Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:27 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:25 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:07 am Freshman seasons:

Frank - 16 mpg 5.5pts 2 ast
Devonte - 18 mpg 5.7 pts 2 ast
Elmarko - 18.6 mpg 4.2 pts 2 ast

Wrong again fish. All very similar

Frank and devonte played on much younger teams so you'd expect their role and numbers to be bigger
You are missing the point. It is very very BAD for someone with Jackson's recruiting profile to perform like freshmen with Mason's and Graham's recruiting profile.

It is nice, I suppose, that there are reasons to be hopeful for Jackson's future. But he was recruited to help NOW, the roster was built around him contributing NOW, and he sucks NOW. This is NOW.
It's bad to be compared to compared to 2 first team all Americans who both played in the nba? Both won big 12 POY. Frank was national POY
You are just purposefully running away from the point.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: B12 2024

Post by pdub »

randy and MICH are right in that if we can hang onto Elmarko for 3 years, I think his third year he'll be better than Elijah, maybe sneak on a B12 2nd or 3rd team.

Despite his initial rating not matching up with his output, these are the kind of dudes that become important pieces to contenders.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:30 am randy and MICH are right in that if we can hang onto Elmarko for 3 years, I think his third year he'll be better than Elijah, maybe sneak on a B12 2nd or 3rd team.

Despite his initial rating not matching up with his output, these are the kind of dudes that become important pieces to contenders.
Totally agree with all of that.

He can be an important rotational piece, just like DH and Kj.

I do not think he can be your star.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He has shown a mid range jumper and speed to the basket.
I think his ceiling is higher than Dajuan's for sure.
No, I don't think he's your star but I wouldn't put it past him ( and we know this wasn't his intention with all of those early NBA draft whispers ) to be your 2nd/3rd best dude by his junior year.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Fish the point is you're a fool to write off elmarko because you had unrealistic expectations for a raw freshman and everything else I said just proves that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:08 pm Fish the point is you're a fool to write off elmarko because you had unrealistic expectations for a raw freshman and everything else I said just proves that.
Point me to where I've written him off! I have said, over and over, that his best comp is a guy who became...a good starter on a good team.

That is good!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Fish the point is you're a fool to write off elmarko because you had unrealistic expectations for a raw freshman and everything else I said just proves that."

No, you are missing JFish's point.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Fish's points change every 5 seconds. This guy will argue semantics until all our hairs fall out. And the moment he realizes he's wrong about anything, he starts backpedaling and shifting until he's convinced himself he's right. I've done this too many times

I'll give you credit fish, you are dedicated to your craft.

But you were wrong to have had such high expectations for a freshman, and you are wrong to think he can't turn into an elite guard further down the road
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:20 pm Fish's points change every 5 seconds. This guy will argue semantics until all our hairs fall out. And the moment he realizes he's wrong about anything, he starts backpedaling and shifting until he's convinced himself he's right. I've done this too many times

But you were wrong to have had such high expectations for a freshman, and you are wrong to think he can't turn into an elite guard further down the road
Like I said, point me to where I've written him off. Or show me where I've changed my point.

You can't do either of those things, because I haven't.

But as you usually do when you are asked to show actual evidence of your claims, you're childishly kicking up dust.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:46 am I think his ceiling is higher than Dajuan's for sure.
Individually, absolutely.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:24 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:20 pm Fish's points change every 5 seconds. This guy will argue semantics until all our hairs fall out. And the moment he realizes he's wrong about anything, he starts backpedaling and shifting until he's convinced himself he's right. I've done this too many times

Like I said, point me to where I've written him off. Or show me where I've changed my point.

But as you usually do when you are asked to show actual evidence of your claims, you're childishly kicking up dust.
You made a comment about him not being good enough to play here and not loving up to his role in one of these threads. I'm not going to waste my time searching through thousands of your dumbass posts just because you are too petty to admit you're wrong
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And fish, it's ok to be wrong about things. Everyone on here is occasionally, and just about everyone owns up to it

Except you. You will argue to the ends of the earth to try to find some way to twist the conversation before just admitting you were wrong about something
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:24 pm

You made a comment about him not being good enough to play here and not loving up to his role in one of these threads. I'm not going to waste my time searching through thousands of your dumbass posts just because you are too petty to admit you're wrong
I'll admit I'm wrong when I'm wrong. If I said that Jackson IS NOT talented enough to play here, I was wrong.

But I don't think I said that.

I have said, over and over and quite consistently, that he has not SHOWN, here, the kind of things that supported his ranking (and our staff's expectations).

You have said that you think he has had an acceptable year. I disagree with that. I think he has had a very disappointing year, and that - unfortunately - this seems to have happened a LOT lately with guys in his ranking range (Grimes, Bryce, Rice, now Jackson).

If you feel that "quality contributor" is too high of a bar for freshmen in that ranking range, I would disagree with that - and point to Bill's history here as evidence.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Just shows you put way too much stock into made up rankings. You mentioned Quentin Grimes just now, there's a good example. Him and och came in the same year. Grimes was like top 10, and och was an unheralded 3 star ranked like 300 something
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:35 pm Just shows you put way too much stock into made up rankings. You mentioned Quentin Grimes just now, there's a good example. Him and och came in the same year. Grimes was like top 10, and och was an unheralded 3 star ranked like 300 something
And you continue to miss or ignore the point.

I am not saying, for example, that Grimes was better in college than Och; clearly he was not.

Nor am I saying, for example, that Jackson is better right now than Furphy; clearly he is not.

What I am saying is that we only get to sign so many guys every year, and based on his ranking and all of the opportunities he was given, very very very clearly we (the program) were hoping to get a hell of a lot more out of Jackson than we have. And it is also very very very clear that we are at least one good guard away from having the sort of team we (the program) were expecting to have.

Jackson has underperformed reasonable expectations, and it has really hurt us. That does not make him a bad guy, or even a bad prospect.

It makes him, though, a disappointment THIS YEAR. And our team is also a disappointment THIS YEAR, in part because of that.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

A disappointment to YOUR expectations fish. Not everyone's. A lot of people were more realistic about it

If elmarko was this sure thing like you expected, self wouldn't have needed to risk recruiting arterio morris
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But I'm not sure why anyone would expect a fringe 5 star guy ranked in the 20s to be a sure fire instant impact freshman. Only a fool
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t see how going from a starting role to spot minutes off the bench wouldn’t be a disappointment
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:28 pm i don’t see how going from a starting role to spot minutes off the bench wouldn’t be a disappointment
Raw talented freshman gets switched for another raw talented freshman with a skillset that better compliments the other starters
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:19 pm A disappointment to YOUR expectations fish. Not everyone's.
To mine too.
He was a McDonalds All American.

But look he just made a play!