KU (+3) @ Tech

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: KU (+3) @ Tech

Post by AlOerter »

Another grind it out W. They know they can win when it's close.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tech has a top 15 defense, per usual, but we still didn’t play well and missed a number of open shots.

Still won on the road.
We good.

Doesn’t get much easier with WVU next week. B12 title this year going to be a dogfight.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Always good to win a game like this. But Tech seems to live by whistles. Really pleased to see KU hitting the FTs it got.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Can DMac cut it out with the finesse ball fadeaway bullshit?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:24 pm CB labored all game, but always finds ways to contribute.

That’s what guys like DMac.
Someone failed to watch the game.
DMac struggled on offense again but not nearly as much as Braun...but did a lot of good things on defense and drew Techs defense in.

Bilas saw it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 pm Tech has a top 15 defense, per usual, but we still didn’t play well and missed a number of open shots.

Still won on the road.
We good.

Doesn’t get much easier with WVU next week. B12 title this year going to be a dogfight.
I thought the talk that the BiG is a better league this year was BS. The 12 would win the top four spots. IMHO
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:09 pm But also, the refs sucked in this one, amiright?
Very much so, yes. What's funny is that there are no doubt Texas Tech fans bitching about the refs giving KU the win because the fans of the team that loses a close game ALWAYS say that.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

The refs say they don't like the flop yet they always buy it. It seems like they should be able get it the block/charge right more than 50% of the time but I'm still waiting for it to happen.

Thompson looked a little sped up tonight. TGF could be a lock down defender once he gets a little more comfortable with his role.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:40 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:24 pm CB labored all game, but always finds ways to contribute.

That’s what guys like DMac.
Someone failed to watch the game.
DMac struggled on offense again but not nearly as much as Braun...but did a lot of good things on defense and drew Techs defense in.

Bilas saw it.
DMac definitely had more good plays today than he has in previous games but he still had a big pile of bad ones. Hopefully he will continue to increase the stack of good ones and decrease the stack of bad ones. It's definitely going to be a gradual process. There aren't many games left this year against easy match ups for him.

We hoped DMac was gonna be a contender for All Big 12 by his junior season but he just isn't there yet. I am still rooting for him to get there. Seems like a good kid who is unquestionably trying hard out there. Another example of just how hard it is to play college hoops at an elite level.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

McClung didn’t score a FG the final 19+ minutes.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:39 pm Can DMac cut it out with the finesse ball fadeaway bullshit?
No, not yet at least. If I were Bill, I’d say no more than one or two a game, and if you make them both you can shoot it again. Damn they drive me crazy.

We didn’t play that well(tech/beard is good at making other people play poorly), and we still won on the road against a top 15 team. Great win. I look forward to our next to games
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thompson’s three point shot looks weirder as the season goes on.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:43 am Thompson’s three point shot looks weirder as the season goes on.
He was a little rushed out there last night. No doubt he is at that "man, I gotta make something happen" point in his freshman campaign.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PortlandHawk wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:53 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:39 pm Can DMac cut it out with the finesse ball fadeaway bullshit?
No, not yet at least. If I were Bill, I’d say no more than one or two a game, and if you make them both you can shoot it again. Damn they drive me crazy.

We didn’t play that well(tech/beard is good at making other people play poorly), and we still won on the road against a top 15 team. Great win. I look forward to our next to games
yeah, I guess we shouldn't give up yet. we've seen him make them in previous seasons.

but heck, I'm not sure he's made one yet this season.

If we're gonna give Dave looks to score (and we should), I just wish we could try to get the ball to him in spots he can make a strong move going toward the basket, not a soft move going away from it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't care if he's hit ten of them in a row. If the eleventh would be in the game situation of his last shot last night, he needs to pass it out.

He's a liability on offense not because he can't do good things, but because he just cannot help himself from getting a shot up. It makes him unplayable in close/late settings.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You can live with that shot with 7 seconds left on shot clock in the beginning to middle of the game.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

But two areas where Bill had the wrong people on the floor at the end of the First Half and Second. That Braun hustle play saved the day. Dave has to know he is out there for rebounds and putbacks only there. And Garrett. Undefended until he drives.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

David in the game isn’t as big of an issue for me as forcing the ball and offense through him. Giving him the ball on the block is just not a successful play right now. I bet something good happens only about 25% of the time when that happens.

He’s big and really athletic, actually. That can be useful.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

x100000000
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:35 am

yeah, I guess we shouldn't give up yet. we've seen him make them in previous seasons.

but heck, I'm not sure he's made one yet this season.

If we're gonna give Dave looks to score (and we should), I just wish we could try to get the ball to him in spots he can make a strong move going toward the basket, not a soft move going away from it.
part of that is on him once he gets the ball

he needs to make his move MUCH quicker. the fade-away in the midst of a double team makes me wanna grow something at the tv