3 point offense

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 3 point offense

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am Eventually we are going to need to start getting some top 20-30 guys with more regularity (even better the ones who stick around for 2 or 3 years) Can't always expect to find and cultivate Masons and Grahams.
Marcus Garrett, 4th rated CG in the country, #55 overall
Devon Dotson, 4th rated PG in the country, #21 overall
Bryce Thompson, 4th rated CG in the country, #21 overall
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

is BT the only guy we’ve got ranked in the top 30?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think Dave was around 25.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Baylor just kicked our asses with only 4 guys who were top 100 recruits and none were in the top 50.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man, how do we recruit 3 highly ranked guards and not of them is a “shooter?”
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 am man, how do we recruit 3 highly ranked guards and not of them is a “shooter?”
It's worse, that doesn't include Grimes...who also wasn't a "shooter"

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am Baylor just kicked our asses with only 4 guys who were top 100 recruits and none were in the top 50.
We have 0 excuses. This team should be better right now.
Deleted User 89

i’m tempted to say we’re plagued by youth, but i don’t think everything can be attributed to that
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Garrett, Och and DMac have played a lot of Big 12 basketball.

Even CB isn't your typical sophomore experience-wise.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:32 am
Cascadia wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 pm We gotta stop digging first half holes with stupid f’n offensive philosophy.
Yep
I was very annoyed to see Bill’s platitudes about “I thought our guys looked really good in the second half,” and so on.

You don’t get credit for having a gun for the second half of a gun fight you opened with a knife.
I think this is the most stubborn Self I've ever seen. My guess is that changes are coming, but the biggest change needed is unavailable. We have no PG on the roster.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:17 am
Cascadia wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm

Yep
I was very annoyed to see Bill’s platitudes about “I thought our guys looked really good in the second half,” and so on.

You don’t get credit for having a gun for the second half of a gun fight you opened with a knife.
I think this is the most stubborn Self I've ever seen. My guess is that changes are coming, but the biggest change needed is unavailable. We have no PG on the roster.
Then make it your strength. Go big-less, and make the other team adjust to you for once.

The biggest thing not working is that we're trying to run conventional offense with a PG who doesn't need to be guarded outside six feet.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 am

Then make it your strength. Go big-less, and make the other team adjust to you for once.

The biggest thing not working is that we're trying to run conventional offense with a PG who doesn't need to be guarded outside six feet.
Hard to play small ball with 2 non shooters on the floor and nobody truly elite at consistently getting to the hoop for easy points.

I think we are doing about all we can with the roster we have. If Dave eliminates the jumpers and cuts down on the turnovers then we are in a decent spot. But in the end this team must outscore other teams from behind the arc. We can't take and make less 3s than our opponents and expect to win very often. That is our teams strength with wilson och and cb.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Hard to play small ball with 2 non shooters on the floor and nobody truly elite at consistently getting to the hoop for easy points.

I think we are doing about all we can with the roster we have. If Dave eliminates the jumpers and cuts down on the turnovers then we are in a decent spot. But in the end this team must outscore other teams from behind the arc. We can't take and make less 3s than our opponents and expect to win very often. That is our teams strength with wilson och and cb.
1 - There's not much reason to expect this to happen.

2 - In what was arguably the best game of his career, we were largely throttled by Okie State. It's not a good thing if, at his best, we lose to an inferior team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pmHard to play small ball with 2 non shooters on the floor and nobody truly elite at consistently getting to the hoop for easy points.

So you say that we are doing all we can and then say we are not doing all we can?

We already played small ball this season. It worked in spurts. I think the way out is mixing those lineups in and using Mac/MG differently. The current setup isn't working.
Deleted User 89

illy going full illy
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:07 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pmHard to play small ball with 2 non shooters on the floor and nobody truly elite at consistently getting to the hoop for easy points.

So you say that we are doing all we can and then say we are not doing all we can?

We already played small ball this season. It worked in spurts. I think the way out is mixing those lineups in and using Mac/MG differently. The current setup isn't working.
I think we are basically forced to play (or attempt to play) DMac and Mitch for 30ish combined minutes most nights. Wilson and Enaruna can't play the 5 for 25+min a night imo. Just doesn't seem realistic when we are going to have to play MG and DH together for a lot of those minutes.
Deleted User 89

someone commented earlier, either in this thread or the other, that maybe it’s time we force other teams to adjust to the style that best suits our guys

if 5 guards is the best style for this roster, then we do it and make the opposition adjust...and, we adjust in the defensive end (zone, quick doubles in the post, etc.)

our two bigs absolutely do not have to play 25-30 min/game
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:04 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pm

1 - There's not much reason to expect this to happen.

2 - In what was arguably the best game of his career, we were largely throttled by Okie State. It's not a good thing if, at his best, we lose to an inferior team.
1. is on Self to make sure Dave is a seconday or tertiary option and not the guy we run our offense through.

2. had a lot more to do with Wilson and Braun struggling and nothing from our bench than McCormack.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I didn't blame Okie State on him. He was really good! It's just an indication that he doesn't really affect any one else's game.