This team...

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: This team...

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawk23 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:31 pm DMac is too inconsistent. No inside presence. The defense is not NEARLY as good. As far as Och and Braun...they are set shooters. They don't move with the ball and shoot with good percentages.
Most shooters are set shooters. Your offense and PG have to get them the ball.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Here’s a friendly reminder that this is that time of year we always play like shit.

But it’s the tail end of that time of year. Time for some tweaks.

Has anyone started that thread yet?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Like for real this is that time of year even that natty team lost to super cool Beas.
jhawk23

Post by jhawk23 »

Brown...a dribble or 2 and hit it...Pierce...on the move. Even Mason and Graham moved with the ball. I could mention more.

As far as I'll beat you here, there, and everywhere how did that turn out? You have to have a well coached team.

To get away...from that thought...I think Self is out...moving on. Pop retires and he slides in.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

no
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Self still standing by McCormack as our best offensive player... yikes.

https://twitter.com/sam_vecenie/status/ ... 46147?s=21
Last edited by sdoyel on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm Like for real this is that time of year even that natty team lost to super cool Beas.
Normally its mid February
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mid February reminds me of of my birthday, and that time Mario dropped 23 on Iowa state then I saw him that night at Abe and Jake’s and it was my birthday.

Whoa dude, what’s up Mario!

“Sup”

Dude you dropped 23 on isu today hell yeah high 5!

*high 5*

Dude Mario, it’s my birthday!

“Happy birthday dude”

*another high 5 handshake thing*

Anywho so me and Mario is pretty much BFFs
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

he invites me to him and DWade’s parties and shit.

Homie told me to call him “Dwyane.”

Lebron wasn’t invited.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

KU is dead last in the Big 12 in tempo. To me that’s a sign of this team’s hesitation on the offensive end to shoot the basketball.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Jayhawkerr

Post by Jayhawkerr »

The fraudulent NCAA investigation hanging over the program has hurt recruiting IMO and it’s showing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ochai is clearly our best offensive player. Jalen at his peak is also better but hes struggling now with conference play.

Sam Veceine mimicks several on the bored. The hate for DMac is at some seriously weird levels. He was averaging 20 in the last 3 and gets in foul trouble in this one and cant contribute and we get blown out. Also Sam, DMac is a good passer. And i'm not a fan of eFG% - a 3 point shot gets you 3 points - which adds to your PPG - it's why it's shot at a lower % - but if you want to bring metrics into the conversation: in conference play, McCormack is leading us in PER ( better metric imo than eFG ) and is 2nd behind Ochai in Offense Rating.

I think Self sees the best this team will be is if DMac can play like he did the last 3 and Braun and Ochai can play like they did last night. And I'm sure hes tired of couch coaches telling him "you gotta go small ball!". Garrett however, just may not be the guy we thought he would. I'd add our recruiting class is a complete non factor.

This team can still be a top team. No we ain't a top 5 like Baylor and Gonzaga. I think we can beat Texas. We may end up 3rd in the B12 even. But that's because the B12 is the best conference in the nation and we just dont have an elite team like last year.

This team beats 19 and 15.
05 is better than people think-Bucknell is all people remember.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jhawk23 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:45 pm I think Self is out...moving on. Pop retires and he slides in.
Just don't think that is realistic at this point anymore. It's 100% based on the RC Burford friendship and nothing else.

If they go the college coach route, it would likely be Jay Wright.

If they promote someone from within most likely it'll be Becky Hammon.

The Spurs are a top notch organization. They will have their pick of just about any current or former nba coach.

If RC Buford was in charge of the Grizzlies or Cavs or some other crappy team then maybe I'd believe he would just hire his buddy, but that's not happening with the Spurs.
Deleted User 863

Jayhawkerr wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:00 am The fraudulent NCAA investigation hanging over the program has hurt recruiting IMO and it’s showing.
Absolutely the possibility of punishment from that is hurting. (Won't touch whether it's "fraudulent" or not)

What is also possibly hurting recruiting is that adidas can't comfortably help steer recruits to Kansas after getting caught in the FBI investigation.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

does anyone hate DMac?

i don’t. i hate the decisions he makes quite often, but still like him and think he’s a good player. he isn’t a star, but i have a sneaking suspicion that he thinks he is, and so doesn’t play within himself. too many of his turnovers come from him trying to do too much
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think a lot of the finger pointing is going to him - he misses two shots and it's time to pull him and play Enaruna.
Rather than the other starters like Wilson, who has shot 42% in conference play and is turning it over almost 3 times per game, Braun 40% and Garrett, 25% from 3, 4 APG/2.2 TO/PG, and really isn't smothering people on defense.
Deleted User 863

There are so many "pull him" comments by our fans. To dave. Braun. Wilson. Mg.

If we did it we'd have teahan jossell and jethro out there.

You can't bench someone and replace them with someone worse and think progress has been made.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The problem is in exchange for the good things we get from David (some post scoring), we give up too much more (ball movement, spacing, shooting). And he doesn’t make up for it on the other end.

What I see in this year’s team is just a bunch of miscast guys. Och should be a great #3 option or a strong #2, not a guy you need to rely on. Push those numbers back by one for Braun.

As the primary ballhandler, Garrett hasn’t been able to get by people as well as he could when getting the ball off the catch or by handoff. This is because defenders can comfortably play ten feet off of him, without consequence.

It’s drawing board time for Bill. There are pieces here for a team that will have as good a shot as any (outside of Baylor and Gonzaga) to get to the Final Four, but the way we’re using them now ain’t it.
Deleted User 863

There are going to be exchanges of good with bad for everyone on the roster behind DMac. DMac is likely the closest to a net positive when thinking about where and to who his hypothetical reduced minutes would go.

Can't play TGF apparently. He's been awful.

More Mitch comes with drawbacks too.

Lots of talk about Harris, but he makes plenty of stupid mistakes too. I also noticed MG and Och having to direct him on the floor multiple times last night becuase he didn't know where he was supposed to be/go....and he can't shoot much(any?) better than MG. I do think he should play (he has to anyway), but benching MG for him probably isn't a net gain. MG is still an elite defender just not nearly as good as he was off the ball or guarding 3s and 4s like in years past.

Wilson Ochai and Braun are our only really solid guys that don't have glaring weaknesses, and even they're not perfect by any means.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Wilson doesn’t have glaring weaknesses?

lol, ok

this team still lacks a leader. MG, as our lead guard isn’t doing enough. he put DMac in some bad spots last night that resulted in turnovers, feeding him in the middle of 3 defenders.

i’ll say it again...a bunch of good role players, but no stars