Best Fried Chicken

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Best Fried Chicken

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I shouldn’t.

Thing is, this person is awful proud of it. Talks it up all the time.

It’s a lot of work, too - he marinades it in buttermilk all day, then fries it til it gets kinda crispy, and then finishes it in the oven. The whole process takes hours, which would be fine if it yielded worthwhile results, but it doesn’t.

The breading never stays on, and it’s often overcooked from being in the oven too long, even though the meat in the middle tastes soggy and off, like it’s too soaked in buttermilk, and the texture seems undercooked even though it’s not.

I guess more than anything I hope he doesn’t talk it up too much and cook it to try and impress a chick, when all along he should just stick to like an alfredo dish.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:05 pm Yeah, I shouldn’t.

It’s a lot of work, too - he marinades it in buttermilk all day, then fries it til it gets kinda crispy, and then finishes it in the oven. The whole process takes hours, which would be fine if it yielded worthwhile results, but it doesn’t.

The breading never stays on, and it’s often overcooked from being in the oven too long, even though the meat in the middle tastes soggy and off, like it’s too soaked in buttermilk, and the texture seems undercooked even though it’s not.

I guess more than anything I hope he doesn’t talk it up too much and cook it to try and impress a chick, when all along he should just stick to like an alfredo dish.
We pressure-cooked then air-fried a whole chicken last night, and it was one hour start to finish, with better results than grocery store rotisserie chicken.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:26 pm

We pressure-cooked then air-fried a whole chicken last night, and it was one hour start to finish, with better results than grocery store rotisserie chicken.
Ninja foodi?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not chicken, but i did a whole bone-in turkey breast in our instapot a couple weeks ago...finished it off under the broiler for 10 minutes

~40 minutes total, and was fantastic
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:52 pm This might end up being a sensitive subject, buuut...

Is there a way to tell somebody that their fried chicken just ain’t that good?
No.
Broham
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Sure. Be passive aggressive and ask for bbq sauce and douse the shit out of the chicken. Or ask for maple syrup like “To Kill a Mockingbird.” And then comment, “This is really good.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m thinking my best bet would be subtle reverse psychology?

Like, brooo this shit is so good! You’re clearly on top of your game, so why stop now? Keep tweaking bro, strive for perfection. Maybe you could get the breading to stick a little better, I mean even better! And is there some way to make the meat not taste like tepid cottage cheese?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Part of it I think is the oil he uses too. I think it’s just some cheap like vegetable oil. Doesn’t have good flavor in itself, and seems prone to burning. I’ve suggested getting peanut oil good and hot...
Deleted User 89

lard
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:23 pmlard
Tallow
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:25 pm
Tallow
twice recently i’ve found myself randomly looking at tallow at our local grocer...they’ve even got bison

never really considered what i’d use it for
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:38 pm
Tallow
twice recently i’ve found myself randomly looking at tallow at our local grocer...they’ve even got bison

I thought I'd read that it had the highest smoke point of any animal fat, but I see now that ghee is actually quite a bit higher (400 vs. 450).
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Ninja foodi?
Yes.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:27 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Ninja foodi?
Yes.
Mrs 99 ordered a Ninja Foodi (stoopid name) and it arrived yesterday. I think she plans on making a roast to christen is.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We've done a couple things. Takes some time getting used to the various functions and what all you're supposed to do/not do. Online recipes that aren't hyper-specific to the one you have aren't all that helpful, and leave you guessing.

That said, when you do things right, you end up with (for example) ridiculously great (and crispy/carmelizationy) pork carnitas in about an hour.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Leawood wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:23 pm Sure. Be passive aggressive and ask for bbq sauce and douse the shit out of the chicken. Or ask for maple syrup like “To Kill a Mockingbird.” And then comment, “This is really good.”
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:38 pm
Tallow

Soap.......if you're into making it yourself.....some tallow, some lye......some perfume......
Deleted User 89

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This belongs in the tourist thread, but better context here cuz it proves a point:

(Overheard at the grocery store deli)

Sir, your 6 piece meal comes with two sides. What would you like?

What’s them tasty lookin pepperoni and cheese thingies there?

Sir, they’re literally just hot pockets.

Ohhh! Can y’all give us a double order of them?

...and to think you guys really tried to tell me these folks wouldn’t overspend on canned beans.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soo McDonald’s bringing chicken biscuits to the breakfast menu