2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:55 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:40 am I'm of the opinion Remy may have been thee most important piece toward that title run. Without him, we prob loose in the second round to Creighton. And in the natty, when we needed buckets down the stretch, it's not like we could count on Dajuan to be draining those stepback 3s.

I think it would be awful difficult for our or any team to truly hit our ceiling without a PG who is also a legit threat to score.

What makes us different than other teams, though, is that Self is the kinda coach who can still figure out ways to win anyway.
I could make the case that KU wouldn't have won the national title if you got rid of any one of the contributors who averaged at least 10 mpg. Agbaji, Braun, Wilson, DMac, Harris, Martin and Lightfoot were all necessary pieces to the title.
We've had this argument so many times, but I don't think it needs to be an argument. Remy was what keyed the tournament run because we saw what that team was without him and it didn't look like a team that had the extra gear to win that many games in a row. His return to form changed the entire team because 1. It gave us the offensive boost we needed when we would go cold and 2. Remy stopped being a complete liability on defense. The 2022 squad at the end of the season was Top 10 good on both offense and defense. That version of the team was in the handful of best Self teams at KU.

The Championship game, though, so many had their fingerprints on that game. Particularly in the 2nd half, you had huge performances from CB, then Och, then Remy, and then Dave finished it. Dajuan was also nails throughout, particularly from a toughness and effort standpoint.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:40 am I'm of the opinion Remy may have been thee most important piece toward that title run. Without him, we prob loose in the second round to Creighton. And in the natty, when we needed buckets down the stretch, it's not like we could count on Dajuan to be draining those stepback 3s.

I think it would be awful difficult for our or any team to truly hit our ceiling without a PG who is also a legit threat to score.

What makes us different than other teams, though, is that Self is the kinda coach who can still figure out ways to win anyway.
I could make the case that KU wouldn't have won the national title if you got rid of any one of the contributors who averaged at least 10 mpg. Agbaji, Braun, Wilson, DMac, Harris, Martin and Lightfoot were all necessary pieces to the title.
This of course, is correct, but if you had to pick the best player for the first three games of the tournament, it'd be Remy. And if you had to pick the best player for the last three games of the tournament, it'd be Dave.
Ok, sure. I was more basing my comment off of the fact that you could plug any of our core players from last year into the statement and be correct "Without him, we prob lose in the (whatever) round to (whoever)."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:04 am

We've had this argument so many times, but I don't think it needs to be an argument. Remy was what keyed the tournament run because we saw what that team was without him and it didn't look like a team that had the extra gear to win that many games in a row. His return to form changed the entire team because 1. It gave us the offensive boost we needed when we would go cold and 2. Remy stopped being a complete liability on defense. The 2022 squad at the end of the season was Top 10 good on both offense and defense. That version of the team was in the handful of best Self teams at KU.

The Championship game, though, so many had their fingerprints on that game. Particularly in the 2nd half, you had huge performances from CB, then Och, then Remy, and then Dave finished it. Dajuan was also nails throughout, particularly from a toughness and effort standpoint.
100% agree that there is no argument to it at all. Every contributor needed to step up at some point in the run. I think we're seeing more and more Self coached teams utilize this model where he is less reliant on a few guys needing to all be great at the same time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dave was the best player in the final three games - including the championship.
The narrative that all Dave did was 'finish it' in the title game is not doing him justice for his defense in the paint vs UNC's leading scorer Bacot.

Final three games:
18.3 PPG. 7.6 RPG. 67.6% FG.

Final two games:
20 PPG. 9.5 RPG. 63% FG.

Bacot 3-13 FG.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:07 am

100% agree that there is no argument to it at all. Every contributor needed to step up at some point in the run. I think we're seeing more and more Self coached teams utilize this model where he is less reliant on a few guys needing to all be great at the same time.
Seems like our best teams usually have someone in the 1st team AA conversation, but certainly his elite teams are nails at every position.

Some of the common denominators I see are a reliable PG on offense and then, for many of the great teams but I suppose not 2022, an eraser at the rim.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dave was good, yea, but was the the best player in the sense he was performing at some exceptional all-time level, or just in the sense he was the only true big man we had with a team and coach and system that relies on big men?

if you had any other contender of a team and could add one guy to it for a run, would you rather it be Dave or Remy?

it's hard to evaluate Dave, cuz good Dave really was good. But the greater overall metric for Dave may more so be, at least he wasn't bad Dave just spazzing out again.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I love how no one is talking to pdub, but he just keeps chiming in with, “but Dave, but Dave, but Dave. You guys, DAVE!!!!”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dajuan also sat much of the 2nd half, and pretty entirely down the stretch in crunch time.

and when he finally did come back in, all he had to do was 4 seconds of DONT DRIBBLE IT OUT OF BOUNDS, yet he fucked it up anyway.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:14 am
if you had any other contender of a team and could add one guy to it for a run, would you rather it be Dave or Remy?

This is a no brainer for me ( of course, it depends on the makeup of the team, but i'm considering a neutral state ).
It's Dave.
He was a better player all season long than Remy ( but but injuries - they both had injuries ).

And he was a better player at the end of the tournament, defended the best player UNC had, and had the game winning shot.

And this:
"Dave was good, yea, but was the the best player in the sense he was performing at some exceptional all-time level,"

I counter with this:

Final three games:

Final two games:
20 PPG. 9.5 RPG. 63% FG.

Bacot 3-13 FG.

*Actually that whole ousdahl post "dave was good, yea..." is an absolute mess.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:17 am

Dajuan also sat much of the 2nd half, and pretty entirely down the stretch in crunch time.

and when he finally did come back in, all he had to do was 4 seconds of DONT DRIBBLE IT OUT OF BOUNDS, yet he fucked it up anyway.
I guess I just always remember his steal and assist for the and-1 to Jalen, which got me to jump higher than I have since high school.

His out of bounds was a big fuck up though, yes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:28 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:17 am

I guess I just always remember his steal and assist for the and-1 to Jalen, which got me to jump higher than I have since high school.

His out of bounds was a big fuck up though, yes.
Very similar to sherron in 08. His steal gives him a free pass for the awful layup attempt down the stretch.

Thankfully Rose can’t make a FT.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:23 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:14 am

This is a no brainer for me.
It's Dave.
He was a better player all season long than Remy ( but but injuries - they both had injuries ).

And he was a better player at the end of the tournament, defended the best player UNC had, and had the game winning shot.

And this:
"Dave was good, yea, but was the the best player in the sense he was performing at some exceptional all-time level,"

I counter with this:

Final three games:

Final two games:
20 PPG. 9.5 RPG. 63% FG.

Bacot 3-13 FG.

*Actually that whole ousdahl post "dave was good, yea..." is an absolute mess.
yea, this is all just some goofy offseason fanboy musing.

and yea, if my post was a mess, then the take that "Dave was the better player all season long," holy shit!

Dave wasn't even playable for much of the season, physically clumsy and mentally stuck between his own ears, so much so we were throwing Make-A-Wish Mitch and freshman outta position KJ out there far too often instead. Perhaps Dave too, like Remy, was cuz of injuries; except that Dave did the exact same shit during the regular season last year too.

but yea, thank the lord Dave actually settled down enough to be a good big to end the year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sherron was absolutely mugged on that layup.
Leave it to the guy who had RussRob in his top 10 players all time and Sherron Collins not top 25 to take a dig at our x factor that tournament.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

re: Dajuan's steal and assist to Jalen for the and-1, yea, it was pretty rad how quickly we went from like 15 down to like a one possession game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Dave was the better player all season long," holy shit!

Remy 8.6 PPG. 3 RPG. 46% FG. No awards.
Dave 10.6 PPG. 7 RPG. 51% FG. Better Crimscore. Better PER. 3rd team All B12.

Yes. Holy shit is right.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am just glad that Dave, who has been justifiably bashed his whole career, was the dude who made those last 2 buckets.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:34 am Sherron was absolutely mugged on that layup.
Leave it to the guy who had RussRob in his top 10 players all time and Sherron Collins not top 25 to take a dig at our x factor that tournament.
lol, such a child
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

So which players will Qusdahl spend all of this season unfairly bashing and talking bad about?

I'll guess DH and Gradey.

The CB takes from last year are ALL TIME stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not really
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:41 am I am just glad that Dave, who has been justifiably bashed his whole career, was the dude who made those last 2 buckets.
I’m happy for Dave, but those last 2 buckets are going to lead to 10 years of “but Dave! Crimscore!” every time that game/season is discussed.

I mentioned this a few days ago, we have too many overly emotional types on this board.