OFFICIAL FINAL FOUR THREAD

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: OFFICIAL FINAL FOUR THREAD

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:24 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:24 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:52 am

Whatever you need to tell yourself to make you feel superior. It's a complete lie.
Why would I feel superior? I didn't do anything. Our players are the ones who should feel proud.
It's just weird how much passive aggressive energy you are putting towards trying to call people out for thinking the team couldn't make a Final Four is all. And yes, our players should be tremendously proud of their play in this tourney. They have come through when it matters most and will get to see at the very least another Final Four banner hung in the rafters to commemorate their hard work.
Except there is no passive aggressive intent or tone to any of my comments. I said what I said. And I didn't direct it at anyone specifically. But if the shoe fits...
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you congratulating the young people, then getting mugged for it, is really bizarre.
Deleted User 863

Nbd. Glad we get to argue about basketball for another week.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:11 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:02 pm I maybe hope Dave gets his wheel all healed-up and comes back for his Super Senior year, though I'm fairly sure that won't happen.
Not sure that there is a better option out there for Dave than returning. He will have a good overseas career--maybe he wants to get that started.
It's easy to armchair this sort of thing, but there are real business decisions to be made here, even (especially?) if Dave is resigned to being a sub-NBA guy. He only has so many years to earn.

Now...jfish puts jfish hat on...this is precisely the sort of scenario in which NIL might tip the scales toward staying and being an AA-level guy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:25 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:02 pm I maybe hope Dave gets his wheel all healed-up and comes back for his Super Senior year, though I'm fairly sure that won't happen.
Not sure that there is a better option out there for Dave than returning. He will have a good overseas career--maybe he wants to get that started.
Who knows. He would likely be a better option than anyone else we will have on the roster. I'd be fine if he came back but I would also be surprised.
Just curious as to why? Returning to KU sounds like a great option for him, especially now that NIL is in play.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:39 pm
It's easy to armchair this sort of thing, but there are real business decisions to be made here, even (especially?) if Dave is resigned to being a sub-NBA guy. He only has so many years to earn.

Now...jfish puts jfish hat on...this is precisely the sort of scenario in which NIL might tip the scales toward staying and being an AA-level guy.
Right, leaving to start that career early seems to be the big enticement to leave. And I do think that Dave can last a long time overseas because of his size and athleticism. Overseas teams, especially Asian ones, will always sign that one tall athletic foreign player.

While I'm not sure that 1st team AA is really on the table--I think we can see what he is after 4 years--It's my opinion that one last season at KU certainly sounds like more fun than overseas. If NIL helps, then all the better, keep them in college basketball.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:53 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:12 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:06 amThey questioned whether we could make final fours or win national championships with those guys.
That's just not true.
It absolutely is.
Maybe if i'm light i'll dig up some comments Illy might be referencing.
Super fun.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:46 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:39 pm

Right, leaving to start that career early seems to be the big enticement to leave. And I do think that Dave can last a long time overseas because of his size and athleticism. Overseas teams, especially Asian ones, will always sign that one tall athletic foreign player.

While I'm not sure that 1st team AA is really on the table--I think we can see what he is after 4 years--It's my opinion that one last season at KU certainly sounds like more fun than overseas. If NIL helps, then all the better, keep them in college basketball.
I think lower-tier AA is within the realm of possibility. But splitting hairs here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:33 pm you congratulating the young people, then getting mugged for it, is really bizarre.
That isn't the part he is getting mugged for.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:41 pm

Who knows. He would likely be a better option than anyone else we will have on the roster. I'd be fine if he came back but I would also be surprised.
Just curious as to why? Returning to KU sounds like a great option for him, especially now that NIL is in play.
1) He has his degree
2) He gave a senior night speech
3) Another year at Kansas isn't going to get him closer to any pro hoops career so he might as well get started on the journey now a la Wayne Selden leaving with eligibility remaining despite not being an NBA guy at the time. For the record, I have no clue if Dave even wants to play pro hoops or has a different career in mind entirely.

Like I said, I'd be perfectly fine with him coming back. He's likely the best option we have given his experience and the inexperience of who will be behind him.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:50 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:33 pm you congratulating the young people, then getting mugged for it, is really bizarre.
No need to rehash. Either take a position or don't. I think we have several players on our team who proved doubters wrong (DH Dave and Mitch specifically) the last 2 weekends (tbh the last 3-4 weeks entirely). I think Remy has also silenced his doubters as well as justified a little bit of the preseason hype.

Just a whole lot of good being done to some very likeable guys legacies at KU. Not a controversial topic at all.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:54 pm
1) He has his degree
3) Another year at Kansas isn't going to get him closer to any pro hoops career so he might as well get started on the journey now a la Wayne Selden leaving with eligibility remaining despite not being an NBA guy at the time. For the record, I have no clue if Dave even wants to play pro hoops or has a different career in mind entirely.

Like I said, I'd be perfectly fine with him coming back. He's likely the best option we have given his experience and the inexperience of who will be behind him.
To your last point...the wild card here is the transfer portal. Dave does a lot of nice things, but they don't fit well into what we like to do. One possibility of course is that Bill finds someone experienced, who does fit in.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

1) He has his degree

I agree on 3. I don't think 1 or 2 have any bearing. Especially when he said before his speech that it did not mean that he was not considering coming back next season. Enroll him in a ballroom dancing class next year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:58 pm

1) He has his degree

To your last point...the wild card here is the transfer portal. Dave does a lot of nice things, but they don't fit well into what we like to do. One possibility of course is that Bill finds someone experienced, who does fit in.
I don't think Dave is going to find a coach that believes in him more than Bill does.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:56 pm
No need to rehash. Either take a position or don't. I think we have several players on our team who proved doubters wrong (DH Dave and Mitch specifically) the last 2 weekends (tbh the last 3-4 weeks entirely). I think Remy has also silenced his doubters as well as justified a little bit of the preseason hype.

Just a whole lot of good being done to some very likeable guys legacies at KU. Not a controversial topic at all.
I took a position and have stated it several times. The team that is playing right now is not the team that the people you are referencing were referring to. That team did not have Remy playing at this level. It likely didn't have Remy playing at all. If he was playing at this level at that time, very few people would have been doubting their ability to make a Final Four.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 pm
1) He has his degree

I don't think Dave is going to find a coach that believes in him more than Bill does.
Timely.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

1) He has his degree

As Remy has proven, there is no guarantee that a transfer will fit in. It's a roll of the dice. If he leaves and we go with what we have or grab someone out of the portal, I am happy. If he comes back, I am happy. Win-win.

As I stated before, I am really happy that DMac has closed out the season the way he has. He came up huge for KU in several key games and that will be the part of his career I look back on most favorably. I'll still chuckle about his oven mitt hands and his propensity to not just take the damn ball up but he has been a key cog in a Final Four team who has overcome his own limitations to succeed.

First world problems though.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 pm I don't think Dave is going to find a coach that believes in him more than Bill does.
If this means you don't think he'd get as much clock as he could handle on 85-90% of NCAABB teams, then you are incorrect. If he can start and play major minutes on a top 5 team, he could no issue do the same almost anywhere else, with an even greater role.

If it just means how much Bill cares about the dude, then you correct.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:06 pm
1) He has his degree

As Remy has proven, there is no guarantee that a transfer will fit in. It's a roll of the dice. If he leaves and we go with what we have or grab someone out of the portal, I am happy. If he comes back, I am happy. Win-win.

As I stated before, I am really happy that DMac has closed out the season the way he has. He came up huge for KU in several key games and that will be the part of his career I look back on most favorably. I'll still chuckle about his oven mitt hands and his propensity to not just take the damn ball up but he has been a key cog in a Final Four team who has overcome his own limitations to succeed.

First world problems though.
What has Remy proven? I thought he has fit in very well. Even before his injury, while Och and CB were crushing the non-con, he was a very, very good 3rd (at worst) option. Getting hurt doesn't mean he wasn't fitting in.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:01 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:56 pm

I took a position and have stated it several times. The team that is playing right now is not the team that the people you are referencing were referring to. That team did not have Remy playing at this level. It likely didn't have Remy playing at all. If he was playing at this level at that time, very few people would have been doubting their ability to make a Final Four.
We will never know...all we do know is what "did" happen and what "was" said.

Remy has little impact on what is/was said about DH Mitch and Dave. We play 7 guys. Self calls them the 7 starters.

I love that this team is a "team" in a true sense. They all need each other. Better together than they are individually.