Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno bro, you can't even protest in the US without fear of being arrested or killed.

and, if we're gonna offer these protests as an argument that Israel is some sorta shining example of middle eastern "freedom and democracy," let's also not miss the irony of the "judicial reforms" (read: proposals to limit the power of the Israeli court system...coincidentally as Netanyahu faces corruption charges)

also worth considering: among those protestors, how many are Palestinian?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but if we REALLY wanna get more to the point of "why the US supports Israel..."

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-02-18/
AMMAN, Feb 19 (Reuters) - An Israeli rocket strike early on Sunday hit a building in central Damascus, killing five people and damaging several buildings in the densely populated district, witnesses and officials said.

The strike hit near a security complex around which Syria's ally Iran has installed bases, two intelligence sources said.

An Israeli military spokesperson declined to comment.

Citing a Syrian military source, state media said Israel had carried out air strikes targeting several areas of Damascus l shortly after midnight, causing five deaths and 15 injuries among civilians.

"It caused damage to several civilian homes and material damage to a number of neighbourhoods in Damascus and its vicinity," the Syrian army said in a statement.

Syrian foreign minister Faisal Mekdad said the strike should be considered a "crime against humanity" given it took place less than two weeks after the Feb. 6 earthquake that left more than 5,800 dead across the country.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

What's the largest Arab democracy -- as measured by # of Arabs who can and do vote?

Wanna guess?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:04 pm but if we REALLY wanna get more to the point of "why the US supports Israel..."

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-02-18/
AMMAN, Feb 19 (Reuters) - An Israeli rocket strike early on Sunday hit a building in central Damascus, killing five people and damaging several buildings in the densely populated district, witnesses and officials said.

The strike hit near a security complex around which Syria's ally Iran has installed bases, two intelligence sources said.

An Israeli military spokesperson declined to comment.

Citing a Syrian military source, state media said Israel had carried out air strikes targeting several areas of Damascus l shortly after midnight, causing five deaths and 15 injuries among civilians.

"It caused damage to several civilian homes and material damage to a number of neighbourhoods in Damascus and its vicinity," the Syrian army said in a statement.

Syrian foreign minister Faisal Mekdad said the strike should be considered a "crime against humanity" given it took place less than two weeks after the Feb. 6 earthquake that left more than 5,800 dead across the country.
Oh.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh.

so like 19 civilian casualties in exchange for one unconfirmed terrorist kill. The world must be so much safer now!

and without irony, this all carried out AGAINST the "untold amounts of human suffering in Iraq and Syria," as if it's not yet another example in itself. Let's ask that global politics question that just doesn't get asked enough: how do the people of Iraq and Syria feel about it?

BTW - even by Qusdahl's standards, that unconfirmed-report-breaking tweeter account looks pretty propagandey.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Do you get out much?

I mean...you do know that Syria's problems have 1000 causes, none of which are Israel?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so Syria's problems have 1000 causes, none of which are Israel, wow!

Israel's not even part of Syria's problem of Israel bombing Syria? Musta been caused by someone else, huh.

I don't think it's your intent, but you actually might be putting together a compelling case toward the point of why the US supports Israel...
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

"Musta been caused by someone else, huh."

Well...yeah.

Also, I know I'm putting together a compelling case. Indeed, all it took was one post:
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:13 pm What's the largest Arab democracy -- as measured by # of Arabs who can and do vote?

Wanna guess?
The US supports Israel because it's the only normally functional democracy in the region, one which (mostly) respects civil and human rights, with close ties (cultural, political, and religious), and a (4000 year) history that supports our own civilizational goals and beliefs.

This isn't hard.

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that democracy’s cracks seem to be growing
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Yeah. You and henny penny see the sky falling everywhere.

I tend to think that five Knesset elections in four years show the vibrancy of Israeli democracy, but I know youse guys don't really associate democracy with elections much anymore.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if you say so
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Usually, yes.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

A. Milana Vayntrub is my favorite cell phone pitchman.

B. What could possibly be more interesting than Ousdahl's and Trad's totally well-thought-out and intellectually serious issues with Israel?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

who said i had an issue with Israel?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I was just guessing based on your previous two posts.

My bad.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:58 pm A. Milana Vayntrub is my favorite cell phone pitchman.

B. What could possibly be more interesting than Ousdahl's and Trad's totally well-thought-out and intellectually serious issues with Israel?
That's great, because in the remake on the Big Blue couch I see you in the part of the brunette who sits with a pillow behind her to keep from slouching. Ousdahl obviously is the blonde. The part of the perplexed and slightly bemused Saul would be Gutter of course. The obvious zit on his upper lip is feral. Unless of course the pustule is herpes. Then it is a composite of myself and randylahey.

Rehearsals start on July 30. Please be prompt.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:58 pm A. Milana Vayntrub is my favorite cell phone pitchman.

A. Yes, very much. And for entirely sexist reasons (super hot... I've always had a thing for Soviet Jewish women)
B. I think Trad's views on this subject are reasonable. Not sure what Ous is saying except when you quote him.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:49 pm "Musta been caused by someone else, huh."

Well...yeah.

Also, I know I'm putting together a compelling case. Indeed, all it took was one post:
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:13 pm What's the largest Arab democracy -- as measured by # of Arabs who can and do vote?

Wanna guess?
The US supports Israel because it's the only normally functional democracy in the region, one which (mostly) respects civil and human rights, with close ties (cultural, political, and religious), and a (4000 year) history that supports our own civilizational goals and beliefs.

This isn't hard.

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
They got a POTD feature around here?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:02 pm Yeah. You and henny penny see the sky falling everywhere.

I tend to think that five Knesset elections in four years show the vibrancy of Israeli democracy, but I know youse guys don't really associate democracy with elections much anymore.
Five Knesset elections in four years shows the weakness/fragility of the democracy as there is no one who can get/hold an electoral mandate. And extremely divided electorate. When was the last time someone served out their elected term? This would be akin to having a Presidential election every 10 months because the President was ousted for scandal or corruption or inability to govern.

If you are using the fact that they held an election as a measure of the strength of the democracy then you must love “democracies” under Putin and Saddam Hussein!!