B12 2024

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: B12 2024

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:47 pm I'm excited to see what he turns into
Me too.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:46 pm So quite often all our starters play around 30 mpg and we are just splitting hairs here.

Unless you go way back to the loaded teams around 2010

But fish was just trying to stretch the argument in a different direction. Because the whole "elmarko has been a huge letdown and disappointment" conversation was going nowhere
You are so bad at this.

I am telling you that we are desperate for help beyond the four main starters.

You are saying we are not.

I am showing you that we are riding four guys historically hard. And 10-7 since 1/1/24 is exactly consistent with that.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Self typically plays about 7 or 8 guys. Always has.

After our main 4, we have a McDonald's all American guard, a future nba player in furphy, a shooter from the portal that was one of the most sought after transfers, and a 6th year player in Braun who has been better than I expected when he commited

"Desperate for help" or "paper thin" were stupid things to say. Making us sound like an extremely entitled and spoiled fan base
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Timberlake has not lived up to expectations more so than elmarko. But he's still a talented player. He's played better lately. We will see if he keeps his momentum going
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:05 pm Self typically plays about 7 or 8 guys. Always has.

After our main 4, we have a McDonald's all American guard, a future nba player in furphy, a shooter from the portal that was one of the most sought after transfers, and a 6th year player in Braun who has been better than I expected when he commited

"Desperate for help" or "paper thin" were stupid things to say. Making us sound like an extremely entitled and spoiled fan base
Do you not understand that not all 7- or 8-man rotations are created equal? As I have demonstrated, playing FOUR guys this much is unprecedented for us. Even if you want to play with endpoints a little, what we’re doing is extraordinary.

And not in a good way.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We once went 2 a championship game with a walk on and a guy who was a manager for a women's college team as our main 2 subs
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:08 pm We once went 2 a championship game with a walk on and a guy who was a manager for a women's college team as our main 2 subs
This is just like how you think making Frank/Devonte comps for Elmarko is a positive thing.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:11 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:08 pm We once went 2 a championship game with a walk on and a guy who was a manager for a women's college team as our main 2 subs
This is just like how you think making Frank/Devonte comps for Elmarko is a positive thing.
They were both 1st team all Americans and nba players. Only you could turn that into a negative thing.

Elmarko had a similar freshman season to them, he's just bigger/more athletic. And newer to basketball
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

"PI: Can you walk us through your basketball journey? How did you get to where you are today?

EJ: So I started playing basketball in like fifth grade, just for fun, I was just like playing around. I was mainly a lacrosse player, that was my first sport. So I took that serious pretty much up until sophomore year, lacrosse that is. When COVID hit, I started taking basketball more serious. I started playing with the We R1 program out of Delaware, I just started working out everyday. This past summer, I had a really good summer, just after a lot of hours in the gym. I was grateful to get a lot of offers from like a whole bunch of schools and stuff like that, and a whole bunch of guidance from people in the basketball game, in the basketball world, on just how to get better. Then, I ended up here at South Kent, which I feel was like a great move for me, just because of the coaching staff and the players that surround me here. I just get better every single day, and then on top of that the competition of the NEPSAC is amazing. So yeah, and then shortly after I got here I committed to Kansas."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:11 pm
They were both 1st team all Americans and nba players. Only you could turn that into a negative thing.

Elmarko had a similar freshman season to them, he's just bigger/more athletic. And newer to basketball
But you are - again on this - missing or dodging or obscuring the point that is being made about Jackson’s freshman season.

Nobody is saying that it would be a bad thing if Jackson is an All American as a senior. That would be a stupid thing to say, which is why nobody is saying it.

What I am saying is that it is a sign of how badly he has underperformed reasonable expectations that, in looking for HOPE for his future, we look at guys who were complete afterthoughts in recruiting.

In other words, you are making the case for Jackson by pointing to extreme outlier outcomes. That is a bad sign.

And whatever his future - whether he’s Thompson or Robinson or Johnson or something more - he’s barely playable right now. When, although you disagree for reasons that are frankly nonsense, we are in fact paper-thin and in desperate need of help.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:45 pm 3+ starters playing huge minutes sort of coincides with our drop off in recruiting it seems like.
Yep.

And it’s a basic numbers game - when you start with fewer good prospects, the misses hurt more. This is an extreme example, but no one gives a shit when you miss on Micah Downs when the rest of the class is Rush, Chalmers and Wright.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Same comment on Giles (Robinson, Jackson, Kaun).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Fish what you are failing to grasp is that you had an unrealistic expectation for elmarko
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Elmarko has been everything he was supposed to be. An athletic guard with potential. Nothing in his high school scouting report suggested he was a good shooter or finished product
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think a top 25 All American recruit would be doing better THIS SEASON than Elmarko.

And his biggest strength was supposed to be getting to the rim and scoring/drawing fouls. He isn’t doing that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:44 pm I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think a top 25 All American recruit would be doing better THIS SEASON than Elmarko.
Yeah. He should at least be a solid rotation guy. If we had any kind of depth his play would warrant getting mop-up time only.

And to be clear (more for Randy than for you) this makes it Bill’s miss. I have no reason whatsoever to think Elmarko is doing anything wrong. Whatever he’s got, he’s just not anywhere close to showing it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But just because he’s not doing well this season does not mean he can’t in the future.

I do see things/flashes but it’s been kinda rare.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Fish if you want to blame someone, blame arterio morris. Bill wouldn't have taken a risk on him if he thought elmarko was going to be ready
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:44 pm I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think a top 25 All American recruit would be doing better THIS SEASON than Elmarko.

And his biggest strength was supposed to be getting to the rim and scoring/drawing fouls. He isn’t doing that.
This team ranks 316th in three pointers per game. That doesn't exactly create a lot of space for a freshman guard to get to the rim

A big part of elmarkos "struggles" is he just isn't as good a fit as furphy is with the starters. We desperately need furphys shooting to create space
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But you're right it isn't unrealistic to hope a top 25 recruit could make an impact. Depends on the recruit and situation tho.

A raw but athletic guard is going to have a hard time making a big impact on an older team in an older conference like the big 12 though