3 point offense

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 3 point offense

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We gotta stop digging first half holes with stupid f’n offensive philosophy.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 pm We gotta stop digging first half holes with stupid f’n offensive philosophy.
Yep
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You mean like forcing the post against triple teams instead of getting shooters shots?

Glad someone besides me finally bumped this thread
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 pm We gotta stop digging first half holes with stupid f’n offensive philosophy.
Amen. Start small. Finish big.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm
Yep
I was very annoyed to see Bill’s platitudes about “I thought our guys looked really good in the second half,” and so on.

You don’t get credit for having a gun for the second half of a gun fight you opened with a knife.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I've been very, very critical of Self's coaching in the past. He has won a ton of games by doing what he does best but this year falls completely in his lap. We were all led to believe his two best players were going to carry this team similar to Doke and Dot. Well the problem is that both of them, and I hate to be critical of Jayhawks are nothing more than average role players. By now we have seen enough to know the strength of this team long term is not to try and run the offense through Dave. Sure, he can look great against mid and average level teams but against the Baylor, Texas and Zags of the world he just is over matched physically and athletically.

Perhaps that is just the way this year will go. We aren't going to win the regular season and damn sure aren't going to a F4. This is a team that will beat the average and bad teams and lose in similar fashion the elite ones. We will get a 4 or 5 seed and bow out in the sweet 16. One year is fine but this had better not become a trend.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well we’re 1 season removed from being the clear best team in the country and you can see a path where we’re again the best team in the country in another year.

We could list dozens of worse teams with worse coaches that have made a F4. I don’t care about the regular season stuff, but that’s already over (and really could not even be awarded this season).

But, yes, a lot of this falls on the staff, and sticking to their misplaced hope in DMac and MG. Change things up so we can score easier and some good things can still happen this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We finished no. 1 overall and were the overwhelming favorites in the NCAA tourney until MICH's fungus hit.

I don't think we can think it will become a trend.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CnB beat me to it.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

And I should have prefaced that by saying this team has the chance to be special next year because a core group of Wilson, Och and CB could be very good.

This year is a wash. We all know Self isn't going to pull MG off the ball and won't stop force feeding the ball to D-Mac.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 amThis year is a wash. We all know Self isn't going to pull MG off the ball and won't stop force feeding the ball to D-Mac.
I really hope you’re wrong because we’re on the verge of becoming the double sin as a spectator team: not a great team AND boring to watch.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 am And I should have prefaced that by saying this team has the chance to be special next year because a core group of Wilson, Och and CB could be very good.

This year is a wash. We all know Self isn't going to pull MG off the ball and won't stop force feeding the ball to D-Mac.
I think Self has shown a lot of adaptation the last several years. And I know he’s a red-ass about getting punked by Drew and Shaka.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 am Well we’re 1 season removed from being the clear best team in the country and you can see a path where we’re again the best team in the country in another year.
I was thinking about this. How many players NCAA-wide (who aren't entering the NBA draft) will leave. What will most of the seniors do? Stick around another year, or leave? There could be a lot of teams, way more than normal, that don't really loose anyone.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 am Well we’re 1 season removed from being the clear best team in the country and you can see a path where we’re again the best team in the country in another year.
I was thinking about this. How many players NCAA-wide (who aren't entering the NBA draft) will leave. What will most of the seniors do? Stick around another year, or leave? There could be a lot of teams, way more than normal, that don't really loose anyone.
Very true globally. I was thinking about the teams that have beat us so far. All gone are Kispert, Suggs; Greg Brown; Jared Butler; Cade Cunningham.

Baylor could be really good again if Teague and Vital come back for covid encores.

We get Mitch back.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am
Somewhat-related: holy shit, do we need Thompson to be good. He wasn't Grimes-level-mayonnaise in the minutes he got, but we need firepower.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Thompson looked great against Zaga then something happened to his jump shot. A couple of games after Zaga he was wide open for a three and missed it by a mile. His form and mechanics looked terrible. Not sure what is going with that minus the injuries. Its hard to blame a kid who is just a freshman and has had really bad luck getting on the court. Overall he has been a huge disappointment considering the five star hype around him.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And Tyon Grant Foster has done even worse than Thompson.
Some thought he could start.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The noncon was really fucked up.

We are usually trying to see if either Thompson, Enaruna, or TGF are going to be our #6 guy, but instead we had a short noncon against mostly tough teams all while trying to get limping DMac and MG up and running.

We also rode the Jalen Wilson hot hand. That has also fizzled and we have to get him going again.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Eventually we are going to need to start getting some top 20-30 guys with more regularity (even better the ones who stick around for 2 or 3 years) Can't always expect to find and cultivate Masons and Grahams.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am Eventually we are going to need to start getting some top 20-30 guys with more regularity (even better the ones who stick around for 2 or 3 years) Can't always expect to find and cultivate Masons and Grahams.
I don't think it's coincidental that this year and the last shit year both had 5* backcourt guys who did nothing interesting.