Marcus

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Marcus

Post by ousdahl »

yeah Thompson and Braun in a pinch, but I foresee them getting even fewer reps at PG than Graham did in 2017.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We should be getting more run for preseason #1.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

"Kansas looses their All-Americans in Dotson and Azubuike, but still return a loaded roster. Reigning defensive POY Marcus Garrett is a senior with a natural ability to run point, and their frontcourt is also stacked with upperclassmen in McCormack, De Sousa, and Lightfoot. Add 5-star recruit Bryce Thompson to a multitude of options on the wing, and the Jayhawks look like the team to beat once again in 2021..."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just look to the all important road game v Oklahoma.
Marcus Garrett - 15 PTS, 5 REB, 5 AST, 1 TO, 38 MIN.

Garrett can do it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

more than just the stat line, he just looked like he belonged.

played in control and set the tone for a NBD double digit road win.

We've had starting point guards who struggle with as much, let alone a backup just moonlighting in a pinch...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I tend to think that prior to the OU game Bill wasn't sure if he was going to put Thompson on the ball or look for another ballhandler.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Garrett will ( and was ) do a better job getting the ball into David than Dot did.
McCormack will average double digits.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 am I tend to think that prior to the OU game Bill wasn't sure if he was going to put Thompson on the ball or look for another ballhandler.
Yeah, maybe.

After the OU game it did seem like Garrett was on the ball more
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:31 amlet alone a backup just moonlighting in a pinch...
I really think that's where playing PG in HS and AAU helps. Garrett is comfortable in that role. Braun and Thompson have the same background. Devonte' fits here, too.

Guys like Selby and Newman were PG in name only.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 am I tend to think that prior to the OU game Bill wasn't sure if he was going to put Thompson on the ball or look for another ballhandler.
Yeah, maybe.

After the OU game it did seem like Garrett was on the ball more
I don't think the staff knew how much improved Udoka was. And, yes, Garrett for that matter. Once they figured it out, the best game plan was pretty simple: get one of the ballhandlers an inch and put the ball on the rim. Not close to the best or prettiest offense you'll ever see, but effective enough.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

8th in Kenpom AdjO which compares well to some of our best seasons.
( our best being 2008 and 2010, 2nd adj O )
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

did anyone think or foresee this team being MG’s when he was a frosh?

i didn’t...liked the kid, sure, but didn’t think he’d ever be “the face” of a team when he first arrived on campus
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is one area where i'll agree with MICHHAWK.
Seniors are the best.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 am did anyone think or foresee this team being MG’s when he was a frosh?

i didn’t...liked the kid, sure, but didn’t think he’d ever be “the face” of a team when he first arrived on campus
It's a combination of teacher-pupil. Bill might be the best at pulling amazing things out of players. It's unbelievable. But, the player really has to buy-in. It's no secret that Bill has a man-crush on Marcus.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm It's no secret that Bill has a man-crush on Marcus.
I'm not far behind. Love the way he plays and the energy he always brings. He's as smooth as someone who struggles to score from outside 5 feet can be.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:45 am but back to Marcus, and assuming Dotson hates amateurism even more than pdub...

What's the scoop on Dajuan? Will he be ready go to? Cuz if not, I can only imagine Marcus may the next pg to play 40 minutes a night. And can Dajuan play some off the ball too? either way multiple pg lineups are good.

it's pretty much something like:

pg: Marcus, Dajuan

Big: DMac, Silvio, Mitch

then a plethora of potential lineups in between at the 2-4.

I wonder if, say, Tristan and Jalen will ever be on the floor at the same time...
Dajuan should be able to give us 5-10 minutes backing up garrett. I've heard only good things since he got to lawrence. And I agree with this except I'm hoping Mitch's minutes can come at the 4. emergency option at center. His shooting was decent already. I imagine it improved with the redshirt year. the key will be if his defensive footwork and ability to guard the perimeter improved
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I thought from day one that MG was going to finish out as one of my favorite all time Jayhawks.

Dude just flat brings it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Jared Butler stays, we're going to have another race.
WVU and Tech will also be really good.
Oscar Tshiebwe will be a contender for B12POY.

Race between Ramsey from Tech, Tshiebwe and Garrett.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if Marcus ends up a conference POY candidate, that means his shooting will have considerably improved...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Another Marcus won in 13 shooting 40% from the field and 29% from 3.

You could see a scenario where Garrett gets Smart's numbers:
15.4 PPG ( probably lower ), 5.8 RPG, 4.2 APG ( probably higher ), 3 SPG.
And then his defense improves -- and he already won a NDPOY award this season.