Remy's Knee Thread:

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Remy's Knee Thread:

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What I think is most worrisome about Harris offensively is that Tech seemed to have the right blueprint to completely neutralize him. It wasn't just sagging off of him, but when he would drive, they took away all his passing lanes and he'd have to go to his last resort: a tough layup over a taller player.

Maybe the only thing I am sure about is that we have to run and get out in transition, so you need both Remy and Harris to play. Harris's defense also deteriorates as his minutes increase, so the best solution with this roster is pretty simple.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:29 am "DH has not been our problem this year very often"

Though I like his consistency and effort, I would argue he is our biggest problem from being elite.
But in terms of our record/standings as is, no, he isn't our biggest problem.
Sure. We could use an elite PG.

Unfortunately Remy apparently isn't that guy. At least not yet. Maybe not ever. He isn't Frank Devonte Dot Ty Sherron etc. I'd argue Remy is closer to Naadir Tharpe level than he is to Devonte Graham level.

Remy got a bit overhyped in the offseason because he put up big numbers on a shitty team.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:14 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:34 am I do think mjl may have nailed it last night: Harris gets Russ Rob treatment, but when the big boy games start, Remy is the Sherron. Whoever starts is fine so long as Self and Remy are on the same page.

At least I sure hope so. I think everyone has to admit the team has looked like they might be plateauing with Harris and current rotation. Remy and KJ seem to be the guys we need to get going to give us that extra.
Agreed.
We haven't played a good, complete game since Big 12 play started--Remy got hurt the end of December. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

The overall resume looks good, but a closer look reveals that it is a win over Sparty in the first game, blow outs of bad noncon opponents, and a bunch of one possession games against the Big 12.

Of course, we're going to find out really quick with UK and Baylor on deck.
Agreed again. The next three games (UK, @ISU, BU) are huge for evaluating this teams ceiling. Kind of wish either the UK or BU game was on the road. Feels a little bit like this team is playing down to its competition to some degree. 4 of the last 5 games are wins by 1, 3, 3, 3 (2OT). I know the rankings and Kenpom (etc) love the Big 12 but I'm not convinced the ISU's and TTU's of the world are really elite teams. At least not elite enough to be home wins of 1 and 3.

What I'm starting to wonder is whether or not this team has a 2nd killer.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:31 am What I think is most worrisome about Harris offensively is that Tech seemed to have the right blueprint to completely neutralize him. It wasn't just sagging off of him, but when he would drive, they took away all his passing lanes and he'd have to go to his last resort: a tough layup over a taller player.

Maybe the only thing I am sure about is that we have to run and get out in transition, so you need both Remy and Harris to play. Harris's defense also deteriorates as his minutes increase, so the best solution with this roster is pretty simple.
I agree with this.

We need both. And game to game who closes may be different.

I am good with that. Especially since we are talking about the 5th and 6th best players in our rotation of 7 of 8.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Unfortunately Remy apparently isn't that guy. At least not yet. Maybe not ever. He isn't Frank Devonte Dot Ty Sherron etc."

We don't need him to be.
We already have an AA on our squad.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:35 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:14 am

Agreed.
We haven't played a good, complete game since Big 12 play started--Remy got hurt the end of December. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

The overall resume looks good, but a closer look reveals that it is a win over Sparty in the first game, blow outs of bad noncon opponents, and a bunch of one possession games against the Big 12.

Of course, we're going to find out really quick with UK and Baylor on deck.
Agreed again. The next three games (UK, @ISU, BU) are huge for evaluating this teams ceiling. Kind of wish either the UK or BU game was on the road. Feels a little bit like this team is playing down to its competition to some degree. 4 of the last 5 games are wins by 1, 3, 3, 3 (2OT). I know the rankings and Kenpom (etc) love the Big 12 but I'm not convinced the ISU's and TTU's of the world are really elite teams. At least not elite enough to be home wins of 1 and 3.

What I'm starting to wonder is whether or not this team has a 2nd killer.
I think Tech's defense is very obviously the real deal, as it has been ever since Adams came to Lubbock with Beard. If Williams is this good the rest of the season, then they are legit top 15, especially once they get Shannon and McCullar going.

Agree on ISU. Well coached but lacking in talent.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 am "Unfortunately Remy apparently isn't that guy. At least not yet. Maybe not ever. He isn't Frank Devonte Dot Ty Sherron etc."

We don't need him to be.
We already have an AA on our squad.
Exactly.

Last night maybe HE started to figure that out. He made some good assists after being aggressive. Didn't take any stupid long 2pters that I remember. Run the offense, move the ball. The only 1 shot hunting should be Och.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:49 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:38 am There is no improvement curve in continuing to go with harris
You really don't think DH has improved from last year?
That isn't what I meant. He's improved a ton. I mean the team already has really good chemistry with him and he knows the offense very well.

I think Remy's playmaking ability gives us a better product already, but we are only scratching the surface of how well our team can be with Remy because he is still learning to gel with the rest of the guys. More chemistry to be built there
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 am Dajuan’s defense is getting into overrated territory. A liability on both sides of the ball last night. Thinking he made some great play on Och’s game tying 3 last night is also hilarious.

It’s abundantly clear we need Remy and that has been that way for a couple of seasons. I’m still hopeful Bill knows that and figures it out.

Bill’s only been to 1-2 practices in the last 2 weeks. We usually get it all figured out in February. Remy’s reps and minutes continue to increase, but he should have had more run last night if he was available.
The tech team was a bad match up for dajuan, but I agree his defense is a bit overrated. He plays smart sound defense, but he isn't that tall, isn't that strong, isn't that quick. He has good fundamentals and wingspan tho
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:42 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:49 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:38 am There is no improvement curve in continuing to go with harris
You really don't think DH has improved from last year?
That isn't what I meant. He's improved a ton. I mean the team already has really good chemistry with him and he knows the offense very well.

I think Remy's playmaking ability gives us a better product already, but we are only scratching the surface of how well our team can be with Remy because he is still learning to gel with the rest of the guys. More chemistry to be built there
I absolutely agree about Remy needing to develop more chemistry....but i also think he was overrated coming into the season now that we have seen him on a good team surrounded by good players. Being asked to play defense, run offense, and not just freelance with the ball in his hands.

We need good Remy if we want to win a national title. Whether that's starting or off the bench. Closing or not. We need him to play well. And not individually. As part of the team.
Deleted User 863

Some people seem discouraged by the last few games? Not me. I am encouraged. Winning close games when you don't play the best is good. Better than losing them.

And we just witnessed what people beg for, and that was Self trusting KJ down the stretch and it paid off. He made winning plays.

That is evidence Self will play the young/new guys if they earn it and make winning plays for the team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This is about the time that Malik turned it around after many (myself included) were ready to write him off. Malik didn't have the injury setback, though.

We badly need what Remy has shown he can already be at the Power 5 level for 4 seasons in a conference with teams that routinely kick our ass. This is not a Yesufu situation, and Remy's an even a safer bet than Malik was.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 am Some people seem discouraged by the last few games? Not me. I am encouraged. Winning close games when you don't play the best is good. Better than losing them.

And we just witnessed what people beg for, and that was Self trusting KJ down the stretch and it paid off. He made winning plays.

That is evidence Self will play the young/new guys if they earn it and make winning plays for the team.
Wouldn't call myself discouraged. Just frustrated that Remy has seemingly not had a chance to succeed here while a player who is way worse on the offensive side of the ball and not much better on the defensive side is playing the majority of the minutes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

Malik was an elite recruit. Top 10 HS player. Was Remy?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:09 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 am Some people seem discouraged by the last few games? Not me. I am encouraged. Winning close games when you don't play the best is good. Better than losing them.

Wouldn't call myself discouraged. Just frustrated that Remy has seemingly not had a chance to succeed here while a player who is way worse on the offensive side of the ball and not much better on the defensive side is playing the majority of the minutes.
"Concerned" wouldn't be an incorrect word, either. Kansas State is 10-8.
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:09 am

He's been given tons of opportunity to succeed. He's started 12 of 16 games.

DH is only averaging 4.5 minutes more than Remy. Gap would be even smaller if Remy were healthy i think.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 am DH is only averaging 4.5 minutes more than Remy. Gap would be even smaller if Remy were healthy i think.
And despite fewer minutes, and the injury and doghouse treatment, Remy’s averaging almost twice as many points, similar assist and TO numbers, and twice the rebounds as Dajuan.

And at least last night optics wise, we seemed to play better with Remy in there…or generally just play better when the opponent doesn’t win the gamble of not guarding our primary ballhandler.
Deleted User 863

This idea that DH isn't being guarded this season is a false narrative.

This idea that this position battle comes down to individual box score stats is an exteme oversimplification.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:32 amThis idea that DH isn't being guarded this season is a false narrative.
It's not. Check out Newell's videos.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think we are overreacting. I expect self to roll with Remy over dajuan down the course of the season. Dajuan is a safety net and self is waiting for things to fall into place. Get healthy stay healthy Remy