Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:56 am apparently, a Ukrainian sniper took out a target at a distance of 3.8 km (~2.3 mi), breaking a world record for such things
You seen pictures of the casing? My god, it looks more like artillery shell than rifle round.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:32 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:56 am apparently, a Ukrainian sniper took out a target at a distance of 3.8 km (~2.3 mi), breaking a world record for such things
You seen pictures of the casing? My god, it looks more like artillery shell than rifle round.
i have not, but you’ve piqued my curiosity
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

that shit is insane to me.

the drop alone on that bullet is crazy.

The speed on a 30.06 is wayyyy slower than what this guy was shooting, but, the drop on a 30.06 at only 500 yards is in the 43" range.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the “Lord of Horizon”

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it's "just" a .50 cal bullet but the casing is huge because it's carrying somewhere around 980g (!) of powder (most hunting rifles are 165-185) needs all that powder to produce the power and speed to be effective at 2 fucking miles....
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

That’s a kilo of just powder? Wish I was teaching AP Physics in high school. It would be an awesome problem to solve, translating energy from powder into energy of the bullet and momentum loss etc
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pentagon fails audit for 6th year in a row.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:45 am That’s a kilo of just powder? Wish I was teaching AP Physics in high school. It would be an awesome problem to solve, translating energy from powder into energy of the bullet and momentum loss etc
no, the g in ballistics is grains not grams a grain is approximately .06 grams so...980 grains is roughly 63.55 grams if I've done the math right.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Thanks for clarifying the mass……. Should have guessed because the casing didn’t appear large enough to hold a kilo of powder!!!! Still, a good problem for AP students.

Disclaimer: Applicable only to those who believe that there is value in education, especially in STEM. Not valid in FL, TX, TN, WV, AR and other areas where owning the libs is more important than knowledge.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Watching the American bigots Trump gave permission to be total assholes, gets so embarrassing, and so ____ing old.

Cal Berkeley basketball player Fardaws Aimaq took matters into his own hands after he was allegedly racially abused by a fan during a recent game.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ho-lee shit

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/ ... ne-for-now

Putin seems to be winning the war in Ukraine—for now

His biggest asset is Europe’s lack of strategic vision

...pretty gross to hear, right?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This is reportedly the only rail line between Russia and China. The tunnel is ~ 9.5 miles long, (the longest railroad tunnel in all of Russia), and is located in the area just north of Mongolia.

Ukrainian forces blown up four Russian fuel tanks on a supply train crossing the Severomuysky tunnel. Ukraine claims to have blown up a rail line deep inside Russia which is used to move military supplies, and connects to China. Security service sources said four explosive devices were set off which damaged a fuel train crossing the Severomuysky Tunnel. Video shows flaming wreckage scattered around the tracks as pro-Russian accounts said four fuel tanks were blown up. The tunnel is located almost 2,500 miles from the Ukraine border and, if confirmed to be the work of special forces, would mark a step up in terms of the distance at which they can operate.

Wagons full of fuel are burning, the image of a huge fire on railway line between Russia and China
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'll admit, I had to do a double take about the #likekanal13 hashtag
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

With support for Ukraine being a popularly-favorable item, but with MAGA culture war intransigence holding up congressional approval of further aid, I think the Biden administration should consider executive action.

Make MAGA take it all the way up to the Supreme Court, because (1) required sides-taking could be politically beneficial to the Ds’ 2024 hopes, and (2) an adverse result at the Court would at least, if the action is framed properly, result in some lines being drawn around the extent of executive power (which could be a lifesaver if 2024 goes to Trump).
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

aid to ukraine. no aid to ukraine. will have little to no bearing in 24.

you think the folks on the southside of chicago will be swayed by aid to ukraine.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:23 pm aid to ukraine. no aid to ukraine. will have little to no bearing in 24.

you think the folks on the southside of chicago will be swayed by aid to ukraine.
Please identify which "folks on the southside of chicago" you're speaking of.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, who’s saying support for Ukraine is popularly favorable?

I’d also be curious what direction that support has trended and is trending in the almost 2 years since the war started, and also what direction(s) it may trend in the almost year until the election.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the folks are growing weary. and are developing warfundingfatigue.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

but. the folks might perk up a little bit if say. we could secure our borders at the same time that we were funding multiple wars around the world.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:37 pm Wait, who’s saying support for Ukraine is popularly favorable?

I’d also be curious what direction that support has trended and is trending in the almost 2 years since the war started, and also what direction(s) it may trend in the almost year until the election.
Respectfully, you have played your way out of a discussion on why support might have eroded to a degree over these two years.

But here is data on what the support presently is: https://globalaffairs.org/research/publ ... ns%20agree.