Marcus

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Marcus

Post by jfish26 »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:24 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm It's no secret that Bill has a man-crush on Marcus.
I'm not far behind. Love the way he plays and the energy he always brings. He's as smooth as someone who struggles to score from outside 5 feet can be.
It's so easy to fall into the trap of focusing on what a guy can't do, that you short-sell the value of what he can do.

I am very guilty of this with Marcus, particularly because I never really thought about what could happen if you just gave him the ball.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He will get to the basket at will next season.
Improve the free throw shooting please b/c you're gonna have a lot of and one opps.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it was pretty amazing how often he was getting to the bucket going right, even though everyone and their mom knew that’s what he was going to do
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm going to be holding my breath (one lung for each ankle) every time he goes up at the rack next year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:34 am
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:24 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm It's no secret that Bill has a man-crush on Marcus.
I'm not far behind. Love the way he plays and the energy he always brings. He's as smooth as someone who struggles to score from outside 5 feet can be.
It's so easy to fall into the trap of focusing on what a guy can't do, that you short-sell the value of what he can do.

I am very guilty of this with Marcus, particularly because I never really thought about what could happen if you just gave him the ball.
It helps that we won't be relying on him to score. Releford-like in a way, but more valuable b/c of his position.

We're possibly looking at a conference POY discussion like we did with D'Tae vs. Trae Young next season. But, OSU guy could very well be NPOY. Marcus just isn't going to score enough to garner that consideration.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Jahmius Ramsey will.
I see 18-19 PPG from him.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Didn't Anthony Davis only average like 12 points a game the year he won NPOY? That's what separates Garrett from most DPOY types. He very well could win that award next year again, while at the same time leading the league in assists. Not saying he would win it, but if he can average 12 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, while still playing DPOY level defense, he would definitely earn himself a spot on the list of finalists.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:58 pm Didn't Anthony Davis only average like 12 points a game the year he won NPOY? That's what separates Garrett from most DPOY types. He very well could win that award next year again, while at the same time leading the league in assists. Not saying he would win it, but if he can average 12 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, while still playing DPOY level defense, he would definitely earn himself a spot on the list of finalists.
I think it's a good point, but Davis also had the luxury of, not only being, but also obviously looking like the #1 overall draft pick by a mile on the nation's best team.

I think Garrett could and probably will be one of the most valuable players in the country next season. We just know how these votes go and Cunningham is going to get Ben Simmons or Trae Young type treatment.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if Garrett gets serious run at conference PoY discussions, that'd be awesome.

but I just think it's quite a long shot unless either he really ups his scoring, and/or every other candidate's scoring is down.

it's clear being the most important player on the best team don't mean much toward these awards as putting up bigger numbers on what might not even be a good team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well Dok won it this year and didn't put up monster scoring numbers.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

True.

He also averaged a double double, and set an ncaa record in one particularly significant category, fg%. And in terms of some more qualitative “eye test,” dude was unguardable.

I suppose if Garrett’s gonna make a go of it - and I’m not saying he can’t! - his overall numbers could use a bump.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And generally, isn’t ppg perhaps the most significant metric considered toward these awards?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It is.
I don't think Garrett will be winning the Naismith or being a 1st team AA candidate.
But I think he'll be one of the front runners for B12POY.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I could see that.

with the narrative being, "he has improved his numbers, even if they aren't as flashy as other guy's stats, but more importantly he is the heart and soul of the best team in the conference, and gets his team the Ws in so many different ways..."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And also with the narrative being when he dunks all over Ramsey to clinch 2str8t.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:41 pm I could see that.

with the narrative being, "he has improved his numbers, even if they aren't as flashy as other guy's stats, but more importantly he is the heart and soul of the best team in the conference, and gets his team the Ws in so many different ways..."
Problem with the narrative is if Butler comes back, he'll have a similar narrative. Devonte' like. It's a 2-man race with Cunningham and Butler in that scenario. What's crazy, though, is you might have 3 legit 1st team AA candidates in Big 12 with those 2 and Garrett. And then the 2 best defensive players in the country in Garrett and Vital.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Vital is not a senior?!

How many years of elligibility does that chubby fucker get?!
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I also found that shocking. He's a little overrated at this point.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if take Vital in a heartbeat...kid has a motor and nose for the ball
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He's a nice piece and an elite defender.

I agree with PhD that I can't believe he is able to jump so high with that pudding.