age 35, having not played in the league in like almost 4 years, and having come off an Achilles injury.

But yeah maybe wacky covid lineups will help his chances
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah problem will be defense. Doubt he'll be able to guard anyone, especially in transition.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Devonte with the game winner!

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

at least his 2nd buzzer winner of the season.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 pm Devonte with the game winner!

About 5 feet behind where he took shots before leaving the floor after warm-ups before every game. I loved watching Graham take those.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:58 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 pm Devonte with the game winner!

About 5 feet behind where he took shots before leaving the floor after warm-ups before every game. I loved watching Graham take those.
Dude loves playing basketball. Not all players are like that.

Deleted User 863

Big game all around for him last night. I don't understand why they aren't better. Ingram Graham Hart and JoVal is a decent core of players. Alexander-Walker is a good bench piece. Herbert Jones is a really good defender. If they ever get a healthy/inshape Zion then that should be a playoff team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Big if.

No pun intended.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I read that it was the longest buzzer beater in league history.