Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
Qusdahl

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by Qusdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 am
Qusdahl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 am Yeah.

This team’s ceiling is in transition, if they’re able to turn a game into a track meet.

But - are we really doing that, at least yet? How often do we really score an easy transition bucket?

IS Harris loads better in transition? Is there a fast break points stat for this team?

And while I agree that Harris brings the intangibles, I also don’t know if I’ve ever seen a D1 guard who was less of a threat to score.

Like for real how can a guy drive the lane and be looking everywhere but the rim!
?

We've been getting out in transition all season. Latest example was . . . Monday night when transition buckets built the lead that we eventually blew. It is a big reason why CB's numbers are so much better this year as he is a killer in transition. Och too as he gets some of his best 3 point looks in transition. We are playing the fastest pace of the Bill Self era, even faster than 2018 (last I checked).

Of course, that's even more reason to play Remy, but Dajuan does fine on the break because of his vision and the fact that he will get the ball down the court quickly.
So maybe the question is, why weren’t we able to keep the transition game going down the stretch and in OT the other night?

Dajuan’s one assist throughout all that was after Och swished a guarded 26 footer on a broken half court play.

Maybe it’s a Dajuan stamina thing?
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:46 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:43 am Only Qusdahl can turn this place into a bunch of Harris apologists.

Harris is, without question, the soft spot on this team. The comparison to Tharpe is fair.
The soft spots are the 1 and 5 spots on offense, and that gets really tricky in the half court offense.
Sure, but at least Dave (even bad, snowflake Dave) draws a defender
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Snowflake Dave might even draw 2 or 3+ defenders.

Not that he’ll notice.

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Qusdahl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:47 am

This team’s ceiling is in transition, if they’re able to turn a game into a track meet.

But - are we really doing that, at least yet? How often do we really score an easy transition bucket?

IS Harris loads better in transition? Is there a fast break points stat for this team?

And while I agree that Harris brings the intangibles, I also don’t know if I’ve ever seen a D1 guard who was less of a threat to score.

Like for real how can a guy drive the lane and be looking everywhere but the rim!
?

We've been getting out in transition all season. Latest example was . . . Monday night when transition buckets built the lead that we eventually blew. It is a big reason why CB's numbers are so much better this year as he is a killer in transition. Och too as he gets some of his best 3 point looks in transition. We are playing the fastest pace of the Bill Self era, even faster than 2018 (last I checked).

Of course, that's even more reason to play Remy, but Dajuan does fine on the break because of his vision and the fact that he will get the ball down the court quickly.
So maybe the question is, why weren’t we able to keep the transition game going down the stretch and in OT the other night?

Dajuan’s one assist throughout all that was after Och swished a guarded 26 footer on a broken half court play.

Remy should have had some run against Tech down the stretch, no question. I think the goalposts are being moved a little here. And yes, I do think fatigue is a factor for DaJuan, more so on defense, because we don't need to worry about his legs affecting his jump shot.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:47 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:43 am Only Qusdahl can turn this place into a bunch of Harris apologists.

Harris is, without question, the soft spot on this team. The comparison to Tharpe is fair.
The soft spots are the 1 and 5 spots on offense, and that gets really tricky in the half court offense.
Sure, but at least Dave (even bad, snowflake Dave) draws a defender
Good point.

And my latest Dajuan gripe is that teams are figuring out he is driving to pass and are starting to force him into tough layups.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Actually, Harris's points per 40 is 235th in the Self era at 7.2.
That's Brad Witherspoon and Matt Kleinmann territory.
No player with over 20 mpg has ever averaged a score that low.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:48 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:21 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:10 am

Pairing 2 all star starters with Naadir Tharpe is one of Self's all-time blunders.

He has come a long way, but we are in for an interesting February.
The Calipari way hasn't worked better than the Self way.

Everyone wants the Cal way until you're watching your team in the NIT.
He has more tourney wins and more Final Fours. It has worked better when it has worked but it has been more volatile. Kentucky has been higher peaks and lower valleys while Kansas has been more consistently good.
1 national title each. So the peaks haven't been higher.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So essentially Harris is the lowest scoring scholarship player in the Self era.

I stick up for Harris for 10 minutes and that grim fact gets rightfully thrown in my face.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Actually, the 5 is averaging more points than the 4 at a higher FG%.
And is 3rd in PP40, only slightly behind Braun.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Yeah, Dajuan needs to at least appear like he’s trying to go to the rim when he drives

Deleted User 863

The only way to "play in transition" is to get stops/steals/blocks. You can't get out in transition if the other team is scoring. Or if you need 4 or 5 guys to crash the defensive glass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:55 am So essentially Harris is the lowest scoring scholarship player in the Self era.

I stick up for Harris for 10 minutes and that grim fact gets rightfully thrown in my face.
Did Justin Wesley get a scholly in his last year or two?
Because if so, Wesley has Harris beat.
So does Moulaye Niang and Gethro Muscadin.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:59 am

The only way to "play in transition" is to get stops/steals/blocks. You can't get out in transition if the other team is scoring. Or if you need 4 or 5 guys to crash the defensive glass.
True. But, this team should actually try and run on some made shots because of how good Och and CB are plus Jalen and Remy's speed. And, they have at times.

We've seen scoring droughts and 2 or 3 of them were egregious. Can't allow that to happen.
Deleted User 863

I consider the soft spot the PG position for sure. Not just DH though. Remy has been a disappointment. He's not as good as we hoped. He can't even beat out DH which shouldn't be that hard.

Unfortunately I don't think our PG issues can be fixed this season by any of the 4 smalls we have. We will get our next Frank Graham Dot etc type PG on the recruiting trail. Likely soon.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:37 am
Mjl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:31 am Tharpe was also on a team that didn't need him to score. That's the difference. His dumb plays didn't always show up on the stats sheet, the same way Juan's hockey assists don't show up on the stat sheet, or half the possesion-saving plays he makes.

Dumb plays are really bad when you're an undertalented point guard with talent around you. Harris is light years better than Naadir for a talented team. But it won't show on the stat sheet.
How is that a difference? Kansas doesn't need Harris to score either. Tharpe was the 5th leading scorer his junior year; Harris is 6th this year. Their "needs" are pretty identical.

To me, the difference is that this is Harris' 2nd year playing that is being compared to Tharpe's 3rd year playing. If this year's Kansas team had next year's version of Harris playing then I think they would be much more consistent and not have as many scoring droughts.
I worded that poorly. My point was they, as you say, are in the same role. The difference is that Harris is handling that role decently most of the time, whereas Naadir did not.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Harris's inconsistency is the common thread in scoring droughts. We have seen flashes. But lots more cold fronts. The five on four tech defense was a wake-up call.
Deleted User 863

Qusdahl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:47 am

?

Your analysis is piss poor. Almost as bad as your hot take attempts at overly simplified explanations for our troubles with things like "CB makes us have a low ceiling" and "maybe we didn't get out in transition because DH has bad stamina".

Maybe we didn't get out in transition because they had 2 guards going nuts on us from 3 (from everywhere really)? You can't get out in transition when the other team scores. Especially when they only send 1 player max to crash the offensive glass.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:06 amThe five on four tech defense was a wake-up call.
We all knew that was coming. Even DaJuan's dad, mjl, knew that would start in conference play.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dajuan I am your father.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I just feel bad that mjl kicked Yesufu out of the family to adopt Juan, and poor Joe got scooped up by randy.