Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:14 pm is it true that you’ve gotta get a rib removed for that?
Now I had always heard that incels and neo-nazis and tucker and Qs and trumpublicans were just born with an extra vertebra in their spine that made them able to bend further. It is a result of some extra pure Aryan genetics or something I was told.

Your story sounds just as good though.

I would imagine that surgery taking place down in Trinidad CO in the same hospitals that do all of the sex change surgeries. Imagine the shit going down in the recovery rooms there when everyone wakes and asks, "what are you in here for?"
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:10 pm chilling place to visit

https://www.nps.gov/places/heart-mounta ... center.htm

i’m sure it’s nothing like the Holocaust sites, but it’s still quite the experience
The interment camps are part of the back story and inspiration for Roger Shimomura who taught painting at KU for more than 3 decades. His work is pretty interesting. I remember seeing his paintings in the Art & Design gallery at KU way back when.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

also can we take a moment to stop and appreciate that Woody Guthrie/Zuck photoshop cuz the internet is still undefeated.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:28 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:10 pm chilling place to visit

https://www.nps.gov/places/heart-mounta ... center.htm

i’m sure it’s nothing like the Holocaust sites, but it’s still quite the experience
The interment camps are part of the back story and inspiration for Roger Shimomura who taught painting at KU for more than 3 decades. His work is pretty interesting. I remember seeing his paintings in the Art & Design gallery at KU way back when.
that sounds vaguely familiar. have you mentioned it before?

unless i’m mistaken, George Takei was also interred with his family
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:09 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:51 am is this where Q rolls it back around full circle claims this was all a ruse "for the sake of discussion"?
Would that rolling back maneuver be considered autofellatio?

Asking for a friend.
I think that might have a claim to be the new thread title
Just Ledoux it
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

See, the thing about propaganda is, it’s only Russia who does it.

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Interestingly, Lavrov served under him so he should have some insight.

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

can’t vouch for its validity, but shocking and sad if true

(sorry, not sure how to embed this image)

https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/ ... gtaeJrE3r4
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Qusdahl wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:05 pm See, the thing about propaganda is, it’s only Russia who does it.

why do you immediately assume it’s propaganda?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Qusdahl wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:05 pm See, the thing about propaganda is, it’s only Russia who does it.

I think we thoroughly covered the fact that it isn't just Russia that does it. And I think most of us here understand the difference between propaganda that is just flat out lies and the messaging of specific factual pieces of information.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s what i was getting at…propaganda, by definition, tends to intentionally mislead or distort the truth by providing biased information

when the only information disseminated is filtered through the russian gov’t and putin, it’s pretty obvious that it can be considered propaganda

of course it happens in the US too, but the difference here us that our press is free to say and publish pretty much whatever they want, even if it puts our gov’t/military/officials in a bad light

a free press is part of the system of checks and balances we have in a free democracy, which is what “the west” is trying to defend against the likes of putin

you can, of course, choose to read and believe whatever sources you want…but the fact that we actually have the choice to watch msnbc or fauxnews should itself be an indication of where the biggest propaganda problems lie
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:46 pm that’s what i was getting at…propaganda, by definition, tends to intentionally mislead or distort the truth by providing biased information

when the only information disseminated is filtered through the russian gov’t and putin, it’s pretty obvious that it can be considered propaganda

of course it happens in the US too, but the difference here us that our press is free to say and publish pretty much whatever they want, even if it puts our gov’t/military/officials in a bad light

a free press is part of the system of checks and balances we have in a free democracy, which is what “the west” is trying to defend against the likes of putin

you can, of course, choose to read and believe whatever sources you want…but the fact that we actually have the choice to watch msnbc or fauxnews should itself be an indication of where the biggest propaganda problems lie
Agreed. Western media certainly provides their own slant to what they choose to cover or not cover as well as how it is presented to their audience but you can always go find out additional information by just looking for it. I don't call that "propaganda" just "targeted messaging". If you don't think it is accurate you can just go do a little research and learn more.

Russia is just making shit up and passing it off as information. We in the West obviously have context around so we (should) see that it's bullshit but when it is the only information provided to the Russians then I would definitely call that "propaganda".
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Yeah, but does it come with a catchy dance?

Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Imho propaganda can come in a lot of flavors.

It can be some blatant misinformation - “we’re gonna find US biolabs in Ukraine”” “we’re denazifying Europe!”

Or it can be more subtle and generally divisive, or loaded words, or some emotional appeal, or some bandwagon shit, or attempts to reduce a complex problem into simple terms: “this is a crystal clear battle between good and evil and you gotta pick a side!”

The name calling and dehumanization elements: “Orcs!” “Cockroaches!”

It can be a matter of denials or dismissals or discrediting sources or allegations, or glossing over negative elements, or downplaying issues contradictory to the cause: “but our tax dollars arming Ukrainian fascists is NBD cuz the greater evil is you parroting Putin” (sorry)

I think we all can be, and have been, guilty of it in some way or another. The important thing is to be as cognizant as possible of it, and be skeptical of everything. There’s too many competing interests at stake, particularly during war, to think the truth is black and white.

I’m grateful for our free speech and press, though I’m also skeptical of much of the press, considering it’s largely owned by the same corporate conglomerates and oligarchs, I mean billionaires, who have a stock in the MIC.

“Corporate media exists to manufacture consent for the oligarchy”

(But maybe even that quote is a little propagandistic in itself)

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you do know, though, that words actually have definitions, right?

just because YOU label something as propaganda doesn’t make it so
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Well of course.

Do you have a particular example in mind?

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Qusdahl wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:58 pm Well of course.

Do you have a particular example in mind?
this is a crystal clear battle between good and evil…

in the context of what is happening right now, this statement doesn’t qualify

the part i left out is absolutely your choice if you wanna pick a side or not

but, one country invading and declaring a de facto war on the other, wholly unprovoked, should leave little argument as to which side is in the right and which is in the wrong

and that pretty much the crux of all the issues others have taken with your posts on this matter…you’re magnifying all these other issues when there are literally bombs being dropped and people dying RIGHT NOW.

nobody is denying that other shit that has happened in Ukraine and in the US (and as a result of US decisions) is problematic in and of itself
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

imo, it’s the “yeah, but…” theme of your posts that has been so problematic
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Qusdahl wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:10 pm Yeah, but does it come with a catchy dance?
The covid/vaccine information did. I didnt hear any uproar from you about that?

*Disclaimer: I'm in no way trying to delve into that whole discussion that has been ongoing for 2 years....its just a side note specifically directed at this particular Q comment. Its interesting to me how individual people pick and choose what topics are their hot buttons for "questioning" the way of things.
Just Ledoux it