2023-2024 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:22 am KM to declare, but maintain eligibility
I take this as good news then for his return.
I'm not sure he's a lock to even get drafted.
Meanwhile, there were posters here who said they didn't think Jalen was gonna play in the NBA and sure enough, he has an outside shot of getting picked in the first round.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:37 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:22 am KM to declare, but maintain eligibility
Meanwhile, there were posters here who said they didn't think Jalen was gonna play in the NBA and sure enough, he has an outside shot of getting picked in the first round.
yeah, i figure he’ll get feedback that makes the decision to come back easier
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AlOerter wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:33 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:55 pm Remy played 21 mpg. He was great, and a huge addition. But he was 6th or 7th on that team. The offseason improvement of Och and Braun, and the late season emergence of Mac and Harris were bigger factors to that team's success.

Keep adding pieces, but players improve, there's value in continuity, chemistry, and system familiarity.
This is really what we lacked this season. We didn't have the quality 6th or 7th that Remy was. Another upper-classman with skills and savvy. They are out there, but it's a rare freshman who can provide that and it's a crap-shoot on whether one of yours will be that. Gradey was one of those rare ones but we didn't have enough threats to put around him to ease defensive focus off him.

As a side note, Sanogo showed once again the value of having an offensively skilled big who can also protect the rim on D.
I'm guessing this guy was supposed to be Rice.
Even Bryce Thompson was more a factor than he was.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:45 pm Twocoach maybe a good comparison for zuby would he Darnell Jackson. Similar prospect coming out of high school, similar skillets. After Darnell's freshman season you probably didn't care if he transfered either. But he stuck around and look how that played out. Those 4 year role players are still important

I'm high on zuby, I'd like to keep him
I do not remember what Jackson was like as a high school prospect but sure. But you don't turn down what you're guaranteed to get from Hunter Dickinson next year because you're worried you might lose what you might get from Ejiofor 3 seasons from now.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sorry, but McCullar was a terrible offensive player and I have no idea why he thinks he is going to get drafted. Whoever is in his ear about that is giving him terrible advice. If you're yelling at a guy for shooting in college then he probably isn't NBA material. I hope he comes back because he is an excellent defender and does a lot of the dirty work that Self's system needs.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:57 pm If zuby is a career back up, it means we have a stacked front court his whole career here. Hes going to be a damn good college player eventually. And hopefully at ku. If he transfers, it won't be to be a back up somewhere else
It only takes one name to keep Ejiofor on the bench and that name is Udeh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:46 am
Sorry, but McCullar was a terrible offensive player and I have no idea why he thinks he is going to get drafted. Whoever is in his ear about that is giving him terrible advice. If you're yelling at a guy for shooting in college then he probably isn't NBA material. I hope he comes back because he is an excellent defender and does a lot of the dirty work that Self's system needs.
“terrible” is a bit harsh, imo
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

night in and night out, KM was either our 2nd or 3rd best player we had on the floor. that kid was consistent. he brought it every night. we would love to have KM back in a KANSAS uniform next season.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i think that’s the most complete sentences mich has ever had in a single post
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:43 am
randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:45 pm Twocoach maybe a good comparison for zuby would he Darnell Jackson. Similar prospect coming out of high school, similar skillets. After Darnell's freshman season you probably didn't care if he transfered either. But he stuck around and look how that played out. Those 4 year role players are still important

I do not remember what Jackson was like as a high school prospect but sure. But you don't turn down what you're guaranteed to get from Hunter Dickinson next year because you're worried you might lose what you might get from Ejiofor 3 seasons from now.
Agreed, nobody said anything about turning down Dickinson. I'd say he's out top target in the portal, you just can't pass on a guy like that.

All I said was I like zubys upside and hope he finishes out his career here. He's gonna be one of those upperclassmen role playing bigs that championship caliber teams need
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:58 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:43 am

Agreed, nobody said anything about turning down Dickinson. I'd say he's out top target in the portal, you just can't pass on a guy like that.

All I said was I like zubys upside and hope he finishes out his career here. He's gonna be one of those upperclassmen role playing bigs that championship caliber teams need
I agree with you on Zuby's potential and I hope he is patient enough to hang in there and convert that potential into performance.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:19 am

He is a guard with NBA aspirations that shot 29% from 3 in his 4th college season, which sadly was his 2nd BEST 3pt fg% of his 4 year career. Ooof.

But he is a fantastic defender and rebounder and does make a lot of plays that help the offense function better. It's just hard to have so many "opponents don't have to guard him because they are good with him shooting due to how bad he is at it" guys out there.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

every kid on the roster has potential. the staff would not have brought them to Lawrence if they didn't.

problem is , the children these days have the attention span of a gnat. and thanks to the portal they can frolic all over the country looking for their greener pastures and instant fame.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:30 am
He is a guard with NBA aspirations that shot 29% from 3 in his 4th college season, which sadly was his 2nd BEST 3pt fg% of his 4 year career. Ooof.

But he is a fantastic defender and rebounder and does make a lot of plays that help the offense function better. It's just hard to have so many "opponents don't have to guard him because they are good with him shooting due to how bad he is at it" guys out there.
so, his offensive prowess is only defined by 3pt%?

c’mon…
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:34 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:30 am

so, his offensive prowess is only defined by 3pt%?

c’mon…
He is a savvy cutter and a good passer and decent at getting offensive boards. He also hustled hard for loose balls and helped KU's transition offense be a force by being such a tenacious defender. No, his offensive prowess isn't "only" defined by his bad 3pt fg%.

But if he was a good offensive player then there would be zero discussion about him coming back because he would be long gone to the NBA. If you just can't get past the literal word "terrible " then I will change it to "bad".
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you coulda just said he wasn’t a threat from deep

imo, though, that doesn’t make him a terrible or even bad offensive player. cutting, passing, offensive rebounds, spacing, etc…are all part of the offense

we can agree to disagree
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Honestly mccullar is good or even great at everything except shooting lol
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

randylahey wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:59 am Honestly mccullar is good or even great at everything except shooting lol
With that being said, he still hit multiple clutch 3's this year. The biggest and best addition to next year's team, other than Dickinson, is Kevin McCullar.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

MICHHAWK wants him back...