21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by PhDhawk »

depth is highly overrated. Give me 5 great players over 12 really good ones any day.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The one variable here is foul trouble.
Not sure if Jesse mentions it in the article.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:15 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:36 pm Do all fan bases "want the subs" seemingly every year as badly as ours do?
Yes. Hence the expression "The backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town."
I like Pop's saying better. Everyone wants the backup, until it's time for the backup to be in.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:53 am depth is highly overrated
Yes. As long as your team is aware of it. Depth is a luxury. But "depth" simply due to #s of players bunched together not seperating themselves isn't usually a good thing.

In college you can get by with 7man rotations. Maybe 6 if your players are versatile.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:53 am depth is highly overrated. Give me 5 great players over 12 really good ones any day.
Some of Bill's best most cohesive teams have come in seasons where KU had a "short" bench.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Depth is why we win so many regular season conference championships.

Bill managed his ridiculous depth perfectly in 2008. Sherron and Sasha obviously needed to play a ton all season. And then Rodrick, too. The end of bench guys had just enough clock to where they weren't completely lost.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We've had good seasons though with deeper benches.
2008 mentioned.

2016 had Bragg, Traylor and Diallo fighting for time.
And Svi and Brannen also.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:38 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:53 am depth is highly overrated. Give me 5 great players over 12 really good ones any day.
Some of Bill's best most cohesive teams have come in seasons where KU had a "short" bench.
2012 and 2018 both had short rotations. 2012 had basically 7 guys. 2018 had about 7 guys. Self is rounding into form with about 8 guys. Bench of Joe, Zach/KJ and JCL.

I personally think Mitch is about wrapped up with his time. KJ shown to be a better defensive player/rebounder and Zach the better scorer and matchup for the stretch 5.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yeah…was pleasantly surprised to see Zach come in last night on lieu of Mitch
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What 'bout Remy?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:29 pm yeah…was pleasantly surprised to see Zach come in last night on lieu of Mitch
I think Fran hit that one right on the head last night. After a dozen years, Self knows what he's getting from Mitch. KJ has shown he's ready when/if called on no matter the situation and will bring the same energy. This was a perfect time to see where Zach is at coming back from injury.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At home v Oklahoma State was a perfect time to get guys like Clemence clock over a guy like Lightfoot. The goal would be to have Clemence have enough game experience by March so that he could contribute as his ceiling is higher.

Also manage Dave's minutes to not chance bothering his foot any further.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Geezus. I really don't like how these injuries are being handled.

That was another injury that was "at no risk of further damage" now he's getting surgery?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I wouldn’t rush to judgment. A logical and very possible explanation is that it couldn’t be exacerbated but that it would need to be operated on before next season. Once Yesufu supplanted him in the rotation, his camp could have said let’s get the rehab started and apply for a medical redshirt.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He never looked the same after he returned. Bummer for him but I hope, as opposed to the randys of the world, he gets healthy and kicks some ass at KU.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

How many injuries are there that can't be exacerbated...or that don't benefit from rest...especially among injuries that later require operation? It seems to happen to KU guys an awful lot.

And in the case of Dave, you're talking about a foot. Even if THAT injury won't be made worse, he's almost certainly changing his gate, he's going to favor the other foot, those changes make other injuries more likely. And clearly playing, at the very least, makes it hurt enough that it affects his mobility/speed/lift, etc.

And we we're told Remy's knee couldn't get worse from playing, but then in was worse by someone bumping into him during a court storming....how is a court storming bump something that couldn't happen on the court?

Let's get these guys healthy... lets stop making them worse. This benefits the team by being healthier in March and benefits the players long term.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:49 pmHow many injuries are there that can't be exacerbated...or that don't benefit from rest...especially among injuries that later require operation?
Don't know.

My post is only in related to the Pettiford injury.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I just can't imagine there is an abdominal injury where that applies. I mean, a soft tissue tear could easily be made worse. And if it's a hip or something, I just am having trouble picturing a situation where playing doesn't increase pain/inflammation/etc.

I'm not a physician, so maybe I'm just being a know-it-all and mich can come chastise me for it, but we get served that line an awful lot. I mean, this is what Self said about him a week ago: "His minutes are probably limited. He's not healthy. But it's not a situation where he can hurt himself worse. So he's like Remy, it just hurts to play."

If it can't be made worse, why is there a minutes restriction?

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:49 pm How many injuries are there that can't be exacerbated...or that don't benefit from rest...especially among injuries that later require operation? It seems to happen to KU guys an awful lot.

And in the case of Dave, you're talking about a foot. Even if THAT injury won't be made worse, he's almost certainly changing his gate, he's going to favor the other foot, those changes make other injuries more likely. And clearly playing, at the very least, makes it hurt enough that it affects his mobility/speed/lift, etc.

And we we're told Remy's knee couldn't get worse from playing, but then in was worse by someone bumping into him during a court storming....how is a court storming bump something that couldn't happen on the court?

Let's get these guys healthy... lets stop making them worse. This benefits the team by being healthier in March and benefits the players long term.
A full tear of a small muscle or tissue of some kind. Not a major ligament but something small like a tendon or small muscle. Your foot has a bunch of small bands of muscles and tissues. Once it is torn, it is torn. It hurts like shit but it is just going to sit there fully torn until it gets sewn back together if that's possible. Some things are just kinda your unfortunate new normal.