Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:34 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:53 pm it seems there is really just a difference in priorities here

one side is mainly worried about neo-nazis and the other is more worried about preventing putin from doing putin-things

EVERYONE that has participated in this thread, at least to my recollection, condemns nazis and is, in general, anti-war (maybe not dolomite, but whatever)

the neo-nazi situation isn’t going away anytime soon (if ever), and the US isn’t going to magically stop dealing with countries who have neo-nazi problems

putin (and his agressions), on the other hand, pose a much more immediate, identifiable, and approachable threat

i don’t disagree with any of your sentiments generally, ousie…i just think much of it is wishful thinking. eutopia doesn’t exist, and won’t ever, because humans will ALWAYS fuck shit up. it’d be nice if that wasn’t the case, but that is absolutely the reality of the situation
thought experiment:

what if, rather than mostly just sending weapons to Ukraine, the US was sending teachers instead?
Then they should make sure those teachers speak Russian.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, since it's our own teachers, surely the subject matter will be nothing less than freedom and democracy, right?

as for sending Russian speaking teachers, that might only validate the Russian annexation, which I at least still refuse to do, but apparently not you Putin parrots.

but I'm pretty sure that's all a trick question, it's all moot either way, cuz why in the fuck would Merica send fucking teachers when we could just send more weapons instead?

It's not like teachers do anything for Raytheon stock!
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

missed the point
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:05 pm missed the point
well then what is it, CoyDC?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:53 pm it seems there is really just a difference in priorities here

one side is mainly worried about neo-nazis and the other is more worried about preventing putin from doing putin-things

EVERYONE that has participated in this thread, at least to my recollection, condemns nazis and is, in general, anti-war (maybe not dolomite, but whatever)

the neo-nazi situation isn’t going away anytime soon (if ever), and the US isn’t going to magically stop dealing with countries who have neo-nazi problems

putin (and his agressions), on the other hand, pose a much more immediate, identifiable, and approachable threat

i don’t disagree with any of your sentiments generally, ousie…i just think much of it is wishful thinking. eutopia doesn’t exist, and won’t ever, because humans will ALWAYS fuck shit up. it’d be nice if that wasn’t the case, but that is absolutely the reality of the situation
thought experiment:

what if, rather than mostly just sending weapons to Ukraine, the US was sending teachers instead?
you want to send teachers into the active war zone of one sovereign nation being invaded by another nation?

What would they do there?

Can we just get to basics for one second.

Pop Quiz time: True/False exercise and essay portion. (just like teachers might use!)

1. Is Ukraine an independent, sovereign nation.

2. Is Russia a separate nation from Ukraine?

3. If one nation crosses the border of another nation with tanks and infantry and planes and shoots missiles into the other country. Is that an invasion?

4. Are invasions by foreign nations acceptable to you?

5. Is one nation attacking? if Yes, which one?

6. Is one nation defending? If yes, which one?

7. Is one nation attempting to redraw borders and annex portions of another nations current sovereign lands?

8. Is annexing land acceptable?

9. Should the world allow this action with no reprecussions.

10. Essay Portion: Explain your answer to #9: in your own words.

Assuming you said yes - please clarify what level of annexation and invasion are acceptable and define a set of rules for future invasions.

Assuming you said no: Please explain how this action, which is already well into motion, can be stymied without the use of funding and weaponry. Please note that the answer can include use of economic forces and sanctions but also note that, for this exercise, we will assume that many of those tactics are already deployed heavily.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:07 pm
That Ukraine would be Russia if we sent teachers instead of arms.......but...you knew that.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ohh quiz time!

1. parts of it, apparently. Other parts of it, apparently not. All these independent republics and such are the damnedest thing! Forgive me if I can't quite figure out how to stand in solidarity with a nation that doesn't even stand with in solidarity with itself.

2. Yes

3. It depends! If it's Russia then yes. If it's Merica, "we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators"

4. No...unless, maybe...is there WMDs?

5. No. There's plenty to suggest there's more than just ONE nation attacking here. At the very least, this seems like just some he-said-she-said argument. On topics as complex and nuanced as global politics, I'm afraid there's not necessarily one neat tidy "who started it" moment to point the finger at. Stuff like that only exists in the rhetoric.

6. Again, am I supposed to just say there's ONE nation defending in Ukraine, or does Merica and the rest of the NATO posse count too, for their proxy support? And when so much of this started with Ukrainians fighting other Ukrainians, who's to say who's attacking and who's defending? But yea, either way, Russia was the one who most obviously crossed some border for the sake of some invasion, so fuck them. (that might more appropriately apply to question 5)

7. no, again, not just one. This shit is, and always has been, happening all over the world all the time. That's what makes Ukraine so unique! Merica not only decided the this conflict in particular deserves vast sums of our own (mostly just militant) resources, but we also afforded the attention of a 24-hour news cycle media campaign to keep reminding us so.

8. again, that depends on who's doing the annexing!

9. definitely not!

10. I'm for thorough and comprehensive accountability of war criminals, ALL war criminals, I don't care where they're from. let's just line every last one of them all up Nuremburg Trials style or whatever, and make examples out of every last one of them! But bear in mind, perhaps the single biggest consequence of accountability for war crimes on some objective world stage would be, the end of Merica as Mich knows it...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:10 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:07 pm
That Ukraine would be Russia if we sent teachers instead of arms.......but...you knew that.
again.

trick question!

Merica's so busy spending money on the military that we can barely even afford teachers for our own country, let alone afford teachers for the rest of the world too.

where's the bumper sticker thread?

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Your quiz is due.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

here's a thought I just saw presented:

is there any plan in place for Ukraine to ever reimburse us for all the support we're giving them?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:35 pm here's a thought I just saw presented:

is there any plan in place for Ukraine to ever reimburse us for all the support we're giving them?
No
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:11 pmYour quiz is due.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:02 pm
sorry.....i just thought maybe if we broke it down to basics instead of getting so tangled up in the webs of grander conspiracy and/or societal theory we might find we were all closer to being on the same page than it seems.

plus, maybe if its broken down into the things impacting the more immediate situation Ous could explain his side directly addressing those areas and we could come to an understanding and move on.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:06 pm
sorry.....i just thought maybe if we broke it down to basics instead of getting so tangled up in the webs of grander conspiracy and/or societal theory we might find we were all closer to being on the same page than it seems.

plus, maybe if its broken down into the things impacting the more immediate situation Ous could explain his side directly addressing those areas and we could come to an understanding and move on.
Or, and I am just spitballing here….. you could fuck off
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:25 pm

wow. wtf is your problem dude?
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:57 pm The only silver lining to your presence here is that it does somewhat limit your ability to poison the minds of your family.
Awesome
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

in today's edition of "it's only war crimes when the bad guys do it"

(apparently)

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also

Zelensky nominated for a Nobel peace prize

Lulz
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

TDub wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:37 pm
Overlander wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:25 pm

wow. wtf is your problem dude?
Juvenile, that’s his problem.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:03 pm

thought experiment:

Then they should make sure those teachers speak Russian.
For the record, I condemn all Nazis, Neo or otherwise.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan