Remy's Knee Thread:

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Remy's Knee Thread:

Post by PhDhawk »

Right, these are teams we should be beating by 15 instead of 2, but our mediocre defense is letting them keep in close.

Our offense is not the problem, our defense is.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Sparko wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:03 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:51 am
Mjl wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:38 am We are taking advantage of the faceguarding. We've shot 52, 58, and 53% in our last three games. Ochai was out the one before that.

It's like having a great passing offense, a defense that gives up 30 points a game, and an average running back, and all that's talked about is how we need to be playing the backup running back that has a fumbling problem because he can occasionally break a 75-yard run.
Potd.
The fact that they are not scoring a lot means those stats have barely kept them in the last two games. They blew a four point lead and an eight point lead in the last minute of the previous games. This team should have breathing space and does not. To me, missing Remy and depending on a small PG without a lot of shooting skill seems to be the central cause. The good news is that there are options to explore going into post season.
I'd like to see Self give the fumble-prone running backs a little more time on the field if nothing else just so that our average running back isn't completely pooped at the end of the game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't know if we have an "average running back" at least not by Kansas standards.
But I still agree with your metaphor with the fumbling backup.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:21 pm Right, these are teams we should be beating by 15 instead of 2, but our mediocre defense is letting them keep in close.

Just have to score more with this personnel. The FT woes are in the 2nd half after big minutes--need to play more guys. Obviously we are all waiting to see if we get back one player. I'll get excited again if we can start cooking on offense again.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:55 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:21 pm Right, these are teams we should be beating by 15 instead of 2, but our mediocre defense is letting them keep in close.

Just have to score more with this personnel. The FT woes are in the 2nd half after big minutes--need to play more guys. Obviously we are all waiting to see if we get back one player. I'll get excited again if we can start cooking on offense again.
I don't care how it gets done. But I'm not going to complain about our offense being the problem when it's kenpom top 5.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:11 pm

I don't care how it gets done. But I'm not going to complain about our offense being the problem when it's kenpom top 5.
Not what I meant. Offense is this group's solution, but it's not thee problem. At least not overall. Not a gigantic margin for error.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:11 pm

Agreed, we have bigger issues. The offense has now shot over 50% in four straight Big 12 conference games, which is fantastic. We just need to improve at the free throw line, turn the ball over less and play better defense while continuing to try to find match ups where bench guys can come in and contribute meaningful minutes.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The fumbling backup stuff is pretty rich since they haven't had a chance to go full Freshman BIFM or Chalmers. Sherron was on the floor to help win the 08 championship. Harris lacks physical strength and size. He gets lost in the scrum many times and has difficulty playing over taller guards. I am not going to bitch about strong drives to the rim. Anyway, a lot of this is Remy being injured. I would have liked Yes to get more minutes to get the rust off. He has a couple of floor length finishes. This year, bench pieces are more important than usual. I would like to see more minutes from Yes. Defense has a tiny guy switching on bigs right now.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I wouldve like pettiford to not get covid or get hurt....but...id also like a million cash. so...
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Does Remy suit up again for KU? I’m having my doubts.

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Remy doesnt return, I will gather it has more to do with than just his knee.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Do we even want to try to work Remy back into the rotation at this point? Its going on late february. Dude has a nagging injury probably won't be 100 percent ever. And even if he was he would be rusty and trying to get his rhythm back.

And even if all goes best case scenario,, he sucks at defense
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He averaged 19 PPG for two years in a power 5 conference. Hes better than Yes and Pettiford at the very least. So the answer there is yes.

Sorry if it means your boi has to sit.

All that said, I'm having doubts he makes it back.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Remy, was a fringe nba guy to begin with so I don’t see how sitting out is helping his case. Does he even get invited to the Combine? Are his advisors or parents telling him he needs to sit as not to ruin his chances at that? What an odd situation.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Or he's been effectively kicked off the team but cordially so he doesn't have the stigma of guy-who-got-kicked-off-the-team. Like Vick, only better hidden.

Or the injury is legit.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think he's legit hurt....although I think he could probably play through it. The problem is that if he tries to play through it and is ineffective Self won't play him as much and that tanks whatever small bit of draft stock Remy has...so maybe that's why he's sitting out instead of trying to play 15-20mpg hurt.

Remy came here to improve his draft stock and be "the guy". Unfortunately he's not better than some of our returning players, which I think probably came as a surprise to him. Och and CB are significantly better than last year. JW has been incredible the last several weeks/month+.

I am sure Remy is a bit frustrated with his individual performance, but I do think he can embrace the opportunity to win with us even if he's not a focal point.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

For what it's worth, I was told by someone in attendance @ ISU (where Remy did not play) that he was the most energized guy on the bench.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I don't think we're getting him back. There's close to no time left to get ready ahead of the final run and he was struggling with his role even before the injury.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:34 am I think he's legit hurt....although I think he could probably play through it. The problem is that if he tries to play through it and is ineffective Self won't play him as much and that tanks whatever small bit of draft stock Remy has...so maybe that's why he's sitting out instead of trying to play 15-20mpg hurt.

Remy came here to improve his draft stock and be "the guy". Unfortunately he's not better than some of our returning players, which I think probably came as a surprise to him. Och and CB are significantly better than last year. JW has been incredible the last several weeks/month+.

I am sure Remy is a bit frustrated with his individual performance, but I do think he can embrace the opportunity to win with us even if he's not a focal point.
What on earth?

So to counter not playing very much he is choosing to play not at all because not playing very much will negatively impact his draft stock more than being healthy enough to play (in your opinion) but choosing not to?

Maybe he just feels like he isn't able to perform at the level needed for the team to succeed and all of your assumptions are incorrect?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:05 am I don't think we're getting him back. There's close to no time left to get ready ahead of the final run and he was struggling with his role even before the injury.
The tourney starts in 5 weeks. There is plenty of time.