Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by pdub »

Much like we have no exact idea how to solve all the endless issues that will come with NIL, I don't have the exact idea how to solve all the endless issues that would come with restricting it in CBB.

I'd say, yes, you'd have to end your agreement if you wanted to enter college, so to avoid loopholes to recruit players through NIL.
But you don't have to play in college if the NIL agreement was worth more to you than college.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:07 am or if a kid got an instagram influencer deal at like age 16, would The Rules render them ineligible for it?

we've sat guys for entire seasons for less.
The issue gets even less clear when you think through the implications of these kids being minors at the time their NIL begins to be something of material value. It's always been horseshit that kids have been punished (by being held out or suspended) for things they had nothing to do with.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Obviously if the speed limit is 30 you'll still have people going 60 on it when no one is looking.
But, if you caught them, the punishment should be exactly the same for lawyers driving luxury SUV's and fishing guides driving a roommates Toyota Camry.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Neato.

Back to the conversation.

What do you do with a kid whose parent/guardian/handler/whomever sold the kid's NIL when the kid was a minor? Tell him he's SoL, no college for him, he can take it up with whomever took the cash?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but beav drives a jeep
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You'd have to look at the specific incident -- if it was clear that the kid was unknowing about the situation, then you'd reassess. If the kid is starring in shoe ads, where he's on set getting his photo taken, that's a situation where the kid knows what is happening.

You'd make it very clear that any NIL $$ exchanged within x number of days of enrolling in a school would make a kid ineligible for that season.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

good luck to those tasked with untangling this $#!t show of a mess.

considering where we were a year ago. it would have seemed impossible that they could make it worse. but they did.

have fun with it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:49 am You'd have to look at the specific incident -- if it was clear that the kid was unknowing about the situation, then you'd reassess. If the kid is starring in shoe ads, where he's on set getting his photo taken, that's a situation where the kid knows what is happening.

You'd make it very clear that any NIL $$ exchanged within x number of days of enrolling in a school would make a kid ineligible for that season.
This is the problem with facts-and-circumstances tests generally, isn’t it? They’re really problematic in practice.

I’m not saying there’s anything inherently wrong with what you suggest. I think your intent is well-meaning. But, all we’d be doing is recreating the circumstances that let the black market flourish to begin with (the middleman-centric, plausible deniability theater, where there is no consistency to the rules themselves, let alone the enforcement of them).

And that doesn’t really address the capacity issue here.

There are good reasons that minors are not generally considered competent to enter into contracts on their own (to the degree that a court will find the contract enforceable, anyway). A minor who is on camera doing something could certainly be BOTH (1) objectively aware of what is happening, and (2) not legally capable of consenting to what is happening.

To be a BILLION percent clear: I am NOT saying that a basketball player getting taken advantage of for his or her NIL is anywhere near the same thing as other ways in which minors are exploited by adults who make money off of minors. But the point is: I think we should be EXTREMELY skeptical of any rules or enforcement practices that punish kids for actions taken by adults.

My PERSONAL view is that I’d rather the system err on the side of not catching every actual offender, over punishing non-offenders. Particularly when the enforcement stakes here are so inconsequential (although a matter of bored life and death).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"But, all we’d be doing is recreating the circumstances that let the black market flourish to begin with"

Obviously if the speed limit is 30 you'll still have people going 60 on it when no one is looking.

And the market for this would be less if the bloat of $$ was squeezed out of college athletics.

I would also add that the average high school student athlete trying to enter college isn't trying to sign NIL deals. This goes back to my belief that if you took the best 50-100 blue chip recruits out of CBB, it would still be a very very watchable product.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:29 pm "But, all we’d be doing is recreating the circumstances that let the black market flourish to begin with"

And the market for this would be less if the bloat of $$ was squeezed out of college athletics.
Again, no fundamental disagreement from me there (obviously we have a severe difference of opinion on what would happen to college basketball as a result, but so be it).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lol. Hopeless.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... -game/amp/

The NCAA Doesn’t Know How To Stop Boosters From Playing The NIL Game
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Courtney Ramey is showing some interest in KU...not sure if the interest is mutual, though.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:57 pm Courtney Ramey is showing some interest in KU...not sure if the interest is mutual, though.
A cabernet to follow the cognac?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Not sure if anyone posted it yet. But Tyrese hunter, that stud Iowa st freshman point guard (had KU on his list) commited to texas. pretty big pick up for them. Hunter was probably one the best transfers this season

https://247sports.com/college/louisvill ... 88073114_1
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Too bad. Especially with Braun staying in, Hunter was the transfer I wanted most. Seems like a guy who’s already solid, has a lot of room to grow, and won’t be leaving for the draft after next season.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

A back court of Harris and Hunter would have been brutal shooting threes but elite defenders. I think KU can do better than him from a fit perspective.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:42 pm A back court of Harris and Hunter would have been brutal shooting threes but elite defenders. I think KU can do better than him from a fit perspective.
Tyrese Hunter 3pt % = 27.4
Dajuan Harris 3pt % = 38.2

Agree we didn't need Hunter. Not with Yes and Bobby with a year under their belt at KU already.