Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, since so many wars have been started over plumbing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:06 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:16 am Lemme ask this (again)

Why should we accept the us and nato’s prescribed narrative about Ukraine when the us and nato are, as DCHawk so eloquently put it, the same bunch of dipshits who sold us the prescribed narrative about WMDs in Iraq?
Wrong Iraq War analogy. The current Ukraine situation is closer to the 1991 scenario. “Insane dictator attacks neighbor”. Only difference now is that we didn’t equip said insane dictator.
Heads up, they/them point to parallels between Zelensky and Saddam.

Cuz apparently Saddam, like Zelensky, started out in a position of support from the US and the west, in opposition to their bigger scarier boogeyman neighbor.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:16 am Lemme ask this (again)

Why should we accept the us and nato’s prescribed narrative about Ukraine when the us and nato are, as DCHawk so eloquently put it, the same bunch of dipshits who sold us the prescribed narrative about WMDs in Iraq?
Do you believe that Russia should be allowed to invade Ukraine, murder their civilians in their homes, rape their women and kidnap their children?

Do you believe that those things are not happening and us being told that is just some "prescribed narrative"?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Way to answer my question with a question. Kinda dodged that one bro.

But, to answer your question anyway, and let me reiterate - NO. Again, the Russian invasion is not acceptable and should be condemned.

That’s not what we’ve been disagreeing on in this thread, though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

…besides, Ukraine is like soo yesterday’s news.

Even the president of the United States is getting bored of that shit. He’s on to bigger and better wars already. No need to keep funneling money into Ukraine when we could start funneling money into some other militant escalation instead

Just ask that notorious kremlin spambot:

The president of the United States

Joe Biden to ask Congress to fund Taiwan arms via Ukraine budget

https://www.ft.com/content/9807f021-a7d ... 05cbf4ba05
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Talks between senior officials from around 40 countries in Jeddah on August 6 agreed that Ukraine’s territorial integrity must be at the heart of any peace deal with Russia to end the war.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I don’t disagree.

And, I’m tempted to even ask how that - restoring “territorial integrity” - might practically be implemented.

But, come Ukraine is like soo yesterday’s news. We’ve been over this. There’s so many bright shiny new wars to escalate and perpetuate instead!

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:31 pm I don’t disagree.

And, I’m tempted to even ask how that - restoring “territorial integrity” - might practically be implemented.

But, come Ukraine is like soo yesterday’s news. We’ve been over this. There’s so many bright shiny new wars to escalate and perpetuate instead!

Having "remarkable escalation" in quotes was a good move. Quite the stretch there.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i swear dude, you’re as bad as randy sometimes

are you aware of what iran has been doing in the Straight of Hormuz?

are you aware of what both china and russia have been doing of the coast of Alaska?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Iran harassed and attacked some ships transporting oil from the region, so now those ships get the marines as security.

And China and Russia sent ships to patrol near Alaska?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:38 pm

Having "remarkable escalation" in quotes was a good move. Quite the stretch there.
I think the term is quoted so as to indicate it’s as reported by wapo.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh!

and speaking of territorial integrity…

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/06/worl ... trike.html
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:47 pm Yea.

Iran harassed and attacked some ships transporting oil from the region, so now those ships get the marines as security.

and off the coast of the UK

imo, given all the provocations, i think Biden has shown quite a bit of restraint
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:48 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:38 pm

I think the term is quoted so as to indicate it’s as reported by wapo.
I understand that. It's referring to the ridiculous FoxNews caliber of a leap in logic it takes to get from what is happening to that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, considering wapo tends to be among the more hawkish media around, it’s either completely ridiculous, or not that ridiculous at all.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:55 pm

imo, given all the provocations, i think Biden has shown quite a bit of restraint
Wait, so now it IS provocations to be fucking around on the doorstep of some other country?

Cuz, considering Biden’s policies in Ukraine and Taiwan, I dunno if I would describe that as showing restraint.

But, I know I know, to suggest a double standard is just Russian propaganda.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:24 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:55 pm

Wait, so now it IS provocations to be fucking around on the doorstep of some other country?

Cuz, considering his policies in Ukraine and Taiwan, I dunno if I would describe that as showing restraint.

But, I know I know, to suggest a double standard is just Russian propaganda.
that’s just silly (and i think you know that)

Ukraine and Taiwan =\= anything close to waters off of our own coast, no matter how much you want to make that a legitimate analogy

you shouldn’t even be trying to equate Ukraine and Taiwan, at least not with a straight face

but, i get it…US foreign policy bad. period.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s not that I think that US foreign policy is bad, period.

It’s that I think that when our own foreign policy and military is to be actively sowing discord, sending guns and bombs, training fighters, etc. in places like Ukraine and Taiwan - which is to say, places we’re using as proxies on the respective doorsteps of bigger imperial rivals - I just don’t think it should be that big a surprise when said rivals start “patrolling” our doorsteps, too.

And, thank the lord it’s only patrolling, right? The last headline I saw said that US officials don’t consider the patrolling to be a threat.

Hopefully the imperial rivals’ patrolling doesn’t escalate to arming proxies on our doorstep too!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

except the US wasn’t providing any sort of appreciable level of military support to Ukraine until russia decided to bully…and even then, it was only non-lethal until 2017
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Russia is a bad actor and deserves no cover