KU at Texas Official Game thread

Kansas Basketball.
holidaysmore

Re: KU at Texas Official Game thread

Post by holidaysmore »

I wonder if the lack of a 'preseason' hurt Tristan's confidence because in a game like Texas he seems like the ideal guy to combat their length and athleticism. That also requires him to play some sort of a resemblance of defense.

Speaking of defense. Did anyone notice Och getting blown by time after time by UT guards in the second half. We talk about his athleticism but he could not keep any of those guards in front of him.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 am Can't forget about the scholly limits still in play. We have 12 scholly guys now. Have 2 and possibly 3 coming in to Lawrence next year. Makes me think that MG, Mitch and Tristan are probably gone.
I really, really hope Tristan stays. I would like to make a good track record of putting those type of guys into the league.
Agreed. But he's just straight not playing. The positions coming in too are kind of in his position. 6'8 guys that can shoot.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:07 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 am Can't forget about the scholly limits still in play. We have 12 scholly guys now. Have 2 and possibly 3 coming in to Lawrence next year. Makes me think that MG, Mitch and Tristan are probably gone.
I really, really hope Tristan stays. I would like to make a good track record of putting those type of guys into the league.
Agreed. But he's just straight not playing. The positions coming in too are kind of in his position. 6'8 guys that can shoot.
Jalen just looks miles better than Tristan does at the 4. I guess you sell Tristan on this year not counting and his time is coming after player attrition. IIRC, he's young for his class.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’m kinda shocked he hasn’t done more to crack the rotation

hope his potential doesn’t end up not being realized
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:15 am
i’m kinda shocked he hasn’t done more to crack the rotation

hope his potential doesn’t end up not being realized
Most of it is how good Jalen has unexpectedly been.

Some of it is also the short non-con--in a normal year TGF and Tristan would have had more minutes to this point.

Some of it is also that Tristan is a turnover machine. He's still learning this game.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it's the classic talanted underclassman chicken-and-egg:

does Tristan get the short leash cuz he makes little mistakes, or does he make little mistakes cuz he gets the short leash?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

um, yes?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I don't know diddly squat about that guy but the numbers check out. Of course I thought the same thing about Charlie Moore.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

nearly 6 assists per
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I can think of about 10 other schools where this kid can get pretty much the same experience. Minus the drag of a never ending ncaa investigation.

Seems odd to me that a top transfer would consider/choose KU.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So much reach with this NCAA stuff. The players spend 0 seconds thinking about it.

It's a talking point for the Pat Forde's and MICH's of the world, but at KU it's for the lawyers.
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 am I can think of about 10 other schools where this kid can get pretty much the same experience. Minus the drag of a never ending ncaa investigation.

name them...10 other schools where he’d get the support and exposure he’d get at KU (and who may be looking for a transfer scoring guard)
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:37 am So much reach with this NCAA stuff. The players spend 0 seconds thinking about it.

It's a talking point for the Pat Forde's and MICH's of the world, but at KU it's for the lawyers.
You're right. You are always right.

I guess that's why our recruiting classes have slowly but surely slipped these last couple years. Coincidence I suppose.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:37 am So much reach with this NCAA stuff. The players spend 0 seconds thinking about it.

You're right. You are always right.

I guess that's why our recruiting classes have slowly but surely slipped these last couple years. Coincidence I suppose.
Again, we are talking about just 2022.

Do you actually think Bryce Thompson has thought even once over the last year, "My god, this NCAA investigation is really dragging on me!"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 am I can think of about 10 other schools where this kid can get pretty much the same experience. Minus the drag of a never ending ncaa investigation.

name them...10 other schools where he’d get the support and exposure he’d get at KU (and who may be looking for a transfer scoring guard)
duke
unc
msu
ucla
villanova
michigan
kentucky
virginia
arizona
syracuse
ohio state
wisconsin
oregon
texas tech
louisville
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:46 am Again, we are talking about just 2022.
And HCBS just said a week or two ago that he would expect the infractions committee to rule by late summer 2021. Which I think for sure could/would/maybe impact the 2021-22 season.

Eventually they have to rule.Seems sooner rather than later. Hence the slide in our recent classes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:52 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:46 am Again, we are talking about just 2022.
And HCBS just said a week or two ago that he would expect the infractions committee to rule by late summer 2021. Which I think for sure could/would/maybe impact the 2021-22 season.

Eventually they have to rule.Seems sooner rather than later. Hence the slide in our recent classes.
No, he said it would be at least that long.

The thing keeps dragging out because of finances and COVID, so don't understand why it would seem sooner than later. Then you have Oklahoma State (no way they get Cade!) getting their postseason ban overturned.

Our class this year has a blue chip 5*. Last years had 5 4* commits. The year before that we had 2 blue chip 5*'s, a 4* and a 3* Och. Our classes have always been balanced.
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:47 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 am

duke
unc
msu
ucla
villanova
michigan
kentucky
virginia
arizona
syracuse
ohio state
wisconsin
oregon
texas tech
louisville
you’re right on maybe half of those
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"duke
unc
msu
villanova"

Sure.

"virginia.
michigan."

You'd have to do some convincing but maybe.

"arizona"
Under investigation.

"kentucky"
Woof, are we scared about team chemistry?
Or that fan base?
You said support - dunno about that.

"ucla
arizona
syracuse
ohio state
wisconsin
oregon
texas tech
louisville"
lolz. Exposure?