Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
Qusdahl

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by Qusdahl »

Yeah, of course you’re not over-simplifying.

Not in this analogy, at least.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:13 pm What the eff is this, seeking context and wondering if there’s other factors and shit?

It would be an awful lot easier to just take the goddamn kid’s word for it!
lol

i’m just trying to make your analogy more realistic
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

"What the eff is this, seeking context and wondering if there’s other factors and shit?"

That sarcastic remark is targeting the analogy or the overall argument?

If it's the former, that's weird, because an analogy is by it's very nature a simplification.

If it's the latter, it's inaccurate.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

The sarcasm is poking fun at the attitude exhibited toward the war, and against me, for much of this thread.

You guys didn’t take the bait for this analogy, though. You immediately sensed there was more to it, and sought context, and saw right through that kid’s finger pointing and everything…

…soooo now let’s do world war 3!

Not that world war 3 could *possibly* have more to it than kids roughhousing in the yard. Guess maybe that’s not a good analogy either, then.

Nope, WW3 is a comparative cake walk! Once you saw one side point the finger at the other, you now know exactly who the good guys are and the bad guys are, no further context necessary. It’s all so Crystal clear!

Now let’s all sit back and enjoy that flash.

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Vindman seems to be pretty knowledgeable. His analogy of Marco Rubio as "Secret Squirrel" is funny. Can we get him to run for political office?

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

If you listen to the entire podcast Oussie it might answer some of your questions.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Someone needs to do their WW2 homework. When Hitler began invading other countries and the US and other countries didn't intervene because they didn't want another world war, because they wanted to remain neutral, because they wanted peace it resulted in catastrophically higher death totals.

History has shown us you can't let a madman run roughshod all over Europe. Waiting idly being neutral makes things much worse. Twice as many people died in ww2 than ww1. There is a precedent for this. We've seen how nonintervention plays out.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Hell of an interview.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Reading Red Storm Rising for the first time in 20 years. Don’t know why I do this sort of thing; we watched Contagion the first real weekend of the pandemic.

I suppose there’s some psychological explanation having to do with an instinct to process the most extreme outcomes.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:58 pm Reading Red Storm Rising for the first time in 20 years. Don’t know why I do this sort of thing; we watched Contagion the first real weekend of the pandemic.

I suppose there’s some psychological explanation having to do with an instinct to process the most extreme outcomes.
oooh…might have to watch Red Dawn tonight

WOLVERINES!!
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:32 pm
Qusdahl wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:25 pm Not trying to bicker, but if I may respectfully ask - could you consider whether there’s any risk to the “now is not the time” sort of rhetoric?

That seems like precisely the kind of thinking the war machine propaganda wants to condition us to do. What good is being anti-war, if you’re supposed to suddenly keep quiet as soon as the war drums beat again?

If we DONT make the conversation broader, then aren’t we just making it narrower? Isn’t that playing right into the warmonger’s hands, by reducing the narrative from some actual understanding that might foster some actual dialogue toward peace, down to the oversimplified “good vs evil” sort of rhetoric it takes to gain public support for war?

That logic seems about as good as, the immediate aftermath of a mass shooting being “not the time” to discuss gun violence. Do we really need more thoughts and prayers?
that’s a false equivalence

the time to not talk about gun violence is in the middle of a mass shooting, while people are still loosing their lives and the shooter is actively roaming the halls
The “this is not the time” crowd better be gargling salt water and warming up the pipes.

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ruh roh
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Fascinating:

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:20 am Fascinating:

that image of the Fins with the reindeer is allsome
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

You guys, I feel better about this thread.

Not that I feel GOOD about it. But you know what I mean. Think I’ll at least be approaching it a little differently going forward. Thanks for putting up with my meltdown.

And yeah that reindeer pic is cool.

Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I wonder what our previous intel was on the condition of Russian army trucks and such.

And I’d be too much of a smartass, among other traits, to ever fit in a military, but if some asshole tried to get me to go fight and die for him on a stomach full of 2015 food, I would be, best case, dishonorably discharged in a hurry.

If you really expect me to get blown up then at least gimme a crappie po’boy or sumptin!

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Qusdahl wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:03 am You guys, I feel better about this thread.

Not that I feel GOOD about it. But you know what I mean. Think I’ll at least be approaching it a little differently going forward. Thanks for putting up with my meltdown.

And yeah that reindeer pic is cool.
You probably just have a case of cabin fever. Solstice is almost here. They should be installing lights in the Spud Lounge any day now. Backfill is going into the old crawl space starting today. The mud season is almost here.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

per WashPo:

after call with putin, Macron convinced that the worst is yet to come and that putin wants all of Ukraine
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:05 pm per WashPo:

after call with putin, Macron convinced that the worst is yet to come and that putin wants all of Ukraine
Unfortunately, no surprise there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They did agree to a ceasefire though to get civilians out and "deliver aid"
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG