3 point offense

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 3 point offense

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Alabama is shooting 34% on the year. Decided to put up 19 3s and make 14 of them against LSU.

In the first half.

KU is shooting 37% on the year. Shoots 19 of them a game.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am NOT one of those that insist we should play 5 guards most of the time and DMac needs to go to the bench to start games.

But, to not play 5 out at all lately doesn't seem like the right move. Bill said early on, and followed through, that we have to play it in stretches. Those stretches need to come back. There was a stat out there that showed we have been 15 points better per 100 possessions with DMac and Lightfoot both on the bench.

It's not the cure, but overall, shit just isn't working right now. See how Jalen responds to that role again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We are shooting 22 3's a game, the 2nd most ever under Bill Self, sans the 2017-18 season where we had a slew of good shooters.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 am I am NOT one of those that insist we should play 5 guards most of the time and DMac needs to go to the bench to start games.

But, to not play 5 out at all lately doesn't seem like the right move. Bill said early on, and followed through, that we have to play it in stretches. Those stretches need to come back. There was a stat out there that showed we have been 15 points better per 100 possessions with DMac and Lightfoot both on the bench.

It's not the cure, but overall, shit just isn't working right now. See how Jalen responds to that role again.
On the other hand, if we play 5-out, it's possible we start getting housed with regularity.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

playing 5 out with the same personnel will likely do nothing to help our rebounding
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure KU rebounded the ball really well with a 5 guard lineup. Wilson was an animal out there as the small-ball 5.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:52 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 am I am NOT one of those that insist we should play 5 guards most of the time and DMac needs to go to the bench to start games.

On the other hand, if we play 5-out, it's possible we start getting housed with regularity.
As opposed to . . .
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean it's not exactly like Dave or Mitch have been the key to owning the boreds otherwise
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 am Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure KU rebounded the ball really well with a 5 guard lineup. Wilson was an animal out there as the small-ball 5.
I think we are better at defensive rebounding with DMac or Lightfoot in there. But, neither are so outstanding in the area to not go to the lineup for stretches. The offensive lulls are a big issue.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah, I'm not sure why, especially when we're down, we haven't played more 5-guards. Mix it up, and see if it works.

No different than going full court press or playing a zone, it's another look in our repertoire so we should use it when it suits us.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DMac is at 55.3 TS% ( a silly stat but one brought up earlier this season ) in conference play - ahead of Braun ( .527 ), Wilson ( .528 ) and Enaruna ( .521 ) - and is our 2nd leading scorer in conference.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Another thing about playing 5 out is, with this current roster, that’s still only like 3 shooters out there
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:56 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 am Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure KU rebounded the ball really well with a 5 guard lineup. Wilson was an animal out there as the small-ball 5.
I think we are better at defensive rebounding with DMac or Lightfoot in there. But, neither are so outstanding in the area to not go to the lineup for stretches. The offensive lulls are a big issue.
I think we loose more rebounding playing Harris instead of Garrett than we do playing 5 Big guards

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you're getting blown out, then yes, you gotta try things - including the 5 guard lineup.
I don't think there's evidence that we'll get better that way in the long run - but if it gets us back in a game, well, we need every game at this point.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 pm If you're getting blown out, then yes, you gotta try things - including the 5 guard lineup.
I don't think there's evidence that we'll get better that way in the long run - but if it gets us back in a game, well, we need every game at this point.
it could also be used for a 4 minute stretch here or there to stop a lull or maybe ignite some offense.

I like it, I just don't think it's our best lineup most of the time.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:58 am Yeah, I'm not sure why, especially when we're down, we haven't played more 5-guards. Mix it up, and see if it works.

No different than going full court press or playing a zone, it's another look in our repertoire so we should use it when it suits us.
And you really have to look at it considering these bench guys that are getting more minutes (Harris, TGF, Enaruna), can't fucking shoot.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

does anyone know, or have an impression as to how our steals/to numbers look when playing 5 guards vs “normal” rotation?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:58 am DMac is at 55.3 TS% ( a silly stat but one brought up earlier this season ) in conference play - ahead of Braun ( .527 ), Wilson ( .528 ) and Enaruna ( .521 ) - and is our 2nd leading scorer in conference.
This is such a Rorschach Test.

Some people think this is a good thing.

I think it is a very bad thing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For steals, unsure on 5 guards v normal - but here are the per 40s in conference.
Garrett 1.6, Harris 1.6, Enaruna 1.3, DMac 1.2, Braun 1.1.

As per rebounding, DMac is still leading us in RP40 in conference for anyone over 7 minutes played.
( Tyon Grant Foster at 7 MPG is actually leading us ).
He's not a good rebounder at all - but he's been our best statistically.