Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by Sparko »

Worshipping Putin is a bad look Mich
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:26 pm This is a long post, but if you follow the link, it goes on even further explaining why the propaganda being spread about how much our support for Ukraine is costing Americans, is nearly total BS.

Opinion Ukraine aid’s best-kept secret: Most of the money stays in the U.S.A.

That’s right: Funds that lawmakers approve to arm Ukraine are not going directly to Ukraine but are being used stateside to build new weapons or to replace weapons sent to Kyiv from U.S. stockpiles. Of the $68 billion in military and related assistance Congress has approved since Russia invaded Ukraine, almost 90 percent is going to Americans, one analysis found.

[...]
(ESPN 30-For-30 Voice) : What if I told a Republican in December 2021 that, for the price of 1/20th of our defense budget (of which 1/20th, 90% would be spent on domestic production), we could in two years' time, and without putting any US troops in harm's way, take out 87.5% of Russia's troops and about 2/3 of its tanks?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/12/us/p ... sment.html
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

In other words: don't anyone open their goddamn mouth about the Rs being the party of smart spending.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what sort of losses have the Ukrainian people suffered?

I dunno if that article covers that, I just saw the couple paragraphs of free content
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:54 pm what sort of losses have the Ukrainian people suffered?

I dunno if that article covers that, I just saw the couple paragraphs of free content
The latest US intelligence assessment is that Ukraine has suffered about 200,000 dead+wounded.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:26 pm This is a long post, but if you follow the link, it goes on even further explaining why the propaganda being spread about how much our support for Ukraine is costing Americans, is nearly total BS.

That’s right: Funds that lawmakers approve to arm Ukraine are not going directly to Ukraine but are being used stateside to build new weapons or to replace weapons sent to Kyiv from U.S. stockpiles. Of the $68 billion in military and related assistance Congress has approved since Russia invaded Ukraine, almost 90 percent is going to Americans, one analysis found.
[...]
Gee, this seems to fly in the face of the talking point of Mich and other Republicans. They seem to make it sound like the big problem is that all this money is going overseas in a big box and handed out to foreigners instead of being used to benefit hardworking Americans.

Joe Biden and other Dems would be wise to make sure that a bigger light is shined on this and that more details are made available so people really understand how this money is actually spent.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:49 pm

[...]
Gee, this seems to fly in the face of the talking point of Mich and other Republicans. They seem to make it sound like the big problem is that all this money is going overseas in a big box and handed out to foreigners instead of being used to benefit hardworking Americans.

Joe Biden and other Dems would be wise to make sure that a bigger light is shined on this and that more details are made available so people really understand how this money is actually spent.
I don't disagree, but take our resident Fox News Uncle. He will listen to nothing Biden says. So when the bad-faith Rs launder their pro-Putin talking points through Fox, the Fox News Uncles of the world become intractably convinced that we're handing burlap sacks of cash right from the American taxpayer to scary people with long names with too many consonants.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

“the bad-faith Rs launder their pro-Putin talking points through Fox”…….fish ftw…………
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thought experiment:

So if in 11 months Trump is re-elected, and the policies of US-furnished endless wars in Ukraine, and/or Israel, and/or countless other shithole countries no one bats an eye about, are perpetuated by Trump…what then?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

oh please. you know the answer to that. the day after he is sworn in. those wars become meaningless. and the president becomes a bloodthirsty warmongering dictator cheetoheadmoosealeanni.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:54 am cheetoheadmoosealeanni.
These Olive Garden promotions just keep getting tastier.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:43 am Thought experiment:

So if in 11 months Trump is re-elected, and the policies of US-furnished endless wars in Ukraine, and/or Israel, and/or countless other shithole countries no one bats an eye about, are perpetuated by Trump…what then?
Stop lumping everything together.

This being the Ukraine thread, I will respond on Ukraine.

As you well know, Ukraine did not ask for Russia to wage war on Ukrainian soil. Ukraine should not be expected to give up one inch of its soil as a condition of "peace." Anyone who suggests otherwise IS, whether they want to or not, taking up a pro-Putin talking point.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:50 am

As you well know, Ukraine did not ask for Russia to wage war on Ukrainian soil. Ukraine should not be expected to give up one inch of its soil as a condition of "peace." Anyone who suggests otherwise IS, whether they want to or not, taking up a pro-Putin talking point.
"...Ukraine...Israel...shithole countries..."
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:11 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:50 am

"...Ukraine...Israel...shithole countries..."
Good point.

Ous, fair warning - you should probably walk back adopting Trump's bigoted diction here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dangit fish. This isn’t simply the Ukraine thread. It’s the war thread. As such, it’s precisely the place to lump all the US’s wars together.

Forgive me for using Trump’s bigoted diction. I’ll refrain.

I only did so in an attempt to make a point: that your guy’s views in this thread, on some practical material level, really are much, much, MUCH closer to Trump’s, than mine are.

But I know this discussion is futile. I shouldn’t have bothered.

Have a good day, you guys.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

sit tight. this board will be very anti war in Jan 25.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:46 am sit tight. this board will be very anti war in Jan 25.
Ah, back to the old "you only support this to support your candidate" shtick. Haven't you learned from all the other times you've been wrong about this that you're wrong about this? Wait, never mind, I forgot who I was talking to.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

they may be different wars. than the wars we have today. but i will predict whatever wars uncle has us funding at the time we have a transfer of power. will suddenly become very bad wars. that we must get ourselves out of.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:14 pm they may be different wars. than the wars we have today. but i will predict whatever wars uncle has us funding at the time we have a transfer of power. will suddenly become very bad wars. that we must get ourselves out of if you are a boot-licking autocrat republican
Fyp
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:35 am Dangit fish. This isn’t simply the Ukraine thread. It’s the war thread. As such, it’s precisely the place to lump all the US’s wars together.

Forgive me for using Trump’s bigoted diction. I’ll refrain.

I only did so in an attempt to make a point: that your guy’s views in this thread, on some practical material level, really are much, much, MUCH closer to Trump’s, than mine are.

But I know this discussion is futile. I shouldn’t have bothered.

Have a good day, you guys.
I don't think it's futile to discuss things. I think it's futile to put an apple, a coconut and a hand grenade in a box, and have a discussion about everything the box.