OFFICIAL FINAL FOUR THREAD

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: OFFICIAL FINAL FOUR THREAD

Post by NDballer13 »

What did/did not happen and what was/was not said is irrelevant when you ignore the context surrounding the statements.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Winning cures all.

Happy the guys changed opinions and cemented a positive legacy. One of Self's best seasons imo.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:11 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:06 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:58 pm

To your last point...the wild card here is the transfer portal. Dave does a lot of nice things, but they don't fit well into what we like to do. One possibility of course is that Bill finds someone experienced, who does fit in.
As Remy has proven, there is no guarantee that a transfer will fit in. It's a roll of the dice. If he leaves and we go with what we have or grab someone out of the portal, I am happy. If he comes back, I am happy. Win-win.

As I stated before, I am really happy that DMac has closed out the season the way he has. He came up huge for KU in several key games and that will be the part of his career I look back on most favorably. I'll still chuckle about his oven mitt hands and his propensity to not just take the damn ball up but he has been a key cog in a Final Four team who has overcome his own limitations to succeed.

First world problems though.
What has Remy proven? I thought he has fit in very well. Even before his injury, while Och and CB were crushing the non-con, he was a very, very good 3rd (at worst) option. Getting hurt doesn't mean he wasn't fitting in.
He was a hot mess to start the season and didn't fit in the offense at all but it's not something I feel like arguing over for the next hour.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Remy’s D seems markedly improved, but who knows if that’s comfort, health, or literally just buying in and being committed on that end of the floor
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:22 pm Winning cures all.

Happy the guys changed opinions and cemented a positive legacy. One of Self's best seasons imo.
Definitely one of Self's better coaching jobs. And he seems to really enjoy this team which has been funny to watch.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:22 pm
As Remy has proven, there is no guarantee that a transfer will fit in. It's a roll of the dice. If he leaves and we go with what we have or grab someone out of the portal, I am happy. If he comes back, I am happy. Win-win.

As I stated before, I am really happy that DMac has closed out the season the way he has. He came up huge for KU in several key games and that will be the part of his career I look back on most favorably. I'll still chuckle about his oven mitt hands and his propensity to not just take the damn ball up but he has been a key cog in a Final Four team who has overcome his own limitations to succeed.

What has Remy proven? I thought he has fit in very well. Even before his injury, while Och and CB were crushing the non-con, he was a very, very good 3rd (at worst) option. Getting hurt doesn't mean he wasn't fitting in.
He was a hot mess to start the season and didn't fit in the offense at all but it's not something I feel like arguing over for the next hour.
You're not wrong. He was lost on offense. And defense may have been worse. He obviously needed time, which is not uncommon for our newcomers. Glad he kept a positive attitude and kept working hard. Also glad he's healthy again. Knee stuff sucks.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:05 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:58 pm

To your last point...the wild card here is the transfer portal. Dave does a lot of nice things, but they don't fit well into what we like to do. One possibility of course is that Bill finds someone experienced, who does fit in.
I don't think Dave is going to find a coach that believes in him more than Bill does.
Timely.

Not that he would or should have played over Dave, but that reminds me of this guy's finish to the season:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... dney-curry
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:22 pm

Numbers were pretty solid pre-injury, but no doubt that the injury mostly hurt him in the rep/comfort area.
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:24 pm Remy’s D seems markedly improved, but who knows if that’s comfort, health, or literally just buying in and being committed on that end of the floor
I think part of it is a better understanding of our defensive concepts. We play a very team oriented style of defense. That comes with time.

Glad he's got it figured out. He's been big time. On both ends of the court.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(was responding to CnB)

Fair enough, but a lot of 0s and 1s in the field I'm most interested in.
Last edited by jfish26 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:24 pm Remy’s D seems markedly improved, but who knows if that’s comfort, health, or literally just buying in and being committed on that end of the floor
Read the Athletic article on him. Was not a commitment issue but more the fact that it was a complete reprograming that needed time and reps. Injury halted that. It's a testament to all involved that we got to this point.

It's also interesting to note that, despite being labeled a big numbers guy on a bad team, ASU had never been to two straight tournaments prior to Remy. Ever. Were it not for COVID, they would have made 3 straight NCAA's.

https://theathletic.com/3206008/2022/03 ... et-better/
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:28 pm (was responding to CnB)

It's water under the bridge. The averages in Nov-Dec probably look about right if he were able to play healthy during conference.

And also highlights how bad 2021 was put together that we felt like we needed a guard to transfer in and score a lot right away. The better use of the one-year transfer is to add a single skillset--3's, rebounding, whatever.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:31 pm
Read the Athletic article on him. Was not a commitment issue but more the fact that it was a complete reprograming that needed time and reps. Injury halted that. It's a testament to all involved that we got to this point.

It's also interesting to note that, despite being labeled a big numbers guy on a bad team, ASU had never been to two straight tournaments prior to Remy. Ever. Were it not for COVID, they would have made 3 straight NCAA's.

https://theathletic.com/3206008/2022/03 ... et-better/
read as much as i could before getting paywalled, but thanks
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:36 pm

It's water under the bridge. The averages in Nov-Dec probably look about right if he were able to play healthy during conference.

And also highlights how bad 2021 was put together that we felt like we needed a guard to transfer in and score a lot right away. The better use of the one-year transfer is to add a single skillset--3's, rebounding, whatever.
(Curry blocked four shots all year. I want a guy back there who blocks four shots a game with some regularity.)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Remy played 10 games in Nov/Dec before getting hurt against NV. He scored in double figures in 8 of those. The two that he did not, he scored zero points--games we won by 27 and 26 points. Averaged 20.5 minutes in those.

Those 10 games including the goose eggs: 10.9 points; 3.2 assists; 4.1 rebs; 49.2% FG; 38.7 3P%; 27-34 FT's (79.4%)

That's a lot better than Marcus Carr's first 10 games, the other prized PG transfer.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:43 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:36 pm

(Curry blocked four shots all year. I want a guy back there who blocks four shots a game with some regularity.)
Cam Martin!
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:49 pm Remy played 10 games in Nov/Dec before getting hurt against NV. He scored in double figures in 8 of those. The two that he did not, he scored zero points--games we won by 27 and 26 points. Averaged 20.5 minutes in those.

Those 10 games including the goose eggs: 10.9 points; 3.2 assists; 4.1 rebs; 49.2% FG; 38.7 3P%; 27-34 FT's (79.4%)

That's a lot better than Marcus Carr's first 10 games, the other prized PG transfer.
He had decent numbers, but didn’t look great and seemed to make a lot of mistakes as if the game (or just his play) was too fast at the moment.

It’s not insignificant, either, that the longer than expected absence also helped him get better defensively, which has been obvious from the entire team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:56 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:49 pm Remy played 10 games in Nov/Dec before getting hurt against NV. He scored in double figures in 8 of those. The two that he did not, he scored zero points--games we won by 27 and 26 points. Averaged 20.5 minutes in those.

He had decent numbers, but didn’t look great and seemed to make a lot of mistakes as if the game (or just his play) was too fast at the moment.

It’s not insignificant, either, that the longer than expected absence also helped him get better defensively, which has been obvious from the entire team.
Agree. Just think his first 10 games, without changing a single thing, would be perceived way differently if he didn't have the setback in the middle of the season. He wasn't awful. He was average to good. The narrative coming into the season was about him meshing with a completely different style of team.
Deleted User 863