Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by MICHHAWK »

since when is blowing up a bridge a war crime! it’s strategy.

war is hell.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Strategery
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

no civilians allowed on that bridge during nighttime hours...hence the timing.

A little different than the Russians sending missiles into residential buildings during breakfast as they did last week.

I do feel for the country and those in it though, it will take years/decades to rebuild once the dust settles.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Where’d you see the no civilians during nighttime hours thing?

Who died on the bridge, then?

Was it a car bomb? Or something to do with the train? Or something else yet?

Between this and Nordstream and other stuff, it’s pretty freaky that all these international infrastructures are getting blown up, and no one’s taking credit for it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

New York Times going full Putin propaganda again
But a senior Ukrainian official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of a government ban on discussing the blast, confirmed that Ukraine’s intelligence services were behind the bombing and said that explosives had been loaded onto a truck that was driven onto the bridge and detonated.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/10/09 ... e-war-news
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i really don’t understand why this kind of infrastructure is being made into some kind of controversial target

it’s a war for god’s sake

bridges and rail lines are ALWAYS targets

if it were me, i would’ve absolutely targeted that specific bridge because if it’s strategic location, but also because of the symbolism of it being “putin’s bridge”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

no offense, but your double standard is showing again.

that article too mentions 3 killed in the bombing, but again doesn't say who. If it's presumably not civilians, presumably cuz of some nighttime rule, then at least I would appreciate TDub sharing his source to confirm. I've searched and haven't found anything to corroborate.

but if it IS civilians, then why oh why would the New York Times and everyone else shrug off dead civilians as a result of Ukrainian aggression, while we clutch pearls about dead civilians as a result of Russian aggression - in the same article, no less!

and if the NYT reporting is accurate, and Ukrainian intelligence is behind the blast, what's that say that a country may be employing suicide bombers?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you’re trying way too hard
TDub wrote: A little different than the Russians sending missiles into residential buildings during breakfast as they did last week.
if you can’t see the difference, that’s on you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and if the NYT reporting is accurate, and Ukrainian intelligence is behind the blast, what's that say that a country may be employing suicide bombers?

i don’t know? what’s it say? (or, rather, what do YOU think it says)

i’m still waiting for you to answer TDub’s questionnaire

shocking that you haven’t…shocking lol
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and re: suicide bombers

on its face, what it says to me is that there are people willing to die for their country

do you think the Ukrainian brass handcuffed the driver to the wheel and forced them to do this?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:37 pm ohh quiz time!

1. parts of it, apparently. Other parts of it, apparently not. All these independent republics and such are the damnedest thing! Forgive me if I can't quite figure out how to stand in solidarity with a nation that doesn't even stand with in solidarity with itself.

2. Yes

3. It depends! If it's Russia then yes. If it's Merica, "we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators"

4. No...unless, maybe...is there WMDs?

5. No. There's plenty to suggest there's more than just ONE nation attacking here. At the very least, this seems like just some he-said-she-said argument. On topics as complex and nuanced as global politics, I'm afraid there's not necessarily one neat tidy "who started it" moment to point the finger at. Stuff like that only exists in the rhetoric.

6. Again, am I supposed to just say there's ONE nation defending in Ukraine, or does Merica and the rest of the NATO posse count too, for their proxy support? And when so much of this started with Ukrainians fighting other Ukrainians, who's to say who's attacking and who's defending? But yea, either way, Russia was the one who most obviously crossed some border for the sake of some invasion, so fuck them. (that might more appropriately apply to question 5)

7. no, again, not just one. This shit is, and always has been, happening all over the world all the time. That's what makes Ukraine so unique! Merica not only decided the this conflict in particular deserves vast sums of our own (mostly just militant) resources, but we also afforded the attention of a 24-hour news cycle media campaign to keep reminding us so.

8. again, that depends on who's doing the annexing!

9. definitely not!

10. I'm for thorough and comprehensive accountability of war criminals, ALL war criminals, I don't care where they're from. let's just line every last one of them all up Nuremburg Trials style or whatever, and make examples out of every last one of them! But bear in mind, perhaps the single biggest consequence of accountability for war crimes on some objective world stage would be, the end of Merica as Mich knows it...
He did answer TrumperDub’s stupid quiz
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

my mistake

that’s what happens when you step away for a weekend
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol at those answers
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm not sure what rules of war say about suicide bombers.

Generally, that's something you only hear about some rogue "terrorists" perpetrating, not some official military.

I'll go out on a limb and guess there's some rule against any bombing of any civilian infrastructure with civilians around. Whether Russia does it, or Ukraine. Or anyone.

Regardless of who's perpetrating it, it's awful!

now, just for a moment, consider this analogy: what if someone reported Russia bombing civilian targets with civilians around, and Qusdahl comes around not to condemn it, but to instead compliment the "strategy," and say "i really don’t understand why this kind of infrastructure is being made into some kind of controversial target," and otherwise avoid the fact (likely) civilians died.

that would be an AWFUL take, right?

But it is really any better when you guys apply it to Ukrainian bombings?

Again, I condemn all this violence. All of it! Perpetrated by all the sides! Forgive me if I'm just not able to pick and choose which bombings to accept as conveniently as some of you guys do.

Honestly, your better move would have been to just say, "well since it's only Russian officials reporting 3 killed as a result of the bridge bombing, let's just assume it's more fake news."
Last edited by ousdahl on Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 am lol at those answers
oh, so you DON'T want through and comprehensive accountability of all war criminals?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I mean, the questions are stupid and the answers are stupid. What else would you expect.

Of course Ukraine bombed that bridge, they should have bombed that fucker on Day 1.

And, of course civilians die in war, that’s just the reality of life. But, we wouldn’t be in the situation if baby Putin didn’t start this thing in the first place. It is what it is.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I agree, Putin's a baby. Dude needs to be removed from power ASAP. Russian people rise up!

but, I still struggle to blame him exclusively and unilaterally. I think there's a lot more to it.

Bear in mind, Cuban missile crisis...remember how pissed we were when the USSR went to Cuba to point missiles at us? Howmuch we vilified the USSR for doing it? We treat that too as some spontaneous unilateral aggression, right?

cuz, how often do we also include the context that we went to places like Turkey and Italy and pointed missiles at the USSR first?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 am I'm not sure what rules of war say about suicide bombers.

Generally, that's something you only hear about some rogue "terrorists" perpetrating, not some official military.
you should really do some research

and please, explicitly define “civilian infrastructure”

are roads, bridges and rail lines now off limits?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I don’t care about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I also don’t care if Putin was or thinks he was provoked. He still started the war.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

cuz, how often do we also include the context that we went to places like Turkey and Italy and pointed missiles at the USSR first?

is this your stance on why you think the cuban middle crisis happened?