Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by KUTradition »

Finland, come on down…you’re the next contestant…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yeah, it’s about to get real interesting.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Time to send in the A-Team to take Putin out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

lol

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/10997670 ... imes-trial

first Russian on trial for war crimes
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:07 pm https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/10997670 ... imes-trial

first Russian on trial for war crimes
good!

now how do we hold more war criminals accountable?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so this tweet thread is…something?

If we could do so without turning it into the automobiles thread, I’d be curious to hear some reactions.

It poses questions that we Mericans are conditioned to…just not ask? Or even refuse to consider? About what the US’s role is in foreign meddling, and whether merica should be accountable for war crimes too. And just generally how propagandized we are and have been.

I’ll admit, I haven’t researched every minute detail. But I don’t just blanket accept (nor reject) it either, nor should you.

and before you knee jerk accuse Qusdahl of being a Putin spam bot again, please consider this doesn’t even directly mention Russia, nor Ukraine.

Deleted User 863

Have you considered moving to a country that you don't seem to hate so much?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

tho fwiw I don't necessarily "hate" this country.

I just wish my tax dollars paid for fewer bombs and more healthcare, like the rest of the developed world.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 am so this tweet thread is…something?

If we could do so without turning it into the automobiles thread, I’d be curious to hear some reactions.

It poses questions that we Mericans are conditioned to…just not ask? Or even refuse to consider? About what the US’s role is in foreign meddling, and whether merica should be accountable for war crimes too. And just generally how propagandized we are and have been.

I’ll admit, I haven’t researched every minute detail. But I don’t just blanket accept (nor reject) it either, nor should you.

and before you knee jerk accuse Qusdahl of being a Putin spam bot again, please consider this doesn’t even directly mention Russia, nor Ukraine.

The American War Propaganda Machine has always been strong. The brainwashing here is as powerful as anywhere in the world. Look at mich's dumbass and his "greatest country by a WIDE margin" take. He actually believes that!

But, you can always play the revisionist history game with wars and conflicts.

Wars are messy, they suck but they're not going away. World peace is (probably) thousands of years away.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If you choose to ignore certain facts and highlight certain other facts, you can present any narrative. If the general point is that the US has at points in history behaved deplorably then I would agree with that. There isn't any argument against it.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:13 am

There isn't any argument against it.
Illy will be here shortly to disprove this theory
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Deleted User 863

Overlander wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:53 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:13 am

There isn't any argument against it.
Illy will be here shortly to disprove this theory
Not even I would argue against that.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if only it were about nazis

https://thehill.com/news/3518666-putin- ... lands/amp/

Putin compares self to Peter the Great, says he is taking back Russian lands
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:58 am if only it were about nazis

https://thehill.com/news/3518666-putin- ... lands/amp/

Putin compares self to Peter the Great, says he is taking back Russian lands
He finally said it out loud.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I haven't really seen anyone specifically trying to craft Ukraine as some sort of model of democracy and freedom. Maybe I don't pay enough attention but it seems that they are just being portrayed as a country who wants to retain their independence and whose people don't want to be bombed, shot, attacked, raped and pillaged by Russians.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:51 am
I haven't really seen anyone specifically trying to craft Ukraine as some sort of model of democracy and freedom. Maybe I don't pay enough attention but it seems that they are just being portrayed as a country who wants to retain their independence and whose people don't want to be bombed, shot, attacked, raped and pillaged by Russians.
Exactly.

Our help is much more about the innocent Ukrainian citizens than it is about the Ukranian government.

I am okay with that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:51 am
yea. Since you said it first, maybe you don't pay enough attention.

Cuuuuz...know how I know you didn't even read the link?
President Biden, in his March 26 remarks on the war, said the conflict was “a battle between democracy and autocracy, between liberty and repression, between a rules‐​based order and one governed by brute force.”

CNN’s John Blake literally compared Ukraine’s cause to America’s in its Revolutionary War. He claimed Ukrainians “are building their own monuments to democracy, with their blood.” The world, he said, “has been transfixed by their battle to repel the mighty Russian army and preserve the birth of democracy in their homeland.” He added that “the war in Ukraine isn’t just a geopolitical struggle—it’s a call to remember. The courage of the Ukrainian people is a reminder of what the U.S. used to be—a ‘beacon of liberty,’ where virtually every schoolchild memorized the ‘Concord Hymn’ poem inscribed at the base of the Minute Man statue.”

In a March 26 USA Today op‐​ed, John M. Bridgeland, director of the White House Domestic Policy Council under President George W. Bush, similarly expressed fawning admiration for Zelensky and Ukraine’s alleged commitment to democracy. “The world is seeing the bravery of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and the Ukrainian people, who are willing to die to defend their democracy and freedom,” he wrote. Indeed, Bridgeland said, “No cost is too high [for Ukrainians] to defend their democracy and beloved Ukraine.”

Fox News contributor and former CIA station chief Dan Hoffman contended that “What scares Vladimir Putin at the heart of this conflict is democracy. It’s not that NATO represents a threat.” He added that “Putin couldn’t stomach a democracy on his border with a Russian‐​speaking population and commercial links to Europe. That’s why he launched this brutal attack which has caused so many Ukrainian civilians, innocent civilians, to die.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:57 am
Exactly.

Our help is much more about the innocent Ukrainian citizens than it is about the Ukranian government.

I am okay with that.
Qusdahl's ok with that too!

but where you and he disagree is on whether the best way to "help" innocent Ukrainian citizens is to indiscriminately flood the place with weapons.

And don't even get Q started about whether we should spend more of that war purse on helping innocent U.S. citizens instead!